Canadian with Degree Overseas to Practice In the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twitchyzero

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have siblings working in the US as health professionals and I wish to eventually join them

Yes this option may seem convoluted. Obviously if I intended to practice in the US I should just attend a US dental program. But I want to apply everywhere to better my chances because my grades are not competitive.

With Oz/NZ/Ire having bilateral agreement with CDAC, a few programs are recognized to be equivalent to Canadian credentials and thus can take the Canadian boards.

I'm a bit confused as to the process.

1.If CDAC recognizes some schools abroad, does CODA also recognize these school because CODA recognizes Canadian credentials? if a = c and b = c thus a = b ?

2. If not, and I were to become a Canadian dentist first. Can I then write the US boards and the US system would accept the credentials from abroad?

Someone posed these question to CODA/CDAC and neither were able to give concrete answers.

Members don't see this ad.

If the reciprocal agreement is with Canada and not with USA then USA will not recognise it.
even if you become a Canadian dentist after graduating from another country when you look to apply to USA it clearly states that the requirement is a degree which is accredited by CODA.
just check the state where you want to practice in and check the dental licensing requirements it is mentioned there.
however some states will let you sit for licensing exams if you go through a 2 year AEGD program recognised by them, so which ever way you look at it, USA does not allow you to get a license there unless you're recognised by CODA or you do a minimum 2 yr program (DDS,AEGD etc - check the state dental licensing page for that)