Canadians at UK Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mildredjrt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am applying to RVC and Edinburgh next fall- wondering if any Canadians that applied/got accepted would be able to tell me what their GPA was, their experience etc... the UK schools are my back up in case I don't get into OVC in Ontario.

Thanks so much!
M

Members don't see this ad.

Just so you're aware, getting funding for non-Canadian schools can be difficult. Government loans are capped and are unlikely to cover the total cost. Even private loans may not be willing to give that much. So financing may be a bigger hurdle than applying. And if you can get financing, I'd strongly encourage applying to OVC as many times as you can or moving to establish residency in another province. Cost of attendance for the UK schools will put you into significant debt unless you're privately wealthy and that level of debt is nothing to sneeze at.

Oh trust me OVC is my #1 choice, because it is highly reputable and most affordable. But it has gotten so competitive the past few years that I feel I need a back up because I would really not like to give up my dreams of becoming a vet when my 86 average doesn't get me into OVC :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh trust me OVC is my #1 choice, because it is highly reputable and most affordable. But it has gotten so competitive the past few years that I feel I need a back up because I would really not like to give up my dreams of becoming a vet when my 86 average doesn't get me into OVC :(
Tuition alone at RVC is going to cost $268,000 at today's exchange rate. I'm gonna reiterate - look into the requirements for other Canadian schools and STRONGLY consider moving to establish residency. UPEI only requires a year living in the Atlantic provinces while not attending school to establish residency, and the way they calculate GPA can be very beneficial for some students.

Hello! I'm also from Canada and I've gotten in to Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow and RVC for this coming September. If you have an 86 average, then you should definitely be able to get accepted to RVC and Edinburgh! My overall university average (so all 4 years) was 81.6 and I got accepted to all UK+Ireland schools :)
Those schools look at your overall average, not just last 2 full time semesters + 8 prerequisites like OVC.

But good luck getting into OVC! It's definitely a much more affordable options! I'll be trying for OVC for the 3rd time this year so I don't have high hopes but we'll see! I'll be applying to OVC with 86.4% but unfortunately I don't think that'll be good enough :( I fear the average will be even higher this year now that the MCAT is gone, and it was already near 88% last year.

Hello! I'm also from Canada and I've gotten in to Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow and RVC for this coming September. If you have an 86 average, then you should definitely be able to get accepted to RVC and Edinburgh! My overall university average (so all 4 years) was 81.6 and I got accepted to all UK+Ireland schools :)
Those schools look at your overall average, not just last 2 full time semesters + 8 prerequisites like OVC.

But good luck getting into OVC! It's definitely a much more affordable options! I'll be trying for OVC for the 3rd time this year so I don't have high hopes but we'll see! I'll be applying to OVC with 86.4% but unfortunately I don't think that'll be good enough :( I fear the average will be even higher this year now that the MCAT is gone, and it was already near 88% last year.

Sorry for going off topic, but is 86% really not good enough for OVC? Do they make the decision mostly based on grades? Asking because I'm moving there to get residency and those stats are a little intimidating.

And their decision is 100% grades for interview, and then after interview it's 65% grades and 35% interview. You are also required to provide 3 letters of reference, write an essay and list all experience however the OVC website doesn't say how they take that into consideration.