Canceling interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m and m

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

To make sure I got enough interviews, I sent out way too many applications. Now I'm faced with having to cancel some interviews that I already set up a while back because I'm getting new offers from places that I would rather go to. The thing is, I've heard that you're supposed to give programs two weeks' notice if you have to cancel. Is it a major faux pas if you don't--if you only give like a week and a half? (I don't want to get blacklisted or anything.) :confused:
By the way, for those of you who have not gotten all the interviews you want yet, I've noticed that I got some interview offers well after people had posted that they had received interviews from those programs on this site.

Good luck to you all. May the force be with you.

Members don't see this ad.

1.5 weeks is cutting it close. I think it would depend. If you have to fly out or do a lot of driving for the interview, cancel it, but if its really nto that much of an inconvenience to interview there, go ahead and do that. I'm in the same boat as you... I applied to 44 programs, wasn't sure how competitive my application was (being a DO student), but have heard from 10 places before this week... so now I am in the boat of beginning to cancel some interviews...

I've had to a cancel a few already. Most places seem pretty friendly about it, if you tell them early. I'm sure they're glad to know so they can pass on their slot to another applicant.

I'm hoping it's good karma to cancel early, because I'm hoping at the same time I cancel some place I don't want to go, somebody who wanted to go to one of the places I haven't heard from yet is canceling an interview at those places and that slot will come to me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So when is the "acceptable" cancel time period? Do you think 2.5 weeks would suffice?

I've gotten quite a few invitations and want to cancel some. I don't feel like I am a superior applicant though, so I want to play it safe. It's frustrating trying to decide which to cancel since I really don't know that much about many of the programs.

How many is reasonable 10-15? 15-20?

Thanks & best of luck.

My "magic number" is 12 interviews. I filled up my dance card, and as the prettier ladies introduce themselves, I kick off some to make room for the newcomers.

12 isn't based on any kind of wisdom or science; just the best balance I personally could come up with to soothe my paranoia about going unmatched while not bankrupting myself with travel experiences and failing out of school for being gone so much.

You wanted my stats, here you go:
91.03 GPA... thats about 18% in my class, so top quintile.
COMLEX STEP I: 93% (607).
I didn't take the USMLE.

I have a lot of extra activities that make me a stronger candidate, but not everyone can have those... so those are my #s.
Q

Hi Quinn, thanks for posting your stats. Seems like you are doing pretty well in the interview process. I am trying to gauge myself for next year. I am a DO student as well. Classroom grades are 87 or so average (top 40% of class). COMLEX step I was 570 (81st percentile) and USMLE score was 200 (about 25th percentile, ugggh - painful). My clinical grades are pretty good so far. Mostly high pass with some plain pass or honors. I have virtually no med school extracurriculars. I am an older student with some interesting CV items to talk about - advanced degree and years spent in ED's thru prior work experience. The toughest part will be getting interviews, but I feel that I will do very well once my foot is in the door. The problem is getting in the door. I am planning on applying almost exclusively to ACGME spots, with probably a couple of dually accredited programs thrown in there. Any suggestions/comments/ideas on chances?

TIA

Arch

Obviously we'd like as much notice as possible for cancellations, but I don't think 2 weeks winds up being all that practical. Calling the day before doesn't give programs much chance to get someone else in to fill your vacant spot, but please do call and let us know- we definitely appreciate it (as do other candidates). Programs get lots of cancellations during the season, and we routinely fill them in with other candidates.

Marc Squillante, DO, FACEP
EM Program Director
OSF St. Francis Medical Center/ Univ. of Illinois College of Medicine @ Peoria, IL

Originally posted by Arch Guillotti
Hi Quinn, thanks for posting your stats. Seems like you are doing pretty well in the interview process. I am trying to gauge myself for next year. I am a DO student as well. Classroom grades are 87 or so average (top 40% of class). COMLEX step I was 570 (81st percentile) and USMLE score was 200 (about 25th percentile, ugggh - painful). My clinical grades are pretty good so far. Mostly high pass with some plain pass or honors. I have virtually no med school extracurriculars. I am an older student with some interesting CV items to talk about - advanced degree and years spent in ED's thru prior work experience. The toughest part will be getting interviews, but I feel that I will do very well once my foot is in the door. The problem is getting in the door. I am planning on applying almost exclusively to ACGME spots, with probably a couple of dually accredited programs thrown in there. Any suggestions/comments/ideas on chances?

TIA

Arch

Arch... you will have a good chance for Emergency Medicine IF you just show your committment to the field. Of course you will need basic #s... and your COMLEX scores and grades are good enough... so don't worry. Obviously it would be nice if you got a good USMLE score, but, that's the way the ball bounces. I think your experience in the ED will help. But you HAVE to remember, I am not a program director...

When I say I have 10+ interviews, don't be fooled into thinking that I am a stellar applicant or what not. I indeed hope to go to residency in the midwest or mid-east... but was not sure of my competitiveness, so I applied to several other programs in the NE to see what the fishnet would grab (obviously I would be very happy going to these places... I honestly don't care where I go, as long as its EM... that's the #1 priority).

What you need to do is set up 4th year elective rotations at places you want to go, bust your butt (but don't kiss butts), show the residents/attendings that you are good at what you do, get some decent letters, apply, and let the dice control you from there. I am nto sure what criteria the PD's use when reviewing ERAS applicatons... I've seen some great colleagues of mine (and on this website) get interviews at places I don't get, but I'll get interviews at places they don't get... so you can't really say there are certain rules/numbers that will get you in...

Good luck. Any other ?s feel free to ask.
Q