Cancelling an interview several days before

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissAmanda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out yesterday that I have been accepted to one of the medical schools I applied to that ranks high on my list (School A). However, I have an interview in 5 days at another school (School B). After School A, I now know I will for sure not attend school B, but seeing that it will be Tuesday (Monday is a holiday) before I can ask School B to cancel the interview, and the interview is scheduled for Friday, should I go to the interview anyway, so as not to be rude? I would be missing work, class, paying for a plane, and two nights of a hotel, but I would hate to come across as disrespectful or inconsiderate if I cancel. Not sure what to do here, or what is typical, since the interview is so close. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I found out yesterday that I have been accepted to one of the medical schools I applied to that ranks high on my list (School A). However, I have an interview in 5 days at another school (School B). After School A, I now know I will for sure not attend school B, but seeing that it will be Tuesday (Monday is a holiday) before I can ask School B to cancel the interview, and the interview is scheduled for Friday, should I go to the interview anyway, so as not to be rude? I would be missing work, class, paying for a plane, and two nights of a hotel, but I would hate to come across as disrespectful or inconsiderate if I cancel. Not sure what to do here, or what is typical, since the interview is so close. Please help!

You can cancel. Try to cancel as early as possible on Tuesday morning, and if possible, send an email now, and then follow up with a call on Tuesday. That would be the best possible scenario. Don't feel obligated to go to the interview. They will understand.

Congrats on the acceptance by the way!

I'd say this is halfway common and it would be pointless to go. Many times a school can get a local applicant to come on very short notice after a cancellation, so you might just make someone's day! But don't waste your time/money (and the school's).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just cancel. It's nice that you're a courteous person but don't take it so far as to buy plane tickets and travel somewhere just to please someone you don't even know. They'll understand. Congrats on getting in.

Thanks! That explains a lot, actually.

This is what happens when Winter break lasts longer than it should.

I didn't realize that tomorrow was a holiday until someone told me today. Good thing, too; I would've hated to make the hour-long commute to work, only to wonder why no one was there :oops:

I didn't realize that tomorrow was a holiday until someone told me today. Good thing, too; I would've hated to make the hour-long commute to work, only to wonder why no one was there :oops:
you might want to check on that, not everyone has it off :)

You should cancel, if you have 0 intention of going there, you would just be using up a spot.....And like someone above me said, they can find lots of people who will fly in on short notice....

You should cancel, if you have 0 intention of going there, you would just be using up a spot.....And like someone above me said, they can find lots of people who will fly in on short notice....

agreed.

there is always someone willing to take an interview spot. Back when I was holding zero acceptances around this time, I would have jumped in my car the and driven 8+ hours at a moments notice for an interview the next day if I got a call... not that this ever happened.

You can at least save the faculty a few hours of their time that they don't need to spend interviewing you/discussing you. If you don't intend to go to the school they'd appreciate you canceling, even if it's short notice.

Are you some sort of welcome mat that has somehow developed consciousness and the ability to post on forums?

Thank you everyone, what a relief! But how should I word the email/phone call to sound respectful and not silly?

To the Admissions Committee:

I have recently been accepted into my top choice medical school. As such, I would like to withdraw my application and cancel my interview at <name of medical school>.

Thank you,
<name>