cancelling mcat scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blowe46

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does this feature work? if you cancel the mcat scores does this mean the scores are not released to university no matter how well you do?

what happens if you do well and want to release your scores afterwards.
i found this on the student doctor forums.

On the day of the test, you are offered the "Score Release" option, which will allow you to choose whether your MCAT scores are released to medical schools. When your scores arrive about 60 days after the test, you can release them to the schools of your choice. If you do not like your scores, you do not have to send them. If you retake the test, perform better, and choose to release the second set of scores, medical schools will get a report indicating that you took the test twice, but they will only have access to your second score

any clarification would be nice. can schools still get yoru makrs if you choose to release the marks after you get them if you chose to cancel yoru scores?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that if you "cancel" the score, they don't even grade it. It's pretty final, once you cancel it's gone.

For score release, I'm pretty sure that you can hold back and see if you got a score you like. You can release it whenever you want. I'm not sure about that part where med schools only see your better score. My impression was that they see both but I could be wrong.

They see all, unless you are talking about a score prior to 2003. This is what's actually on the website:

Send selected scores to medical schools ...

This option appears if you have at least two sets of MCAT scores.

This option is exactly the same as the "Send all my scores" option, but allows you to exclude selected scores from the report. You cannot exclude scores from April 2003 and later. Please note, that the score reports that goes to the recipients includes the test date (but not the scores or the test conditions) for each MCAT you excluded. Some schools and programs do not accept score reports that exclude scores.

Mister Pie said:
My understanding is that if you "cancel" the score, they don't even grade it. It's pretty final, once you cancel it's gone.

For score release, I'm pretty sure that you can hold back and see if you got a score you like. You can release it whenever you want. I'm not sure about that part where med schools only see your better score. My impression was that they see both but I could be wrong.

i think that starting with the april '03 exam all MCAT scores are now reported to AMCAS, applicants no longer have the option to withhold them

Members don't see this ad :)
Arsenic810 said:
i think that starting with the april '03 exam all MCAT scores are now reported to AMCAS, applicants no longer have the option to withhold them

Ouch. Extra pressure!

gujuDoc said:
Yup. As per voiding scores on test day. That can only be done on test day and means it won't be graded.

but a school will still see you voided it right?

NilamPatel said:
but a school will still see you voided it right?

Nope. It'll just be as if you never even signed up. Well, you'll notice that the $200 is gone, but no, they won't know.