Can't choose

#dental4life

Pre-Dental = dental school try-hards :D
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Business or dentistry? And why

Members don't see this ad.

Dentistry to me seems like a more "noble" pursuit, if you will. Business (in my opinion) is like selling your soul to money. Also, in business, you lack a physical skill that you can market. Sure, you're good at talking to people and selling stuff; but it's not the same as a dentist who has an actual skill they've trained for and been licensed in. Also, dentists have more opportunity to actually help others in an obvious way. You can always combine the two as well..... I'm sure some dentists played roles in establishing large dental practices like Aspen and Gentle Dentist, and they're probably doing very well for themselves.

What is drawing you to each field? What is making you wary of each field?

Dentistry to me seems like a more "noble" pursuit, if you will. Business (in my opinion) is like selling your soul to money. Also, in business, you lack a physical skill that you can market. Sure, you're good at talking to people and selling stuff; but it's not the same as a dentist who has an actual skill they've trained for and been licensed in. Also, dentists have more opportunity to actually help others in an obvious way. You can always combine the two as well..... I'm sure some dentists played roles in establishing large dental practices like Aspen and Gentle Dentist, and they're probably doing very well for themselves.

What is drawing you to each field? What is making you wary of each field?

Why i want to go into business: so i dont have to work so hard and go to school for 8more years

Why i want to be a dentist: so I can help people in third world countries and people locally, also I can make a lot of money working only for days and actually have the money and time to enjoy life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't excessively worry about the years of training. 8 years of dental school is much better than a lifetime of looking back and thinking, "What if I had...?". Why can't you do both? You could easily major in Business while taking dental Pre-reqs, and decide later on in your undergraduate career? That way both doors are open, and you can have more time to decide if you can handle the science/length of schooling.

And if you DO decide on Dentistry, that Business degree could be a big help in eventually running your own practice.

I wouldn't excessively worry about the years of training. 8 years of dental school is much better than a lifetime of looking back and thinking, "What if I had...?". Why can't you do both? You could easily major in Business while taking dental Pre-reqs, and decide later on in your undergraduate career? That way both doors are open, and you can have more time to decide if you can handle the science/length of schooling.

And if you DO decide on Dentistry, that Business degree could be a big help in eventually running your own practice.

That true. I should just be a dentist and never regret :D

dental school is only 4 years after your undergraduate degree, barring any residency you do.

Ask people who've been through each path. I noticed how misleading these posts are with dentistry (it's not that simple).

I'm gonna say that you gotta either enjoy dentistry OR enjoy treating people unnecessary procedures to "make a lot of money working only for days."

It's foolish to choose without first observing and interviewing dentists (you should be able to tell which ones are in it for only the money and which ones aren't). You might not even like dentistry and then will become disappointed at how slowly you're paying off your loans.

Also, think about the reason for asking this on the internet. If even YOU don't know why you're going into dentistry, then how will you honestly write your personal statement and explain your "why?" Are you seriously going to BS yourself and others for money? At least you wouldn't be BSing anyone by going into business (which can "help people in third world countries and people locally" as well).

Do whatever it takes to figure out what you truly want in life and if dentistry will provide that.

Last edited:
Ask people who've been through each path. I noticed how misleading these posts are with dentistry (it's not that simple).

I'm gonna say that you gotta either enjoy dentistry OR enjoy treating people unnecessary procedures to "make a lot of money working only for days."

It's foolish to choose without first observing and interviewing dentists (you should be able to tell which ones are in it for only the money and which ones aren't). You might not even like dentistry and then will become disappointed at how slowly you're paying off your loans.

Also, think about the reason for asking this on the internet. If even YOU don't know why you're going into dentistry, then how will you honestly write your personal statement and explain your "why?" Are you seriously going to BS yourself and others for money? At least you wouldn't be BSing anyone by going into business (which can "help people in third world countries and people locally" as well).

Do whatever it takes to figure out what you truly want in life and if dentistry will provide that.

Ah, of course i know why I'm going into dentistry.