Can't impress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xs33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing my first anesthesia elective ever as a new 4th year. I'm becoming more and more positive I want to enter this specialty, and the institution at which I'm doing my current rotation is one where I'd LOVE to match. On this rotation, I'm showing up every day enthusiastic, wanting to help, asking a ton of well thought out questions about the case. Here's the problem: I think I'm doing poorly with procedural skills, and I'm terrified that I'm not going to get any better and this particular institution will write me off for a residency slot. On my first day, I got 1 of 3 intubations. Today, I got 0 of 3 IV's. To be fair, the resident had a difficult time with 2 of those too. My attending doesn't care at all and said it took him forever to learn IV's and then he actually had a very hard time with patient #4 himself. (All are adults.) oh, and then I couldn't place my first Lma. Id watched all kInds of videos online but I felt a lot of resistance while doing it so I stopped as soon as I noticed resistance. The patient, according to the attending & resident, was very unusually tense and hadn't responded to the IV agents much at all yet. The resident then tried to force it down more and finally the attending tOok over and there was sOme blood on the LMA and the resident says he thinks it was him forcing it. Again, absolutely no one has made me feel even the slightest bit like I'm abnormally incompetent at anything right now. But I'm so terrified because I really wanted to go here for residency. I just look so inadequate right now. The rest of my application including all my other rotations is fantastic, but I think I'm about to ruin my chances even though Im working as hard as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing my first anesthesia elective ever as a new 4th year. I'm becoming more and more positive I want to enter this specialty, and the institution at which I'm doing my current rotation is one where I'd LOVE to match. On this rotation, I'm showing up every day enthusiastic, wanting to help, asking a ton of well thought out questions about the case. Here's the problem: I think I'm doing poorly with procedural skills, and I'm terrified that I'm not going to get any better and this particular institution will write me off for a residency slot. On my first day, I got 1 of 3 intubations. Today, I got 0 of 3 IV's. To be fair, the resident had a difficult time with 2 of those too. My attending doesn't care at all and said it took him forever to learn IV's and then he actually had a very hard time with patient #4 himself. (All are adults.) oh, and then I couldn't place my first Lma. Id watched all kInds of videos online but I felt a lot of resistance while doing it so I stopped as soon as I noticed resistance. The patient, according to the attending & resident, was very unusually tense and hadn't responded to the IV agents much at all yet. The resident then tried to force it down more and finally the attending tOok over and there was sOme blood on the LMA and the resident says he thinks it was him forcing it. Again, absolutely no one has made me feel even the slightest bit like I'm abnormally incompetent at anything right now. But I'm so terrified because I really wanted to go here for residency. I just look so inadequate right now. The rest of my application including all my other rotations is fantastic, but I think I'm about to ruin my chances even though Im working as hard as I can.

Don't sweat it. Those are "monkey skills" that everyone can learn. The other stuff will be much more important. The skills come with time and practice. Just when you think you are really good at something, a patient comes along that will humble you no matter how long you have been doing it.

Keep up the good work.

Don't sweat it. Those are "monkey skills" that everyone can learn. The other stuff will be much more important. The skills come with time and practice. Just when you think you are really good at something, a patient comes along that will humble you no matter how long you have been doing it.

Keep up the good work.

Agreed with above.

I know I wasn't perfect on intubations or placing arterial lines, IV sticks, etc.

If anything, I KNOW my weakness is a-lines/IVs... it's something I look to improve during my intern and CA years.

I think the important thing is that you are:

1. enthusiastic and willing to learn
2. hard working: willing to do anything possible to help the res/attending make their lives easier
3. ask good questions
4. read up on pharm/physio/pathophys: in case you get pimped
5. if you're in the SICU/Crit Care arena (at any point), take ownership of your pt, work alongside your resident, assist in the plan. Be ready to answer questions, so know your pt.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you could put in a-lines, LMAs, IVs, central lines, endo tube intubations as a medical student, what would be the point of residency? I can say as a med student I couldn't intubate, draw blood, put an IV, etc etc. When I was an intern, I had my 4th year sub-I's do my IV's because I sucked at it. Now as I finish my CA-2 year, I am pretty much comfortable doing any procedure in the OR without assistance.

Enjoy med school and your anesthesia electives. Rock your USMLEs, don't wear white socks with your interview suit and everything will fall into place

don't wear white socks with your interview suit and everything will fall into place

dirk-wears-white-sox.jpg

Unless yourname is Dirk:)

i would expect good IV skills from you until you are 18 months into residency. all you should do until then is be prompt, courteous and interested.

FRIEND! Please take a deep breath-- you are going to give yourself a stress ulcer! 2 posts in two days about things you haven't excelled at in your MED STUDENT rotation in anesthesiology-- anesthesiology has a very steep learning curve. You are doing all of the things necessary to impress your attendings/residents-- showing enthusiasm and being ready to learn and work. Show up for when your resident sets up the room so you can see what goes into it. DO NOT stress about each and every procedure you didn't get. As long as you do what your attendings/residents suggest when doing the procedures, that is what matters-- they are not grading you on percent of successful IVs and tubes-- that does not impress-- it's willingness to learn to do it right and taking initiative to try without being irresponsible. Deep breath, ok?

Just a lowly second year but you need to chill. No I am not one of those tools that studies all the time and suggests others do nothing. From your post, you seem very new into the rotation. I could distill everything you said down to, "its my first day and I am frustrated I don't have the skills of an attending". I think the fact that you care so much and want to excel is apparent to the residents and attendings. Just remember if you get too frazzled and unwind yourself that could also be a negative thing. Best of luck.

Just to echo what everyone else has said, DON'T WORRY!

Nobody expects you to be a rockstar at procedures. In fact, nobody expects you to have any skills whatsoever. Realize this and take advantage. Anything you can do well is icing on the cake, because expectations are low!

What attendings are looking for are people who are interested, enthusiastic, and good listeners. Keep reading, and asking good questions. The procedures will come with time. Certainly solicit feedback and then LISTEN to what people are telling you.

I've had med students in my room that act like know-it-alls to the attendings, despite the fact that they clearly need help with procedures. Nobody is going to remember if you missed some IVs or intubations. What they will remember (and not in a good way) is if you act like a know-it-all or don't take feedback. This says "I'm not teachable", which is not what anyone is looking for in a potential resident.

Hang in there, keep reading and have fun!

Doomed for internal medicine, I say.

FRIEND! Please take a deep breath-- you are going to give yourself a stress ulcer! 2 posts in two days about things you haven't excelled at in your MED STUDENT rotation in anesthesiology-- anesthesiology has a very steep learning curve. You are doing all of the things necessary to impress your attendings/residents-- showing enthusiasm and being ready to learn and work. Show up for when your resident sets up the room so you can see what goes into it. DO NOT stress about each and every procedure you didn't get. As long as you do what your attendings/residents suggest when doing the procedures, that is what matters-- they are not grading you on percent of successful IVs and tubes-- that does not impress-- it's willingness to learn to do it right and taking initiative to try without being irresponsible. Deep breath, ok?
:thumbup:
I don't expect a medical student to be able to do anything, except try to show some interest, and not be annoying.;)
P.S. If you are a know it all type, challenging, painful, etc you will be annihilated. Not that you are, but I'm sure some reading this are. Hell, one of our fellows still is.:(

I really appreciate everyone's responses. Thanks. I guess I just find myself caring so much about these issues because I'm becoming more & more passionate about going into this field -- it hit me like a ton of rocks, and I can no longer picture doing anything else! I'm not required to take any call on this rotation, but I'm going to do at least one per week to gain extra experience (I was told that I'm welcome to do that).