Cant wait for 2nd year to end..so over this classroom stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alisepeep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im so over this cliquiness of med school in the preclinical years. And having to be in a classroom :/. Whos with me???>?

Members don't see this ad.

I was over having to be in a classroom since 6th grade.

3rd year isn't much different. You're expected to perform on standardized exams that have very little to do with what you see day in and day out. You have to do a lot of studying after you've spent 8 hours in the hospital. And there's no one to teach you.

Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year isn't much different. You're expected to perform on standardized exams that have very little to do with what you see day in and day out. You have to do a lot of studying after you've spent 8 hours in the hospital. And there's no one to teach you.

lucky you...

Im so over this cliquiness of med school in the preclinical years. And having to be in a classroom :/. Whos with me???>?

Don't worry. Next year when you're on the wards getting scutted out, standing in the OR for hours without acknowledgement or pimped on rounds on esoterica, you'll be wishing you were back in class sometimes. Enjoy the time you're in. It's really a treat to be able to have protected time to learn the foundations of medical science. You'll miss it when it's gone.

can't decide if my lack of freak out mode and chilled out study method (which is not normal for me), is a sign of me being over second year..... or is a sign that i've just accepted the weekly test hell that is med school. either way, it could be a good or bad thing. we will see by Friday afternoon. :confused:

I don't mind classes for the most part, but some of the stupid bull**** they make you attend (OR DOCK YOUR PROFESSIONALISM SCORE) pisses me off.

Don't worry. Next year when you're on the wards getting scutted out, standing in the OR for hours without acknowledgement or pimped on rounds on esoterica, you'll be wishing you were back in class sometimes. Enjoy the time you're in. It's really a treat to be able to have protected time to learn the foundations of medical science. You'll miss it when it's gone.

Yeahhh.. something I didn't get when I was a second year but now understand all too well. MS1 and MS2 sucked both in their own way.. MS1 particularly more than MS2 but now looking back at it I miss the "student" life. Rotations are eh.. you think u will be doing real doctor stuff but u aren't.. and like a previous poster said the shelf exams test stuff that u hafta read anyway so the studying doesn't really end, it just changes to on the go downtime while ur in the hospital or when ur dead tired at home after a long day.. and it doesn't feel nearly as rewarding as when u learned some of the stuff in MS2 IMO.

I don't mind classes for the most part, but some of the stupid bull**** they make you attend (OR DOCK YOUR PROFESSIONALISM SCORE) pisses me off.

:thumbup: I KNOW!!! My school has mandatory meditation sessions in MS1 (I kid you not). Since when was meditation part of professional behavior?

Amen. Working as an EMT for years before entering med school i felt like i actually took a step BACKWARDS in some ways. Definitely ready to move on.

In what way?

I know that its completely necessary to learn the stuff in the way that we do, but somehow learning about the pathophysiology of CHF in gross detail doesn't match up with witnessing acute CHF exacerbation with no relief following CPAP, lasix, etc. ultimately leading to intubation. It's one thing to listen to textbook recordings of rales, rhonchi, etc. than to be out in the field appreciating those findings for yourself and matching patient presentations with what you auscultate to get a feel for who is "sick" and who is "less sick"

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm just looking forward to being done with the books and moving on to learning in a clinical setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that its completely necessary to learn the stuff in the way that we do, but somehow learning about the pathophysiology of CHF in gross detail doesn't match up with witnessing acute CHF exacerbation with no relief following CPAP, lasix, etc. ultimately leading to intubation. It's one thing to listen to textbook recordings of rales, rhonchi, etc. than to be out in the field appreciating those findings for yourself and matching patient presentations with what you auscultate to get a feel for who is "sick" and who is "less sick"

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm just looking forward to being done with the books and moving on to learning in a clinical setting.

Uh yeah.. thats what clinical rotations are for.. you need the knowledge to be able to use it and trust me I was an EMT ur knowledge of CHF or any particular disease entity is very superficial compared to what u will learn in medical school which is why ur a doctor when ur done, not an EMT.

I gave up on going to class in M1 year... I go to the library separate from my med school with two of my classmates and we study there all day... it gives me time to go to the gym in the middle of the day (except this week because we have exams next week)...

The only frustrating part of M2 year for me is that we now have 6 week exam blocks... so this Monday I'll be taking 6 weeks of material in 5 different classes all in two days.... I need sleep....

M3 is a million times better than M1/M2 year. Especially if your residents/attendings are chill.

I'd say 90% of M2 year is very relevant to day-day stuff in the clinic. Maybe 30% of M1 year has been relevant thus far (with the vast majority of that being physiology).

The only thing I "miss" is not having control of my schedule (I never went to class during M1/M2).

M3 is a million times better than M1/M2 year. Especially if your residents/attendings are chill.

I'd say 90% of M2 year is very relevant to day-day stuff in the clinic. Maybe 30% of M1 year has been relevant thus far (with the vast majority of that being physiology).

The only thing I "miss" is not having control of my schedule (I never went to class during M1/M2).

I agree with this. Except feel that 30 % for m-1 is generous. And closer to 60-70 % for m-2. We studied a lot of pathology minutia as if we were preparing to sit at a microscope for our careers.

There remains also the tension, as others have indicated, between what old docs want to teach about their specialty and what's demanded by the standardized shelf exams. These docs were doing procedures as med students. These are different times. With different measures. But they just keep hammering away at the things they were taught 100 years ago.

Some are better than others but the gulf remains. I'd be perfectly happy learning from patients, experience, and older docs. But the shelf has its own reckoning. So it's work all day--12 hours at least, not 8--and then study.

All that said. This is better than m2 and WAY better than m1. And yes it's a more grown up affair where common sense, good manners, and giving a f@ck about other people has more to say about your performance than it did previously.

Second year was awful. I hated life. I worked harder than I ever had and ever will again. 12 hours a day 6 days a week. I got fat. I got angry. I think I might have been depressed. i was mean to old friends, I was mean to new ones. I literally hated everything about medical school.

I promise that it is worth it. If what you wanted out of medical school was the chance to heal the sick, mend the wounded, solve diagnostic dilemmas and make an impact on people's lives, you will. Granted, you are the trainee. You know the least. You can do the least. But, at least, as an MS3, you finally get to SEE patients. You start ACTUALLY doctoring.

It isn't magical full of ponies and fairies. The clouds do not part and a ray of sunshine does not constantly follow you around. But... I feel you. That high school mentality that 25 year olds seem to cling to will disintegrate. People I "hated" I suddenly realized I appreciated as I worked with them. I, the arrongant ******* no one liked, suddenly became the person people wanted to work with.

Honestly. Second year is the hardest spot in medical school. Grades, Step 1, flooding with seemingly nonsensical information that overwhelms you, won't let you go... it hurts. But everything you learn is worth it. YOu will apply it. And once you are over that hump, things get much better. And much better quickly.

You aren't alone. Hang in there. It gets better.

Mandatory crap is mandatory bc its so worthless that no one would attend.

Mandatory crap is mandatory bc its so worthless that no one would attend.

M2 is definitely pretty depressing so far. Pretty much study non-stop, but now as opposed to M1 where the studying paid off it seems like all this studying might not even yield the same grades. I miss sunlight and human interaction that doesn't involve mandatory small groups.

Last edited:
M2 is definitely pretty depressing so far. Pretty much study non-stop, but now as opposed to M1 where the studying paid off it seems like all this studying might not even yield the same grades. I miss sunlight and human interaction that doesn't involve mandatory small groups.

I'm with you. The crowd who says 3rd year sucks probably like solo studying and are introverted. If you like people more than books and don't mind working hard then third year will probably be better.

Studying all day with freedom is much worse than working all day with people. Lots of students are super arrogant, saying they get treated poorly or asked to do menial things. F' it, I'll clean the toilet or do whatever. If you've worked hard jobs before then you can understand M3 isn't torture.

Doctoring = winning!!!!

I'm with you. The crowd who says 3rd year sucks probably like solo studying and are introverted. If you like people more than books and don't mind working hard then third year will probably be better.

Studying all day with freedom is much worse than working all day with people. Lots of students are super arrogant, saying they get treated poorly or asked to do menial things. F' it, I'll clean the toilet or do whatever. If you've worked hard jobs before then you can understand M3 isn't torture.

Doctoring = winning!!!!

Yeah, having to study on top of being in clinic all day is just awesome! Who needs free time away from school. And no, what you see on clinic is not what you need to know to do well on the shelf exams. :rolleyes:

Each have their ups and downs. I hated studying all day in M1/M2, it was definitely not what I signed up for when going to med school. For me rotations are a ton better and more interesting. I feel I have enough down time on the wards to get my studying in so I don't have to when I get home.

The things I really miss about M1/M2 though, are on those days when you just did not want to get up I could just shut off my alarm and go back to sleep. You can't do that on rotations, that and no longer being around people that have the same schedule and nothing better to do then go out for drinks, or other random things we would do. Overall rotations dictate your schedule something I miss about the pre-clinical years.

Doctoring = winning!!!!

Your opinion is meaningless until you've done it. Being a third year is not doctoring its getting bi*ched around and talked to like ur an idiot who knows nothing.. which you will soon realize that even with your great step 1 score they r right and u know nothing. I will say that the beginning of the rotation is def chill because u can go home and do nothing but stress builds up pretty high as the shelf starts to loom, and those things aren't easy and like a previous poster stated rarely have anything to do with what you've seen or done on rotations. Another thing that sucks about studying 3rd year is its basically from review books and not notes/lectures which takes some getting used to although u will have lectures, they just won't be on ur level but ull have to go to them anyway because ur residents do.

But yeah things r not that bad.. at least ur closer to 4th year and finishing med school. And yeah MS1 I would never repeat but idk I enjoyed 2nd year a lot more than I thought I would .. before boards that is. And trust me I am far from introverted.

Your opinion is meaningless until you've done it. Being a third year is not doctoring its getting bi*ched around and talked to like ur an idiot who knows nothing.. which you will soon realize that even with your great step 1 score they r right and u know nothing. I will say that the beginning of the rotation is def chill because u can go home and do nothing but stress builds up pretty high as the shelf starts to loom, and those things aren't easy and like a previous poster stated rarely have anything to do with what you've seen or done on rotations. Another thing that sucks about studying 3rd year is its basically from review books and not notes/lectures which takes some getting used to although u will have lectures, they just won't be on ur level but ull have to go to them anyway because ur residents do.

But yeah things r not that bad.. at least ur closer to 4th year and finishing med school. And yeah MS1 I would never repeat but idk I enjoyed 2nd year a lot more than I thought I would .. before boards that is. And trust me I am far from introverted.

Completely agree with all of this. Especially the "not knowing anything" part. I never realized how little I actually knew until I started rotations.

M3 is just another hoop to jump through, which is far more difficult than anything in the past. M1 and 2 were cake compared to this (imo). All you had to do was study and pass tests. I had tons of free time back then.

Completely agree with all of this. Especially the "not knowing anything" part. I never realized how little I actually knew until I started rotations.

M3 is just another hoop to jump through, which is far more difficult than anything in the past. M1 and 2 were cake compared to this (imo). All you had to do was study and pass tests. I had tons of free time back then.

It all sucks. You play the game until you're an attending. Then you have the money and time to enjoy your life. The lack of control over your schedule makes M3 unpleasant. Fortunately, medical school isn't especially challenging. Dealing with all the frustrating inefficiencies and hoops that you have to jump through is what makes it not that fun.

Doctoring = winning!!!!

You are a PA.

Pretty much this. When she shelf counts for a decent portion of your grade and you realize that most of what you're expected to know for it you haven't seen can really freak you out.

On the other hand when you get that resident/attending that lets you really play doctor and you nail the assessment and plan it puts you on cloud 9. Or when they say "Nice suturing. I expected you to completely **** it up." it's pretty cool.

Last edited:

I know the frustration.

If you have the chance, keep working 3rd and 4th year. EMS becomes really fun as a 4th year, because you usually know exactly what's going on, have tons of autonomy, and very little responsibility relative to your knowledge (OK, the last part is occasionally frustrating).

Agreed. MS3 was a hard, hard year, no matter how much clinical experience you brought with you or how well you expected to do. So much of it is just an awkward mess wherein you're constantly struggling to prove yourself to all new people every 2-4 weeks and your grades are often unrelated to your actual knowledge or ability.

....and that's from someone who loves med school and would say they enjoyed MS3 on the whole. Be careful what you wish for. I had so much free time as an MS2 that I never appreciated.

4th year is pretty much the best thing ever, though.

Agreed. MS3 was a hard, hard year, no matter how much clinical experience you brought with you or how well you expected to do. So much of it is just an awkward mess wherein you're constantly struggling to prove yourself to all new people every 2-4 weeks and your grades are often unrelated to your actual knowledge or ability.

....and that's from someone who loves med school and would say they enjoyed MS3 on the whole. Be careful what you wish for. I had so much free time as an MS2 that I never appreciated.

4th year is pretty much the best thing ever, though.

Good to hear. You describe my current struggles and future hopes. I hope I can start to make some sense of all that's flying past me, all that's above my head, and all that I have to learn from books to pass my shelf this coming Monday.

This constant tension is way more rigorous than M2. But...idk I suppose my imagination for the pending responsibility of internship is keener than my ability to take the academic minutia of step 1 as seriously.

There seem to be those on my rotation who acclimate well to a sort of slinking sneakiness, privy to exclusive shelf prep and shirking of team responsibility. Part of me thinks they're smarter than me. Part of me is stubborn enough to keep pretending I'm about to be an intern and to keep working hard to present on patients that sometimes no one has time to ask me about.

This sort of tricky balance and gaming is above and beyond my lax daily schedule as an m2.

I'm still struggling with how do it right.

I never said I knew anything, just that working with people is better than studying. It appears you liked 3rd year more than preclinicals also.

And my opinion means the same to me today as it will 5 years from now. Your appraisal is meaningless to me, or any of the other know it all med students! Funny that you guys think that being a year or two ahead means that I care about your opinions or what you think of mine.:laugh:

First it's "you're only a premed" then "you're only preclinical" then "only a med student" then "only a resident" then "only a fresh attending". Lol, if anyone places value in your bs system they would have to wait a decade before their opinion mattered.... Unless of course you get to crap on someone lower in the food chain. What a joke. But the best part is that you guys actually buy into the idea that being 12-24 months ahead means your opinions should hold weight in another persons mind. As if you have something that they might want or some value to give them. The truth is that you could approve or completely disapprove of everything I say and that would make zero difference in the world.

Last edited:
I never said I knew anything, just that working with people is better than studying. It appears you liked 3rd year more than preclinicals also.

And my opinion means the same to me today as it will 5 years from now. Your appraisal is meaningless to me, or any of the other know it all med students! Funny that you guys think that being a year or two ahead means that I care about your opinions or what you think of mine.:laugh:

You might want to rethink that approach prior to 3rd year.

You might want to rethink that approach prior to 3rd year.

Nope. People only have power over you if they have something you want.

I will do my best and respect those that are worthy of it but there is nothing they have that I need.

As if being a PA is a bad thing, score one for the pretentious douchebags! Let's make fun of nurses now or anyone who is at a lower level of training.

Being a PA is not a bad thing. I never said it was.

All I did was describe you based off your post. As an M3, you want to pretend to be a doctor by doing all the grunt work but you struggle/dislike mastering the breadth of medicine, which is acquired through dedicated self-study and application of those long hours on the wards.

You want to be a doctor without doing what is necessary to be one. That's how I view CRNAs/PAs/NPs/whatever who think they can do a physician's job without the studying. As an M3, "cleaning toilets" or such menial work does not make you a better doctor. Reading and mastering voluminous amounts of medical information and utilizing that in the care of patients does.

Nope. People only have power over you if they have something you want.

I will do my best and respect those that are worthy of it but there is nothing they have that I need.

I guarantee you will not honor a single rotation. One might call you a fool, others will see you as an idiot but you of course see yourself as right.

I think we're being trolled. Moving on...

2nd year is slightly worse than 1st year. 3rd year is way worse than 2nd year.

You're at the hospital 10-12 hours/per day and then still have to study a lot for the shelf at the end. You're only going to Honor if you do well on the Shelf, so you have to study a lot for it. Overall, it's not as much studying as in 1st and 2nd year, but I'd say it's still half of that quantity. The studying is less efficient, though, because you have to do it on the fly at the hospital when you have time, at night when you're home tired and have to be at the hospital at 5am again, and you have to learn basically all of it from review books. You receive no or at least very few lectures relevant to shelves.

Also, in case you have never worked a real job, being on your feet all day definitely tires you out and the last thing you want to do is study. Also, depending on the rotation, you have to work on one weekend day.

3rd year sucks, but it's still a lot more like being a doctor than the 1st 2 years. During my first rotation, I was excited about 3rd year. Now I'm only at the end of my 2nd rotation, and I desperately want 3rd year to end. I still would not go back to the earlier years, though, since being in 3rd year means I'm closer to being done.

Also, as many have said, at least half of your grade is based on clinical evals, which are usually randomly assigned. Grading is bs, which is why you have to study a lot for shelf exams to hopefully balance out the bs evals.

Conclusion: 2nd year, no matter what circumstance, is way easier than 3rd year.

Being a PA is not a bad thing. I never said it was.

All I did was describe you based off your post. As an M3, you want to pretend to be a doctor by doing all the grunt work but you struggle/dislike mastering the breadth of medicine, which is acquired through dedicated self-study and application of those long hours on the wards.

You want to be a doctor without doing what is necessary to be one. That's how I view CRNAs/PAs/NPs/whatever who think they can do a physician's job without the studying. As an M3, "cleaning toilets" or such menial work does not make you a better doctor. Reading and mastering voluminous amounts of medical information and utilizing that in the care of patients does.

I misread your post and my post was out of line in that case.

I guarantee you will not honor a single rotation. One might call you a fool, others will see you as an idiot but you of course see yourself as right.

Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I don't really care.

Others can see me as a genius or an idiot, it's all the same to me. If someone thinks I'm the smartest med student or the worst, why should I care. They can give me whatever grade they want. Doesn't mean I won't work as hard as anyone else, doesn't mean I'll have a bad attitude, just means what they say and do has no importance to me beyond doing my best on the rotation.

I think we're being trolled. Moving on...

Yeah, that's the typical conclusion when someone's opinion is not the same as yours. I agree to moving on. Not like anyone had any great value to add to this discussion besides overactivebrain, whose posts are usually excellent IMO.

The overwhelming majority of your learning comes from people 1-2 years above you.

The overwhelming majority of your learning comes from people 1-2 years above you.

You're adding to what I've said. I'm happy to learn from people 1 year ahead, below or wherever. I'm also going to do my best and be nice to those people. But I'm not going to care if they have a high opinion or low opinion of me. If they are smart and I deem I can learn from them, then sure I will. If they are arrogant and pretentious then I'll just take my P and move on.

You're adding to what I've said. I'm happy to learn from people 1 year ahead, below or wherever. I'm also going to do my best and be nice to those people. But I'm not going to care if they have a high opinion or low opinion of me. If they are smart and I deem I can learn from them, then sure I will. If they are arrogant and pretentious then I'll just take my P and move on.

You are the "hard worker" type of medical student. In general, these people don't do well on shelf exams and never honor rotations. They attempt to do all the menial things they can in order to seem important. Their team members loathe them because their supposed "enthusiasm" prevents them from going home at a reasonable time and inspires competition over collaboration. Additionally, excessive time in the hospital invariably leads to insufficient study time and grossly inadequate shelf performance.

The honors usually go to people who are pleasant to be around, know when it's their turn to be useful to the team, and how to get home as soon as possible for much needed sleep and study time. "Hard worker" medical students cannot possibly do these things.

Rest assured, you will not honor anything. Haha, it's sad but oh so true. On second thought, I guess this is the one part of third year I really liked. People like this never, ever do well.

You are the "hard worker" type of medical student. In general, these people don't do well on shelf exams and never honor rotations. They attempt to do all the menial things they can in order to seem important. Their team members loathe them because their supposed "enthusiasm" prevents them from going home at a reasonable time and inspires competition over collaboration. Additionally, excessive time in the hospital invariably leads to insufficient study time and grossly inadequate shelf performance.

The honors usually go to people who are pleasant to be around, know when it's their turn to be useful to the team, and how to get home as soon as possible for much needed sleep and study time. "Hard worker" medical students cannot possibly do these things.

Rest assured, you will not honor anything. Haha, it's sad but oh so true. On second thought, I guess this is the one part of third year I really liked. People like this never, ever do well.

Hahaha, great post. I don't know if you're 100% serious or not, but whats your opinion on how to game 3rd year (ie getting honors while doing the least work or playing the right cards).?

Let's address some of your points... I dont attempt to do anything to seem important because I could give a **** if people think I'm important or not.

I will work hard because I think it's important to ME. Not to an attending or whoever. Not to get a grade from someone. Not because someone is watching me. I'd work the same if I were building something without a soul withIn 100 miles of me.

You are obssessed with honors. I'm not.

Again, you're taking my philosophy that I don't value your opinion to mean that I'm unpleasant to be around. This can't be determined from posts on a thread. And even if you're convinced that it does, that doesn't matter. In the end I'll probably honor some rotations and not others. And it won't make a difference to me.

It is really funny that you guys can predict someones performance on rotations 12 months from now based upon a handful of posts on an Internet forum. Your intuition would be more useful In a lucrative field rather than medicine or SDN forums. All honors or no honors, Who cares.

Let's address some of your points... I dont attempt to do anything to seem important because I could give a **** if people think I'm important or not.

I will work hard because I think it's important to ME. Not to an attending or whoever.

You are obssessed with honors. I'm not.

Again, you're taking my philosophy that I don't value your opinion to mean that I'm unpleasant to be around. This can't be determined from posts on a thread. And even if you're convinced that it does, that doesn't matter. In the end I'll probably honor some rotations and not others. And it won't make a difference to me.

It is really funny that you guys can predict someones performance on rotations 12 months from now based upon a handful of posts on an Internet forum. Your intuition would be more useful In a lucrative field rather than medicine or SDN forums.

Honestly, you'd be amazed at how simple and stereotyped things become on the wards. Classmates talk a lot about one another too. You can infer an enormous amount of information from random, anonymous internet forum posts. You really can.

You won't honor anything if you go to a conventional medical school where there is grade deflation (i.e. not HMS or UCLA). You will see. That's all I'll tell you.

[Note: Re-edited for anonymity]

Last edited: