CAP is trying to resolve "pathologist workforce shortages"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoachUSMLE

Pathological pathologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you get the email from CAP?

1699453688890.png

Members don't see this ad.

And all these academics have time for this round table b.s. because they probably sign out 3500 cases a year and have to have SOMETHING to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
And all these academics have time for this round table b.s. because they probably sign out 3500 cases a year and have to have SOMETHING to do.
Bold of you to assume they do any clinical work at all.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no shortage. The job market is just less crappy. All the work is getting done. A new pathologist doesn't bring any work with them. They want your PC (50%+) and they will get it. You aren't remotely needed. Groups are consolidating. You just don't see 50-100+ applicants for a job. Academics/corporates/"leaders" will take us back to it. The field is a commodity, you will compete against every pathologist in the country for work. Lowest price wins (how much PC will you give away?). That is the future of pathology. Stay away med students.

There is no shortage. The job market is just less crappy. All the work is getting done. A new pathologist doesn't bring any work with them. They want your PC (50%+) and they will get it. You aren't remotely needed. Groups are consolidating. You just don't see 50-100+ applicants for a job. Academics/corporates/"leaders" will take us back to it. The field is a commodity, you will compete against every pathologist in the country for work. Lowest price wins (how much PC will you give away?). That is the future of pathology. Stay away med students.
Agree I know people having a hard time securing jobs in large cities or getting a job but getting paid low. Either that or be ready to move.

Rural jobs still looking. You might be able to hang out with Mike or Webb and hunt feral hogs. Buy some property, start businesses and create an empire.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Agree I know people having a hard time securing jobs in large cities or getting a job but getting paid low. Either that or be ready to move.

Rural jobs still looking. You might be able to hang out with Mike or Webb and hunt feral hogs. Buy some property, start businesses and create an empire.

That sounds like a good idea. Now do it. You are one percenters. Create your own brand. Also, kill them sumbitch hogs. Watching them eat them poor fawn is horror show.

Wait till everything is bundled. How much pie do you think the pathologist is going to get?

1699978223670.png

That sounds like a good idea. Now do it. You are one percenters. Create your own brand. Also, kill them sumbitch hogs. Watching them eat them poor fawn is horror show.
Forget this city life. In every other field it might be nice with high salaries. In this field you got to fight for a job or stalk pathologists online for a damn job. Even worse get lowballed by some old a$$ greedy pathologists.

I’m going rural and never looking back. This field blows brahhhh.

I’ll buy a mansion for 400K and try to get some hospital contracts for pathology. Bout to go rogue.

Last edited:
There is definitely a noticeable shift the difficulty of recruiting new pathologists from even from 2 years ago. The paradigm has shifted from the group putting the applicant on the boiler plate with an offer to the applicant taking up to 3 weeks to interview at all the practices on their list and then make up their mind. This was completely unheard of 10 years ago where you just took the first offer you got because there was absolutely no guarantee you would get another offer. That and these new graduates want super-duper high salaries with guaranteed partnership after 2-3 years.

The pathology employers are going to react as expected. Hiring will be put off unless absolutely necessary with additional work absorbed by the existing pathologists. New electronic LIS efficiencies and AI algorithms to screen slides are either coming online now or will be available shortly at a price less than a new hire, also allowing existing groups to absorb extra work. In addition, the ever-decreasing cost of digital pathology will also reshape the landscape as groups who control the glass can just export the images with almost any modern cloud-based LIS. It happened in radiology and it certainly looking that's the path we're going with CMS still allowing remote viewing and sign out. These new grads who are asking for the moon may have to settle for 1099 work in their home office at a significant discount.

I’m seeing more digital path jobs….the wave of the future.

If you thought we were a commodity now, wait until digital path becomes mainstream and we will fight for work. It’s going to get ugly.

There is definitely a noticeable shift the difficulty of recruiting new pathologists from even from 2 years ago. The paradigm has shifted from the group putting the applicant on the boiler plate with an offer to the applicant taking up to 3 weeks to interview at all the practices on their list and then make up their mind. This was completely unheard of 10 years ago where you just took the first offer you got because there was absolutely no guarantee you would get another offer. That and these new graduates want super-duper high salaries with guaranteed partnership after 2-3 years.

The pathology employers are going to react as expected. Hiring will be put off unless absolutely necessary with additional work absorbed by the existing pathologists. New electronic LIS efficiencies and AI algorithms to screen slides are either coming online now or will be available shortly at a price less than a new hire, also allowing existing groups to absorb extra work. In addition, the ever-decreasing cost of digital pathology will also reshape the landscape as groups who control the glass can just export the images with almost any modern cloud-based LIS. It happened in radiology and it certainly looking that's the path we're going with CMS still allowing remote viewing and sign out. These new grads who are asking for the moon may have to settle for 1099 work in their home office at a significant discount.
I met an owner of a path lab. His plan is to hire a few pathologists to be on site and contract the rest of the work digitally. I sure hope it doesn’t get ugly and biopsies will be read by the lowest bidder.

I met an owner of a path lab. His plan is to hire a few pathologists to be on site and contract the rest of the work digitally. I sure hope it doesn’t get ugly and biopsies will be read by the lowest bidder.
That’s pretty much been the direction for the past 25 or so years.

Can someone paste an ad for a digital path job? I didn't think that jobs like that were live yet.

Can someone paste an ad for a digital path job? I didn't think that jobs like that were live yet.
It would be interesting to see how many CVs these jobs get after the job ad is posted.

There will be interest. I would have LOVED to be able to do a little bread-and-butter digital surg path for a few years after I retired. I would have been happy with 80-100K to do 20 cases a day at home at my leisure. It really comes as a bit of a shock to you when you retire after looking thru a scope for >30 years and ……it all stops; AND, it was your hobby!
Fortunately, I found others(to the detriment of the FL feral hog population). But, if your job is your hobby/life like mine was you need to prepare. At least my carcinoma and 4 yr later U.C. total abdominal colectomy were kind enough to wait for me to retire 🤣

There will be interest. I would have LOVED to be able to do a little bread-and-butter digital surg path for a few years after I retired. I would have been happy with 80-100K to do 20 cases a day at home at my leisure. It really comes as a bit of a shock to you when you retire after looking thru a scope for >30 years and ……it all stops; AND, it was your hobby!
Fortunately, I found others(to the detriment of the FL feral hog population). But, if your job is your hobby/life like mine was you need to prepare. At least my carcinoma and 4 yr later U.C. total abdominal colectomy were kind enough to wait for me to retire 🤣
Seriously, there are a bunch of vultures who will take these jobs.

I know 75 year old retired pathologists still doing contractor work to make money (not sure if these people got money problems, are broke or what).

I also know pathologists who are making ALOT of money who are still doing side jobs to make more and will go to great lengths to make even more money.

Greed is an understatement.

Seriously, there are a bunch of vultures who will take these jobs.

I know 75 year old retired pathologists still doing contractor work to make money (not sure if these people got money problems, are broke or what).

I also know pathologists who are making ALOT of money who are still doing side jobs to make more and will go to great lengths to make even more money.

Greed is an understatement.
Some are doing it purely in the pursuit of money without any real “need”
Some are classic “Dr. Debtors “ with divorce(s), boats, mortgages,etc.
Some don’t know what else to do. They’ve never done anything else.