Car Insurance in Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insomniac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how insurance works in Boston if you bring a car over from Canada? I know many people that bring over their car from California and are still able to keep their license plate and insurance coverage I'm assuming, unless there's still a MA insurance that we need to pay? I would like to bring my car down and if anyone brought theirs from Canada and was able to keep the insurance from Canada please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your insurance in Canada. Insurance is insurance so FL insurance is good in MA and MA insurance is good in NC or Canada or wherever. MA insurance is at least 50-75% more expensive than other states. Now, this only works technically if you're a student and not a full-time resident but who's checking?

TylerDMD said:
Keep your insurance in Canada. Insurance is insurance so FL insurance is good in MA and MA insurance is good in NC or Canada or wherever. MA insurance is at least 50-75% more expensive than other states. Now, this only works technically if you're a student and not a full-time resident but who's checking?

I also think that it depends on where you want to live. For instance, in you live in any areas of Boston that require a resident sticker, you will have to get Mass. Insurance, so you can get Mass. plates, so you can get your resident sticker to park in that area. Or, you an drop $200-300 a month on a private parking space or so that you can park in an indoor garage. You could also park your car at a major shopping mall's parking lot. That's what I did for 8 months before finally getting towed - so I wouldn't do that afterall.

Insomniac said:
Does anyone know how insurance works in Boston if you bring a car over from Canada? I know many people that bring over their car from California and are still able to keep their license plate and insurance coverage I'm assuming, unless there's still a MA insurance that we need to pay? I would like to bring my car down and if anyone brought theirs from Canada and was able to keep the insurance from Canada please let me know. Thanks in advance!

I think technically you're supposed to get MA license plates and insurance if your car is here longer than 3 months. I'm not sure about your insurance plan but I think your insurance plan also needs to know that your car will be in Boston (and you may pay extra for that) for you to have coverage, should you get into an accident or incur damage. But that doesn't stop a lot of people from bringing their cars from out of state and keeping it here for an extended period of time. Insurance in the northeast is some of the most expensive in the country.

Check it out...
http://www.insurance.com/Article.aspx/artid/147