Cardiac arrest in pacemaker patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedmedstudent22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I apologize if this is a dumb question in advance.

Was at a code blue today. Normally students don't get to help out but since it was the holidays, I was glad to get involved since fewer people around.

Patient unresponsive and was known to have a implanted pacemaker. After 2 compressions, the family told us to stop because they didn't want any intervention other than an oxygen mask only. When I looked at the rhythm, they appeared to have a what I would have called PEA (narrow complex, but don't remember other than that). However, when I felt their femoral artery (and another nurse noted), they appeared to have faint, thready pulses. Does this count as a pulse? The attending pronounced the patient shortly after. Also, how does an arrest occur with a pacemaker in place? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a pulse, it counts... but if family (most importantly next of kin/POA) says stop, you stop.

As for codes with pacers - you hit it on the head: PEA arrest.

-d

This reminds me of the first time I was called to pronounce a patient as an intern. The patient was DNR, on a vent and had a pacemaker, so breathing and a (paced) rhythm were both present and the art line registered a very low BP with every heart beat. My senior thought I was an idiot when I called him to ask if it was ok to pronounce the patient. LOL.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a pulse, it counts... but if family (most importantly next of kin/POA) says stop, you stop.

As for codes with pacers - you hit it on the head: PEA arrest.

-d

Just to clarify so I know for the future... if the patient still had a pulse, how can it be called PEA? And how can they be pronounced dead? Or is it the fact that without CPR, they will be dead imminently?

A pacemaker can produce electrical activity, but if the patient's heart isn't strong enough to actually pump out enough blood, you won't feel a pulse and their brain won't be perfused.

A pacemaker can produce electrical activity, but if the patient's heart isn't strong enough to actually pump out enough blood, you won't feel a pulse and their brain won't be perfused.

But if they still have a pulse (albeit thready, weak) how can you already pronounce them before that stops?

They either called them early or you were only feeling the pulse from your fingertips, both of which can happen. You won't get a pulse from a ppm but you will get electrical activity. Turn the monitor off. Btw physicians will sometimes call too early. The heart can do crazy things sometimes. I once had a pt achieve rosc even with cardiac standstill on u/s 1 minute after calling it. He was a typical gomer, woke up 2 days later and left Ana after cursing out the staff.