Cardiology Board Review Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information regarding the MAYO vs ACCF board review courses?? Which one is better for preparing for the boards? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any information regarding the MAYO vs ACCF board review courses?? Which one is better for preparing for the boards? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its not even a debatable question. Mayo is 10X the course that ACCF is. You will gain a lot from the mayo course for both practice and board review preparation. The issue for cardiology boards really comes down to the EKG section. If you are concerned with this section, you should concentrate on the book entitled " The complete guide to EKG's" by Joseph O'Keefe. If you are really anal retentive, you could photocopy the tracings with the scoring answers on the reverse and laminate each tracing. If you know that book, you will really do well on the EKG section. As far as other imaging questions, Mayo Review will show you all the key images and pathologies that are likely to show up on a board exam. Mayo also will go over scoring and interpreting the echo and cath imaging portions of the test. I do not think ACCF even covered that in there review. Again, I would be hard pressed to name even one person I know who would favor ACCF over Mayo (small sample size admittedly). Good luck. PM me if you have more questions.

Both are a waste of money. I'm shocked as to how many fellows are so scared that they will work over 1000 bucks and travel money to attend the conference.

The test is not that hard.

Mayo does offer some scholarships to go to their board review course. The deadline for applying has not passed, so if you are a current fellow you could try and apply and ask your PD to nominate you. I also heard the Mayo course is the best one, and I also heard the ECG book mentioned above is the key one to study, and that the ECG portion of the test is key to passing versus failing. There was a presentation by a faculty member @the ACC meeting recently where he stated they are now going to grade the cath plus ECG portions together as one, I think (or was it echo plus ECG?). This could make the test either harder or easier to pass...

tibor,
standardized tests may not be hard for YOU, but there are always certain people for whom they are not so easy, and if someone is that type and he/she knows it, then taking a board prep course might not be a bad investment. Personally, I would just buy review books, but I usually do OK on those types of tests...