Cardiology Job Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the third year fellows and interventional fellows apply for jobs and are in the interview process, can those of you who have interviewed for different groups or practices able to share your experiences? I am curious how the interview process has worked for others, have their been multiple site visits, what did you typically ask of the groups, when did you talk about salary? What kind of things are practices offering depending on geography; benefits, malpractice, income guarantee, time to partnership, etc?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As the third year fellows and interventional fellows apply for jobs and are in the interview process, can those of you who have interviewed for different groups or practices able to share your experiences? I am curious how the interview process has worked for others, have their been multiple site visits, what did you typically ask of the groups, when did you talk about salary? What kind of things are practices offering depending on geography; benefits, malpractice, income guarantee, time to partnership, etc?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Having interviewed in the last year my best advice is to be your own advocate. Avoid recruiters!!!! Know that they will get anywhere from 35-100K to place you. That comes out of your package. Your best bet is to contact the prospective practices directly.

Either way you will typically have a phone/screening interview. If you pass that step they will offer you a formal interview. This should be on their dime. If they ask you to pay for a plane ticket, hotel room, etc without reimbursing you...RUN! That means that funds are tight. To give you a perspective it costs about 30K to recruit and relocate a new addition. If you find the practice is a nice fit during your interview process let them know. Ask to spend a few extra days in the area or visit other parts of the practice (i.e. clinic, cath lab, annex facility, etc.) This lets the practice know you are genuine and interested. DONT TALK SALARY! The dollars will come. Once you know it is the right fit they may offer you a second look to bring your significant other. Again this is added cost for the practice and if they are financially sound they can do that. Usually thereafter they will offer you a contract. This is the time to negotiate. You can check various sources to find out a "fair" number. Bigger metro areas ~275K+, medium metro 350k+, rural 450k+. Hope this helps. Best of luck.