Cardiology Journal study of MI risk and Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see these studies but does anyone have clear cut updates on this info? There has been alot of speculation for years on this but nothing definitive. Regarding depression, there is a link but does anxiety and personality traits (such as hostility/anger) increase this risk for certain also?

Any other info/links would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a recent study on anxiety and MI but I don't have the link...if I find it I'll post it.

There are multiple studies linking depression and risk of recurrent cardiovascular events after an initial MI. However, with all these types of studies confounding can always be an issue/can be argued. Some studies show treating depression decreased cardiovascular events. However, if SSRI's are being used, one could argue that these are affecting the platelet activity, since they do affect platelet degranulation (serotonin is present in platelet dense granules) and since platelets are involved in thrombus formation it's possible that SSRI's themselves, rather than decreased the depressed mood, decreased recurrent cardiovascular events.