Cards vs. GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ys

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which fellowship is more competitive to get into, not historically but currently and perhaps a few years down the line.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, GI is more competitive than cardiology according to my friends at differernt IM programs and their program directors. But it is still very much 'do-able' for everyone. The bottom line is you should go for it if you are interested in.

I am not sure how one would answer this beyond anecdotal evidence. I don't think there is data regarding the total number of people who applied. Yes, there is data regarding how many people matched (for cardiology, GI is not a match), but without knowledge of how many attempted, this is not helpful.

Why does it matter? Both are extremely competitive. In truth, all medicine fellowships are becoming more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
The short answer is historically cardiology has been more competitive, but in the last 10 years GI has become neck and neck.. Id say GI currently is a little harder based on the residents and felllows ive worked with an their results... Cards most peeple will match somewhere i feel.

ys said:
Which fellowship is more competitive to get into, not historically but currently and perhaps a few years down the line.

GI without a doubt. The lifestyle in GI is much better especially during fellowship. And the pay is now getting better than Cards too.