Career in endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmcaule

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How diagnostic is endocrinology? Is it as simple as PCP sends you a diabetes patient and you simply plan his or her long-term treatment or is there complex diagnoses to be made?

Ultimately the diagnostic element is what is steering me towards medicine and I like the fact that endo is pretty lax, has few procedures, and is more patient-involved (personal trainer and dietitian have always been up there on my potential careers list). Is there opportunity to further specialize in metabolic disorders, or is it just DM, DM, DM?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

There are plenty of dx opportunities in Endo. Often, patients will be referred from PMDs due to suggestive symptoms and/or abnormal labs - but it is the endocrinologist that puts the pieces together. Most endo-related dynamic tests (from more simple cosyntropin tests to OGTTs for acromegaly etc etc)are beyond the expertise/time constraints of PMDs - and these can be key to the diagnosis. While diabetes is a major part of endo, there are plenty of opportunities for further specialization in other metabolic areas -- lipid disorders, obesity, the endocannabinoid system, etc. Remember, there are even some endocrinologists (not many, grant you) who actually won't treat diabetes. Fortunately, I love treating diabetes - so not an issue :)

Take care.

That is what I was hoping for.

Thanks for the response.