Career in medicine and disability insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vystrel07

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently an undergraduate student highly interested in pursuing a career in either medicine or dentistry. However, I have been researching which one I want to pursue and I came across disability insurance which is something that never crossed my mind until recently. I have a history of health anxiety although I have never taken medication for it (I believe medication was prescribed to me, however, I never took it) and I recently had surgery for a nonchronic illness. These got me wondering whether it's worth pursuing a career in either one of these fields if it's unlikely I get disability insurance in the future. I was hoping I could get some advice on who I can consult with to discuss my situation.

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to be a doctor?
It's one of the few careers that I am genuinely interested in. I am currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in a non-stem major, but I'd like to work as a doctor because it would allow me to work with my hands (given that I can specialize in a surgical specialty) and it's career that would actually make me feel like I have some sort of impact

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to speak with an insurance broker. The insurance market changes all of the time. Sometimes it gets tight if the company has been paying many claims recently, sometimes they get liberal with who they will write. You might be surprised. Best to get it while you are young. You might only need to wait a few years to qualify from a prior condition. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user