Career Options Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottygonzo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to present to you all my options and seek a little feedback on different scenarios. I will be graduating in May and have accepted an offer to float for a major chain retailer. I also have interned at a local hospital for two years and might have a chance to start in a PRN position, rolling into full-time. Here are the details of each:

Retail
Past experience: rotations alone
118k salaried, guaranteed 40 hours, good benefits, 3 weeks PTO to start
Floating area: Up to 50 miles, but most stores are within 15-20 minutes with the opportunity to staff one of the closer stores within 6 months

Hospital
Past experience: 2 years as intern
50-52 per hour (104-108k extrapolated, not sure on the exact figure), starting PRN and rolling into full-time position, good benefits, service time equates to 28 days PTO based on full-time status.
Commuting: 50 minutes away from where I'll be living, and the roads can get sketchy/close in the winters.

I'd rather start working full-time right off the bat, and I'm not a big fan of the commute to the hospital but while floating, I'll be commuting anyways. There is a possibility that I'll get into a store closer to home, but at my current hospital I'll probably have to work there awhile to get experience to be able to get a job at a closer hospital, especially without a residency under my belt. I'm nervous to work in retail because I don't have much experience, but the store locations, convenience and pay are positives. I'm also pretty sure I can be happy anywhere as I'm generally a positive person. There are some people I like and dislike at the hospital and I get restless looking at a screen the whole day but I don't want to be overworked like a slave in retail. I also want to keep my options open in the future, and pigeon-holding myself into retail right away might not be the smartest idea.

Would it be possible to start full-time at the retail chain and work PRN at the hospital? The supervisors really like me at the hospital and I'm sure they would be flexible, but I might be overloaded for a while until I get offered a full-time position at the hospital and then choose between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be possible to start full-time at the retail chain and work PRN at the hospital? The supervisors really like me at the hospital and I'm sure they would be flexible, but I might be overloaded for a while until I get offered a full-time position at the hospital and then choose between the two.

You already answered your own question. Keep your career options open until you have enough data to make an informed decision.

I took the job that was, in theory, the hardest one to get.

You say you may be overloaded but technically youre starting 2 PRN positions so it wouldnt be that many hours. As a hospital tech turned hospital pharmacist, there will be much MUCH to learn so I wouldnt say your lack of experience retail is a con for retail. Youre going to drown for a few months regardless of which one you pick.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take the full time retail job and work prn at the hospital until I could move into something full time there. As a PRN you will not be guaranteed full time hours. You will also not get benfits or PTO until you have some sort of regular FTE status.

Reactions: 1 user
how did u get 3 weeks PTO without working for them as an intern or tech? lol