Career options: med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clabbur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a psych major at a community college that has guaranteed transfer agreements with cornell.

I called the school to find out transfer requirements or pre-reqs that I needed to take but the lady on the receiving end was so vague: "just take your general requirements, your math, science, humanities.."

GREAT. THANKS.

Last semester I was set on going to med school..but now I'm not too sure. I don't want to be a psychiatrist! ...i don't think...
Last semester I had taken general bio I, general chem I, and calc I; all of which complete my sci/math requirements for an associates in social science.

So now I'm trying to figure out if I should continue taking the pre-med requirement courses...IF im unsure of pursuing med school.

For my spring 09 schedule im already at 16 credits without science courses...Should I bother taking general bio II or general chem II if I'm uncertain about med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Well... that's kind of something you need to take up with yourself! Do you want to be an MD? Also, you should be aware that taking pre-med pre-reqs at a community college is generally discouraged as they are likely to be frowned upon my med schools. If you take more advanced courses at a 4-yr in each subject area required, you'll probably be okay, but it's generally ill-advised as CCs have a reputation for inconisistency in level of difficulty and thoroughness.

Don't forget to consider your aptitude for biology and organic chemistry as well - i, for example, did not do well in biology and realized that it would be too long of a road to conquer and after I weighed the financial issues and the lack of my ability being able to finance med school, I figured, psychology was probably a better option.
But hey, if it rocks your boat, and if you have the support, there is no harm....the health professions like medicine and psychiatry will always be in demand!