Caribbean premed programs without prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mars41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated with a liberal arts degree. Lacking science pre-reqs for med school. Seriously considering Caribbean MD...

Don't want to take two years of prereqs and then basically learn the same thing over again in a premed program. Is it possible to get into premed without the required courses and then go seamlessly into the school's MD program???

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated with a liberal arts degree. Lacking science pre-reqs for med school. Seriously considering Caribbean MD...

Don't want to take two years of prereqs and then basically learn the same thing over again in a premed program. Is it possible to get into premed without the required courses and then go seamlessly into the school's MD program???

Seriously reconsider.

What do you mean do 2 years of pre-reqs and then learn the same thing in a premed program? Those 2 years of prereqs are your premed program. Have you taken the MCAT? Any school worth going to will require an MCAT score.

Do you have a good undergrad GPA? Study your butt off and take the MCAT and do a 1 year post-bacc in the US and then go to a US med school. Post-bacc programs love students with non-science backgrounds.

Out of personal curiosity - what made you decide on medicine after finishing your degree? Are you a non-traditional student?

Reactions: 1 user
I am definitely a non-trad... I know the Caribbean isn't optimal but I'm afraid it may be my only option...

Here is a previous post I made explaining my story. I apologize in advance for the length.

I graduated from college with a degree in liberal arts. My undergraduate career was somewhat of a disaster. I was always a bright student but I was known around campus for putting in very little effort. I never bought a single textbook during my college career. I would make A's on exams and decide not to turn in assignments if I thought it was "busy work". This usually resulted in B's and C's. I would make an A in a 4000 level law course and a D in intro to music. I have 5 D's during my undergraduate studies and they were all in 1000 level courses. It was completely dependent on my level of interest in the subject.

My first semester I took 18 credits with 5 B's and one C. And then the medical issues began... I felt a little off. Nothing major, just a little off. I was always tired, lethargic. I missed days and my grades took a huge hit. I got a 2.0 GPA the following two semesters and had to withdraw my third semester after getting Bell's palsy. I left school that semester and was given a 0 GPA.

I took a while off of school. I was sick every couple of months but never diagnosed with anything. Random things. would always come up. Swollen lymph nodes etc. I knew I had to get back in school though. I just kind of coasted through and got a 2.9. I returned back to my home university focused on finishing but with no real goals in mind just taking my b's and c's for a 2.8. My cumulative GPA was separate from the other school and I graduated with a 2.4 overall GPA with the 0 GPA calculated.

I attempted to join the Coast Guard and was selected as the only candidate from my state to be chosen to go to MEPS that month. I was looking forward to serving my country but was shut down 5 minutes before swearing in for high frequency hearing loss in my left ear... Another random medical issue.

I started working for a dredging company and got THE CALL after a physical for work. My lab results came back and my #'s were off. My hemoglobin was a 6. I was sent for test after test. A colonoscopy revealed an 8 cm mass. I was told that I had cancer and my time was limited.

Later testing showed the mass but 0 cancer. I had become somewhat of a medical mystery. An amazing team of doctors zeroed in on the problem and I recently had surgery. I am back to 100% and feel better than I have in years.

I knew something was off with me but never knew how bad off I really was. I now have a completely new outlook on life. I want to make the best of everything. I feel like I wasted my undergraduate years. I was an intelligent kid and I blew it. It haunts me but I can't focus on what I did in the past.

I have been given a new lease on life. So here I am, 25 years old with a 2.4 GPA and I am going back to school to become a doctor. I know I can do the work and I have the energy and focus now. I will be going back to take my prerequisites for medical school within the next few months. I will do decent on my MCAT. I know I am going to have a hard time explaining my prior GPA. I realize I may not be able to go to school in the states and I will have to do things the nontraditional way. I will not let this deter me from becoming a doctor though. I want to help people and dive head first into the medical world.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Mars41 ... Caribbean is definitely your best option... Look into Medical University of the America (MUA)... Not a bad school IMO.

Regardless of your personal trials and tribulations you'll need to complete all science pre-reqs to get into any sort of med school period. No med school whether in the States or Carib is even going to consider you without having completed them, sorry.

Regardless of your personal trials and tribulations you'll need to complete all science pre-reqs to get into any sort of med school period. No med school whether in the States or Carib is even going to consider you without having completed them, sorry.

I understand the need for prerequisites and their importance. I plan on doing DIY post bac and then applying US DO or Caribbean MD.

I was just browsing online and saw a lot of the Caribbean schools had premed programs. Some even let high school grads in. The websites claimed that one was guaranteed admission to the MD program upon completion of the school's premed coursework.

My question is really specific to these particular schools (SGU, MUA, ST. James, Winsor).

Just trying to figure out if I successfully completed their program if I would be able to seamlessly go into their MD program or would I have to go back and take the "normal" prereqs after their premed anyways?

For example, some of the programs offered anatomy instead of orgo.

I've had a difficult time finding anyone to answer that question. I will most likely just do postbac in the states but it is nice to weigh my limited options.

Thanks again for any input and hopefully someone can fully explain these Caribbean premed programs to me.

^^ Example:

MUA's premed

First Semester

MED 011 Principles of General Chemistry

MED 012 Medical Terminology

MED 013 Human Anatomy & Physiology I

Second Semester

MED 021 Advanced Organic Chemistry

MED 022 Introduction to Cell Biology

MED 023 Human Anatomy & Physiology II

Completion of the Pre-medical program provides a smooth transition into the Doctor of Medicine Basic Science program.

What about physics etc? Is this not required for entrance to their MD school if I complete the above program?

^^ Example:

MUA's premed

First Semester

MED 011 Principles of General Chemistry

MED 012 Medical Terminology

MED 013 Human Anatomy & Physiology I

Second Semester

MED 021 Advanced Organic Chemistry

MED 022 Introduction to Cell Biology

MED 023 Human Anatomy & Physiology II

Completion of the Pre-medical program provides a smooth transition into the Doctor of Medicine Basic Science program.

What about physics etc? Is this not required for entrance to their MD school if I complete the above program?

Okay, the good news is that you're only 25 and you have plenty of time to get yourself together to become a good applicant. The bad news is that you're going to have to explain away that undergrad performance. I think given your medical history you shouldn't have much trouble doing that. Going the USDO route would be best for you in terms of future residency placement. The Caribbean is a risky proposition right now because nobody really knows how the so-called "residency crunch" is going to affect us. If you can go USDO, your life will be easier in the long run. The science pre-reqs for medical school are pretty standardized. I would not suggest doing a Caribbean pre-med program, because they are usually expensive. Better I would think to enroll as a part-time student at a cheap university in the US, burn through your pre-reqs in a year, take the MCAT, and then see where you stand. DO schools are more willing to overlook a lower GPA, especially if you can prove with your pre-reqs that you've gotten your act together. Also, start making connections with doctors and ask to shadow them. If you are close to any of the docs that did your surgery, that would be a good place to start. You will need some letters of recommendation and shadowing experience is just plain smart to do before you commit to medicine. So to sum up:

1. Don't worry about Caribbean vs USDO for now.
2. Get a schedule together at a US school to get your pre-reqs done ASAP. A pre-med scheduling advisor should be able to help you do that.
3. Absolutely rock your classes.
4. Absolutely rock the MCAT.
5. Shadow physicians and maybe add some ECs to your application.

Good luck. If you do decide to go to the Caribbean, look at the Big 4 schools (SGU, Ross, SABA, AUC). They are accredited in all 50 states and accept US loans. They also have much higher placement rates than most Caribbean schools.

Wow!!! Thank you so much @bedevilled ben.

Your response was extremely informative and was probably the best advice I have been given on SDN.

I truly appreciate the time you took to answer that post.

I will be using it as a blueprint to begin my medical journey.

Your response to that post was extremely helpful @Skip Intro and is what made me lean towards doing my post bac in the US.

I have been curious about those prereq deficiencies (lack of physics etc.) that the Caribbean premed programs have but can't really get a straight answer on that particular question.