Carribean School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did we end up talking about DO here? Oh wait, its SDN. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
33816273.jpg

Seriously this place might as well be another Pre-Osteo forum.

In my opinion, its the person not the school. The Caribbean deals with students who couldn't get into US schools and there is usually a reason why. They are more likely to be less intelligent, less hardworking and less dedicated which is exactly the reason why they aren't in US schools in the first place. The attrition rate is normal because the Caribbean schools pick up the heaps of rocks and sorts out the gold in them. Most of the rocks were never meant to be doctors anyways. The gold are people who messed up in undergrad but have the potential, the smarts and the drive to succeed now. Blaming the caribbean for a high attrition rate says nothing about the schools themselves. It only speaks for the average quality of candidate that matriculates.

High attrition is their business model. Said another way, they are preying on people who want to be doctors but have no chance. They charge a ton of money, and then fail them out. And they lie about the odds, play games with numbers to make it look like odds are better than they are, essentially mislead vulnerable people to fleece them. So yeah, te schools should appropriately get a lot of the blame. Med schools in the US have a stake in their alumni, and so the goals are shared. Offshore schools have a bigger stake in fleecing the 60% who won't make it, so their goals are divergent. As long as they get 50 or so people placed each class, they don't really care about the other couple hundred.

That being said, if you have no chance of fixing things and getting into MD or DO, and can afford it, and think you are a late bloomer and can turn things around, I have no problem with that. But it should be understood that it's a lottery ticket you are buying, not a road to medicine.

In my opinion, its the person not the school. The Caribbean deals with students who couldn't get into US schools and there is usually a reason why. They are more likely to be less intelligent, less hardworking and less dedicated which is exactly the reason why they aren't in US schools in the first place. The attrition rate is normal because the Caribbean schools pick up the heaps of rocks and sorts out the gold in them. Most of the rocks were never meant to be doctors anyways. The gold are people who messed up in undergrad but have the potential, the smarts and the drive to succeed now. Blaming the caribbean for a high attrition rate says nothing about the schools themselves. It only speaks for the average quality of candidate that matriculates.

Disagreed, there's SMP and DO (grade replacement) for that. Even if you're a golden nugget, when 2015 rolls around you're pretty SOL. Once again, 10 years ago Caribbean was a solid option, but with DO schools it isn't the case. If you screw up there's no shortcuts. The industrious individual will get the prize.

High attrition is their business model. Said another way, they are preying on people who want to be doctors but have no chance. They charge a ton of money, and then fail them out. And they lie about the odds, play games with numbers to make it look like odds are better than they are, essentially mislead vulnerable people to fleece them. So yeah, te schools should appropriately get a lot of the blame. Med schools in the US have a stake in their alumni, and so the goals are shared. Offshore schools have a bigger stake in fleecing the 60% who won't make it, so their goals are divergent. As long as they get 50 or so people placed each class, they don't really care about the other couple hundred.

That being said, if you have no chance of fixing things and getting into MD or DO, and can afford it, and think you are a late bloomer and can turn things around, I have no problem with that. But it should be understood that it's a lottery ticket you are buying, not a road to medicine.

Yeah, I think the amount of support that US MD (and DO) schools provide is impressive. One of the schools I interviewed at talked at length about the support services, including full-time clinical psychologists and robust academic advising. I got the sense that this school would support you even if you got a 210 on the STEP. I don't think you can say the same about Carib schools.

Yeah, I think the amount of support that US MD (and DO) schools provide is impressive. One of the schools I interviewed at talked at length about the support services, including full-time clinical psychologists and robust academic advising. I got the sense that this school would support you even if you got a 210 on the STEP. I don't think you can say the same about Carib schools.

The caribbean schools would probably just tell you to go lay on the beach and watch the sun set.

Last edited:
Disagreed, there's SMP and DO (grade replacement) for that. Even if you're a golden nugget, when 2015 rolls around you're pretty SOL. Once again, 10 years ago Caribbean was a solid option, but with DO schools it isn't the case. If you screw up there's no shortcuts. The industrious individual will get the prize.

hi,, excuse me...what is happening after 2015??
...yes ive been living under a rock :shrug:

those new extra US MD, and DO 4th yr students start filling up the residency seats (scraps) usually given to IMGs. :p

... I got the sense that this school would support you even if you got a 210 on the STEP. I don't think you can say the same about Carib schools.

A 210 on Step 1 from a US MD school will get you a residency in something less competitive. Why wouldn't they support you?:confused: schools have no problem with their graduates going into FM, psych, peds, IM. Some of you guys may be derm or bust, but your med schools won't be.

A 210 on Step 1 from a US MD school will get you a residency in something less competitive. Why wouldn't they support you?:confused: schools have no problem with their graduates going into FM, psych, peds, IM. Some of you guys may be derm or bust, but your med schools won't be.

:thumbup:

hi,, excuse me...what is happening after 2015??
...yes ive been living under a rock :shrug:

All residencies (DO and MD) will be ACGME certified. Combine that with all the new medical schools opening and minimal growth of residency positions, IMG's will have a very hard time finding a spot.

Use a search function to search your question, instead of hijacking threads

whoa whoa whoa buddy---I hardly call asking a simple question in a thread hijacking---cool off your panties. the search function is a little tedious and im sure I wasn't putting too much of a cramp of someones day by asking..thanks hockeyfan-- I thought that's what it was but have not been on SDN in a while. :D