cars for snowy weather? (Rochester)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinkerbelle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for those of you who attend schools with a lot of snow (or who just live in snowy areas), what types of cars are best for this weather? I'm particularly interested in what people drive at URochester.

Thanks for any info y'all can give me :)

Members don't see this ad.

I grew up in upsate NY. I drove a Mitushbishi Galant, but I would not recommend that car for the snow. It was okay, but not great.

Basically, just wanted to say, keep a shovel in the trunk and if it gets particularly slippery outside pile a lot of heavy cargo in the trunk, like sand bags, bags of salt, concrete blocks, something, and that will prevent you from sliding.

PineappleGirl said:
Basically, just wanted to say, keep a shovel in the trunk and if it gets particularly slippery outside pile a lot of heavy cargo in the trunk, like sand bags, bags of salt, concrete blocks, something, and that will prevent you from sliding.

Thanks for the tip!

Are roads in NY usually bad and slippery? Or does the state do a good job of clearing off the roads after a snowstorm? In Maryland, life stops whenever we have bad weather :p

Members don't see this ad :)
MadameLULU said:
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Although I think anything with ABS will work. I probably will get a Honda Accord.

I went to Uroch for undergrad, I would recommend a 4wd or AWD car because the weather and roads do get pretty bad. I drove an audi while i was there (AWD).

tinkerbelle said:
Thanks for the tip!

Are roads in NY usually bad and slippery? Or does the state do a good job of clearing off the roads after a snowstorm? In Maryland, life stops whenever we have bad weather :p

They generally do a decent job during normal working hours, like during the day and up until the end of the rush hour. My biggest problems were on weekends when I was coming home from a friends house or a party at like midnight, 1am, 2am. They are not really plowing at these times, and if they are, it is very infrequent, especially on the back roads. It usually best to stay on main/ state roads and on major interstates like I-90 when the snow is really bad.

Also, keep a blanket or comforter in your car. My heat failed a couple times during an hour plus drive. I have never been so cold in my life. I took me hours to warm myself up again.

PineappleGirl said:
I grew up in upsate NY. I drove a Mitushbishi Galant, but I would not recommend that car for the snow. It was okay, but not great.

Any front wheel drive car that doesn't ride extremely low should be fine.

tinkerbelle said:
So for those of you who attend schools with a lot of snow (or who just live in snowy areas), what types of cars are best for this weather? I'm particularly interested in what people drive at URochester.

I drove a nissan sentra that kicked ass in the snow. :thumbup:

FutureOrthoDoc said:
I drove a nissan sentra that kicked ass in the snow. :thumbup:

That's a small car right? So it's practically like a toyota corolla?

So it seems like any type of car is ok... since y'all are saying 2wd, 4wd, awd are all ok.

If you want something that performs, a Subaru WRX. 227 hp, turbocharged, in-line four cylinder with awd.

tinkerbelle said:
That's a small car right? So it's practically like a toyota corolla?

So it seems like any type of car is ok... since y'all are saying 2wd, 4wd, awd are all ok.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, why you leaving the BWI area??? :mad: :scared:

About the car, get a Hummer. Not the crappy H2 but the real deal. :D

You definetly want an AWD car. Some suggestions are an Audi A4 or a subaru WRX. Otherwise you can get a normal front wheel drive car (The engines weight on the tires provides excellent traction) and get snow tires. Dont bother with rear wheel drive cars because there is no weight on the tires that rotate resulting in a loss of traction. Another option is a decently sized SUV. This choice is all yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 1993 Chrysler Concorde that I've had for 4 years now and it's been good. I live in Milwaukee and go to school in Northwest Indiana so it's seen it's far share of snow (it's a nice big heavy car). Just make sure you get good tires on whatever car you choose!

Attentive said:
Nooooooooooooooooooooo, why you leaving the BWI area??? :mad: :scared:

Yeah. This coming from someone who's moving somewhere much cooler than Baltimore :p

I think its called an Impreza. All Subarau models are AWD but I've heard the best things about the Impreza WRX. Don't know what price range you're looking at but its a pretty good car, fun to drive and pretty quick too.

shantster said:
Just make sure you get good tires on whatever car you choose!

I have to buy special tires? Won't most good cars come with good tires?

zero2hero said:
I think its called an Impreza. All Subarau models are AWD but I've heard the best things about the Impreza WRX. Don't know what price range you're looking at but its a pretty good car, fun to drive and pretty quick too.

Ok, thanks. I see it.

I wish it was cheaper though :p I suppose 25k isn't too bad. But was hoping for < 20k... which is why i was hoping the toyota corolla would be good in snow.

Buckeye(OH) said:
If you want something that performs, a Subaru WRX. 227 hp, turbocharged, in-line four cylinder with awd.

This is a med student were talking about. :sleep:

If price is an issue and you want to spend under 20K then you can look for a used WRX or Audi 1.8T. If you prefer to buy new then look into the Impreza 2.5 RS if performance isn't a big issue, it will serve its function as an AWD car perfectly. No need to buy special tires with an AWD car.

tinkerbelle said:
Thanks for the tip!

Rochester is more efficient at snow removal than most cities 5x its size because they get so much snow, they know exactly what to do with it.

To whomever said that anything with ABS is good - ideally, you should get 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, as that is what will really help. ABS is good, but not enough. You'll need snow tires if you don't have 4WD or AWD.

tinkerbelle said:

:idea: ......how about this?

not sure about how practical it would be though...

tinkerbelle said:
Thanks for the tip!

i grew up outside of rochester too...i think the thing you'll notice is that there is a big difference in the definition of "bad weather" in rochester as opposed to maryland. a couple inches of snow is normal and they generally do a great job of salting/plowing. now when we get a couple feet of snow, then the plowing, etc gets backed up.

i second the heavy stuff in the trunk tip. i used to drive an old jetta and i kept a bag of sand in the trunk. it did pretty well. also, in addition to the shovel, you will definitely want one of those ice scrapers, a long one with a brush.

in terms of type of car, you'll see people driving everything...a lot of which are really rusty from the salt!

gluck!

Thanks for all the info everybody :) I never would have thought about buying half of these cars. The Subaru looks pretty good though. Is 22 mpg normal? It seems kinda low for a car. I thought ~30mpg was good.

tinkerbelle said:
Thanks for all the info everybody :) I never would have thought about buying half of these cars. The Subaru looks pretty good though. Is 22 mpg normal? It seems kinda low for a car. I thought ~30mpg was good.

AWD cars use more gas than other cars; 22 isn't bad, though.

FutureOrthoDoc said:
This is a med student were talking about. :sleep:

Hey who said we can't own performance cars.
Heres a pic of my WRX STi.
Turbocharged with 300hp & AWD = fun in the snow.
Bild5.jpg

If you are looking for something under 20K with AWD, get the Impreza 2.5RS

Tinkerbelle are you going to Rochester this fall??

Great car, seen a couple at my campus. Though I still prefer the Evo. Isn't the front hood scoop a bit obtrusive?

zero2hero said:
Great car, seen a couple at my campus. Though I still prefer the Evo. Isn't the front hood scoop a bit obtrusive?

Hood scoop isn't much of a problem. And yes Evo's are great cars too. Depending on the driver, most of them can beat my STi but I find the ride of the Evo too stiff and the interior is kind of bland.

Rzarecta said:
Tinkerbelle are you going to Rochester this fall??

Well, I'm leaning towards it. I really liked the school and I'm so sick of living in Baltimore. Although I don't think Rochester will give me my financial aid package before I have to give Dr. Hansen an answer. Did Rochester offer you enough loans to cover tuition + living expenses?

rpm said:
If you are looking for something under 20K with AWD, get the Impreza 2.5RS

Yeah, that one looks good. One of my friends was saying that I might have trouble finding someone to repair my car in rochester... since subarus aren't as popular as toyotas etc. Plus, repair costs for a SuUbaru might be higher than for another brand. He suggested a Pontiac Vibe. What do y'all think?

All current Subarus have AWD. The models based on the Impreza frame - the smaller of the models, are cheapest.

If you go to this link: http://www.subaru.com/shop/all_models.jsp it you can see which models are under 20K. There are three - two wagons, and one sedan.

Very few low-end models of cars come with AWD, it's usually reserved for the higher-end models each manufacturer offers.

I can't say enough about Subarus - I have two of them, and they worked awesome in New England snow.

After a 14" snowstorm, I dug out the drivers-side door, climbed in and drove right out of my unshoveled driveway. The guy across the street was shaking his head at me when I climbed into the car, but his jaw dropped when I cleared the driveway. Next year, I saw a Forester in his driveway ... ;)

tinkerbelle said:
Yeah, that one looks good. One of my friends was saying that I might have trouble finding someone to repair my car in rochester... since subarus aren't as popular as toyotas etc. Plus, repair costs for a SuUbaru might be higher than for another brand. He suggested a Pontiac Vibe. What do y'all think?

The base price for the AWD Vibe is 21K. I doubt you will incur $3K worth of repairs to make up for the cost difference in the two cars.

tkim6599 said:
I can't say enough about Subarus - I have two of them, and they worked awesome in New England snow.

After a 14" snowstorm, I dug out the drivers-side door, climbed in and drove right out of my unshoveled driveway. The guy across the street was shaking his head at me when I climbed into the car, but his jaw dropped when I cleared the driveway. Next year, I saw a Forester in his driveway ... ;)

Do you have one of these Impreza 2.5 RS Sedans? Or do you have a Subaru SUV or something? I don't understand how you drove through so much snow :p

tkim6599 said:
The base price for the AWD Vibe is 21K. I doubt you will incur $3K worth of repairs to make up for the cost difference in the two cars.

Supposedly GM is having a sale until July where you can get the car at the invoice price. And then there is some rebate. So if the dealer is really nice, I could potentially get it for a few thousand less. I don't know the details though. I guess I'll have to go to a Subaru and Pontiac Dealership and see which one I like better.

tinkerbelle said:
Do you have one of these Impreza 2.5 RS Sedans? Or do you have a Subaru SUV or something? I don't understand how you drove through so much snow :p

I have two Subaru Outbacks - '97 and '98. The 'Outback' models have 1" higher ground clearance and a beefier suspension.

I just looked at the Vibe and it has 1.8L engine with 123 hp. The Impreza has a 2.5L engine with 165 hp. That's a significant difference in hauling gear and hauling ass.

tkim6599 said:
I have two Subaru Outbacks - '97 and '98. The 'Outback' models have 1" higher ground clearance and a beefier suspension.

well the outback is only $900 more. That's not too bad. And it has the same mpgs as the sedan.

I just looked at the Vibe and it has 1.8L engine with 123 hp. The Impreza has a 2.5L engine with 165 hp. That's a significant difference in hauling gear and hauling ass.

Does that really make a difference? I mean, keep in mind I'm a girl and I drive like a turtle. Do I need the extra hp and engine volume?

tinkerbelle said:
well the outback is only $900 more. That's not too bad. And it has the same mpgs as the sedan.

Does that really make a difference? I mean, keep in mind I'm a girl and I drive like a turtle. Do I need the extra hp and engine volume?

The hp and engine displacement roughly translate into how much you can haul and how fast you can accelerate. If you need to pass cars on the highway, or you're loaded for the camping trip, those extra horses will make a difference. Also, the engine won't sound like it's about to explode if it's got extra hp to spare.

Although I do read that the Vibe is a joint venture by Pontiac and Toyota. Can't beat those Toyota engines for reliability ...

I''m going to go out on a limb here and recommend a Toyota. I know, they're expensive, but if you get certified pre-owned ones that come with a warranty then you are okay.

My parents bought a '94 4Runner in '96 used, and then a '96 4Runner in 2000. They still have both of them, and they are both nearing 200,000 miles and still going strong. They were both used, but have had no problems so far. Here in the mountains they're nice to have because many of the roads run through gorges or have rock wall faces beside them, which means water runs down and freezes on the road in the winter. You never know when you're going to hit black ice, and I learned to drive in these cars. I never once had a problem even during ice storms.

My Mustang, however, is a different story. It's so small it doesn't do well in the snow. With Toyotas, you have to keep up with maintenance. There's not much involved, but it's crucial to keep it current in order to get that Toyota reliability.

I know everyone is suggesting subarus and other models, but I thought I would throw this in, because you can get a mid to late '90s 4Runner for between ~10-20 grand used, and sometimes even cheaper. I think that's what I'm going to do when I get accepted somewhere. They're rear wheel drive, but if you put weight in the back over the wheels like has been mentioned about car trunks then you are okay.

Just a thought!

Tinkerbelle,

I'm a current student at the Univ. of Rochester and you do not need an all wheel drive car, despite what people on here are saying. You will be just fine with a front wheel drive car. They do a great job of clearing the roads, and driving is not an issue. I hope this helps.

Justin

tinkerbelle said:
Ok, thanks. I see it.

I wish it was cheaper though :p I suppose 25k isn't too bad. But was hoping for < 20k... which is why i was hoping the toyota corolla would be good in snow.

Now I :love: the WRX but I have to say that you should be just fine with a Corolla in Rochester. AWD would be great but a front-wheel front-engine car (like a Corolla) will work just dandy. Just get a set of snow tires and practice in an empty parking lot to get used to the very slight sliding and before long you won't mind snow at all.

I don't drive a Corolla but my college roomate from Connecticut drove one all through high school and undergrad in the snow and he never had any problems whatsoever.

Snow driving really isn't that bad as long as you're not driving a rear wheel drive car without snow tires or something.

If I buy an AWD, does this mean i don't have to bother buying snow tires for it (b/c their tires should be good enough)? And if the Corolla and the Subaru are about the same price, shouldn't I get the AWD?

mustangsally- i totally agree with you about toyota 4runners... i love them :love: My dad has one. But I want a new car and it's way out of my price range. I don't even know how I'm going to afford a subaru or a corolla.

Grew up there. First car was atx...second was a standard. Standard helps a lot more in the snow b/c you can downshift and avoid the disasters that happen when you hit a patch of ice and slam your breaks in panic. You'll see cars fly off 490 and 590 in blizzards.

Make sure you get good winter tires. People typically have a set of them, I don't think people switch tires in most areas of the country, idk. Go through to Delta Sonic in the winter- the car wash sprays under your car really good. Salt on the road will rust away your exhaust and everything under your car if it stays there really long. Use WD40 in locks during winter to prevent them from freezing up. I didn't know my key was cracked from that once...broke right in 1/2, really sucked b/c I was an hour away!

They do a good job of clearing the snow. It will be done overnight usually. Make sure you don't park in the road of sidestreets during winter bc from what I remember growing up, the plow truck will lay on the horn at 3 am until you come move your car. There is also some weird alternate parking thing downtown...every other day the other side of the road is where you park or you get a ticket.

You don't need AWD. But people who drive RWD fishtail like crazy. FWD is fine.
Have you found a place to live yet??

Yeah AWD definitely provides better traction - I'm just saying that it's not a necessity for snow driving.

You don't need snow tires for a front-wheel or AWD car but snow tires will help any car drive better in the snow. Give it a try without the snow tires, and if you feel like your car is slipping too much get some snow tires.

You guys are so awesome for posting all this advice :)

NikkiFSU said:
Have you found a place to live yet??

Um. Nope. I guess I need to start looking.

If you're single, check out the park ave/east ave area. If you have a family with kids, live in Brighton or Pittsford.

Yeah. I lived on East Ave. for a summer, and was working @ URMC doing research. Not a long drive at all, right across the river, 10 min. away. Lots of the bars are w/i walking distance on East Ave...in the sense that walking would prolly be faster (2 blocks). East Ave has lots of things- good coffee shops, decent restaurants., a Wegmans (haha you will soon find out). If you like to go out, I'd say stay around here. I don't remember it being loud during the week, and on the weekends it isn't too distracting unless u live on top of the bars :laugh: Great gym right there (Rochester Athletic club). If you stay summer, Park Ave and East Ave fests are huge and a great time. Lots of UR and Eastman school of music people live here too, esp. the later b/c its so close, people come internationally to Eastman, so the area has a diverse crowd. You would not have to deal with expressway driving in winter, too. Plowed slightly before, but faster= more dangerous when you hit black ice. And lots of cool stuff in the vicinity.

I was going to say Brighton. Adjacent to downtown...I think that is actually the town where the med center/Strong are considered to be in. Pittsford isn't too bad, I know it is overall more expensive but idk about the apartments. Slightly longer drive, b/t the biggest mall and UR. I hardly go home anymore so I don't remember lol, but I think you'd take 590 to school. I live in Irondequoit, which is really close, but don't think there are many apts. there at all.

Hmm. I guess East Avenue/Park Avenue sounds like the type of place I want to be :)

NikkiFSU said:
Yeah. I lived on East Ave. for a summer, and was working @ URMC doing research. Not a long drive at all, right across the river, 10 min. away. Lots of the bars are w/i walking distance on East Ave...in the sense that walking would prolly be faster (2 blocks). East Ave has lots of things- good coffee shops, decent restaurants., a Wegmans (haha you will soon find out). If you like to go out, I'd say stay around here. I don't remember it being loud during the week, and on the weekends it isn't too distracting unless u live on top of the bars :laugh: Great gym right there (Rochester Athletic club). If you stay summer, Park Ave and East Ave fests are huge and a great time. Lots of UR and Eastman school of music people live here too, esp. the later b/c its so close, people come internationally to Eastman, so the area has a diverse crowd. You would not have to deal with expressway driving in winter, too. Plowed slightly before, but faster= more dangerous when you hit black ice. And lots of cool stuff in the vicinity.

I was going to say Brighton. Adjacent to downtown...I think that is actually the town where the med center/Strong are considered to be in. Pittsford isn't too bad, I know it is overall more expensive but idk about the apartments. Slightly longer drive, b/t the biggest mall and UR. I hardly go home anymore so I don't remember lol, but I think you'd take 590 to school. I live in Irondequoit, which is really close, but don't think there are many apts. there at all.

oh, sweet wegmans. and to think that, growing up, i thought there was produce like that everywhere...