Cars in D-school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wanted to get a feel for what to do about a car in d-school. If I go to say, MCG (near home), I'll have a car. But if I go to BU or NYU chances are I wont. That being said, my car is getting old and will prob need replacing before I start d-school (whenever that is). Dont wanna drive the thing for 4 additional years, and wouldnt want to worry about buying one during school. Is it feasable to use part of a school loan for a car or what? If you got a regular car loan you wouldnt be able to make payments while in school I dont think. At least I wouldnt be able to. How does that work? Also when I was visiting MCG, I saw some NICE cars. A lot of the students had BMW's, Audi's, Acura's, etc. All very nice and fairly expensive. Is this normal at other schools?? Just gettin a feel for the avg. lifestyle of a student.

Members don't see this ad.

The only bad thing about having a car, especially an old one, is that you cannot predict how much it is going to cost you. If it breaks down on you one day, you could get stuck paying a really bad mechanic bill...

Also, im sure you could use loan money to pay, but thats the point, its a loan, if you can minimize the loans, its cheaper for you in the long run. I think you will have to decide, more loans vs. convience of a car.

IcemanDDS said:
Also when I was visiting MCG, I saw some NICE cars. A lot of the students had BMW's, Audi's, Acura's, etc. All very nice and fairly expensive. Is this normal at other schools?? Just gettin a feel for the avg. lifestyle of a student.

I currently drive a Lexus, but thats only because it was a car my family had before I got into dental school, so I was stuck with it....but there are many people in my class with nice cars as well and many with crap cars. My buddy just bought a brand new mini!!

I guess it all depends on what kinda background you come from.....some are better off than others...thats just life...as long as you can get from your house to the school/supermarket, thats all you need...even if its in a 1987 pinto!

Members don't see this ad :)
dentist_to_be? said:
The only bad thing about having a car, especially an old one, is that you cannot predict how much it is going to cost you. If it breaks down on you one day, you could get stuck paying a really bad mechanic bill...

Also, im sure you could use loan money to pay, but thats the point, its a loan, if you can minimize the loans, its cheaper for you in the long run. I think you will have to decide, more loans vs. convience of a car.
Yea these are issues I'm trying to weigh. If I have a major problem with my old car, where to get money to fix it?? I guess what I'm asking is, CAN you use dental school loan money to buy a car? Maybe they dont want you taking advantage of a low interest rate to buy a car with, i dunno.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I currently drive a Lexus, but thats only because it was a car my family had before I got into dental school, so I was stuck with it....but there are many people in my class with nice cars as well and many with crap cars. My buddy just bought a brand new mini!!

I guess it all depends on what kinda background you come from.....some are better off than others...thats just life...as long as you can get from your house to the school/supermarket, thats all you need...even if its in a 1987 pinto!
My friend at MCG is driving an Acura CL Type-S, very nice car. Some of his classmates drive BMW M3, 3-Series wagon, Audi 1.8T, Lexus IS300. These are fancy cars for dent students, so I'm just wondering if they are all simply rich, or if they took out a loan or something before school and just planning on paying for once they get out. My friend BTW just worked and saved up a TON of money during undergrad so he just bought his car with cash before school started.

my guess is that their parents are physicians/dentists. who knows though, some people here have loans for theirs, but most just have nice parents.

get a decent car that'll get you around, like a honda. save the nice car for after you graduate.

IcemanDDS said:
Yea these are issues I'm trying to weigh. If I have a major problem with my old car, where to get money to fix it?? I guess what I'm asking is, CAN you use dental school loan money to buy a car? Maybe they dont want you taking advantage of a low interest rate to buy a car with, i dunno.

Well I believe in the loan application they give you some money for transportation... it was $1500-3000. But you can cut back somewhere else, for instance, on your rent, and then add more to that...

Aside from tuition and equipment, the rest of the money they give you is for you to use so you can live and get to school. If there is an emergency and you need more money, I think you can make an appeal to the financial aid office.

cars... way too slow and too many wheels...

cough up 3k and buy yourself a motorcycle.... cheap, great transporation in a city, and what nubile young things can resist a future Doc on a bike??

mvs04 said:
cars... way too slow and too many wheels...

cough up 3k and buy yourself a motorcycle.... cheap, great transporation in a city, and what nubile young things can resist a future Doc on a bike??
Hmm I'm thinkin a used Honda S2000. Its fast, good on gas, and its a Honda. Oh and convertible. What chick can resist a future doc in a convertible? :thumbup:

IcemanDDS said:
Hmm I'm thinkin a used Honda S2000. Its fast, good on gas, and its a Honda. Oh and convertible. What chick can resist a future doc in a convertible? :thumbup:
LOL! I have an S2000 and you are right about the chick thing! Unfortunately, my wife doesn't care for that aspect of it. I'll probably have to sell mine before I go off to dental/med/grad school though. Then again, it may be paid off before I decide what I want to do with my life. :rolleyes:

Oh, and it's at best average on fuel economy. A Corvette actually gets better highway mileage!

OP : if you go to NYU you wont want a car. . . $$$ just to park!

Can someone who has actually bought a car in dental school tell me how they did it?

I have heard people say, "just get a student loan" but can you be more specific.

Can you go into the financial aid office at your school and just ask for an additional $10,000 at any time?

Did you get private loans?

Members don't see this ad :)
there'll be another Audi in the MCG parking lot come this fall. :D

I purchased it when I started my previous career coming out of college. with cost of living in Augusta being dirt cheap, you could probably finance a car through student loans.

Haha nice. Are you getting the covered parking? Its like $500 a year or so I heard to park in the faculty parking deck, but I heard its worth it. You get a reserved space, etc. My friend said its a pain to find a parking space in the morning with everyone else, then you gotta walk a good way.

A used S2000 is like $20k or less, which is fairly reasonable I think. Or I could get a newer cheaper Honda for about the same price, but it wouldnt be as nice :D (or cool :cool: )

I wouldn't get a car in dental school unless I have to.

Although 97% of dental students incur some sort of educational debt while in dental school with the average over 100K, remember you want to minimize your debt as much as possible so when you leave dental school you can have your own practice. Even if 16k for a new Corolla doesn't sound that bad in comparison to 120K, remember cars cost insurance, gas and repairs and they can add up quickly. Especially since working is not an option in dental school.

If not having a car is not an option, I wouldn't worry about having the nicest car but probably the most economical car while in graduate school. I would suggest getting a car about 3-4 years old (2001-2 models) that have less than 55K. This means they probably have a good 30-40k miles still in them and they have depreciated in price by as much as half.

Go to this website to learn more about dental finances: debt figures, financial loan information, etc

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/careers/infopaks/finances.asp

Here is a web site mainly toyota's but has good information in what to look for in a used vehicle.

http://www.samarins.com/reviews/corolla.html

Well I would almost have a practice waiting for me when I got out, so no worry of startup costs. If I didn't, I'd still go in with someone else to gain speed and learn some other aspects of dental practice without the responsibility of it yet.

As far as debt out of school goes, I'd be glad to take out a little more money for a good car that will be worry free during school. Then just pay back the loan like normal, only it would be extended a little. Would not think you'd be very concerned about money once you started working as long as you're living within your means and not incurring TONS of unnecessary debt.

So I guess the answer is you CAN buy a car with part of a student loan. Correct? And no, I wont have a car unless I needed one. NYU for example, I would NOT have one, just not logical. But if I end up going to MCG here in state, I'll want a good car. One under $20k is reasonable if you ask me...

I originally drove a 2001 VR6 jetta which was farily tuned out (chip, intake, exhaust, schrick cams) but then I realized it was never going to be as fast as I wanted it to be. So, I sold it and got a 1995 jeep wrangler with 70000 miles for $6000 - exactly 1/2 the cost of what I sold the VW for. The jeep is a really fun car to drive around in and take onto trails. Plus you cant beat a topless and doorless car in the summer :) Only downside is with the 4 cyl engine you literally can't go more than 75mph on flat ground.

Iceman about the expensive cars -- not many people at MCG come straight from undergrad into school. Lots have had careers.

Hey Dofu, you should use some of your loan to put a stage III/IV on your car if you haven't already :D

you can do whatever you want with student loans (how would they know?), but they won't give you EXTRA to buy a car, house, etc. You get what their budget estimates you need for tuition/books/fees, a modest but good apartment plus utilities, and food and personal items. If you can find ways to save on that stuff like getting a cheaper apartment with some roommates, not eating out, and being creative with buying books, then whatever money you save doing that you can put towards a car or whatever you want.
If you have a family or you want a car or other things that you can't afford while still making their tuition,room and board budget, then you have to take out regular bank loans which don't have the low interest incentives like student loans do. at least this is all what i was told at the 4 schools I interviewed at. :)

back to cars... since my apartment comes with a parking space, I'll be bringing one. not so much for getting to class since i am within walking distance, but more for going to the store, the occasional visit home, or any other outside of school activities. I am probably going to try to find a used mini-suv (think subaru forester, ford escape or ford explorer "sport".) i figure it should be reliable, safer than a small car, and have lots of room for hauling stuff.

DrTacoElf said:
I originally drove a 2001 VR6 jetta which was farily tuned out (chip, intake, exhaust, schrick cams) but then I realized it was never going to be as fast as I wanted it to be. So, I sold it and got a 1995 jeep wrangler with 70000 miles for $6000 - exactly 1/2 the cost of what I sold the VW for. The jeep is a really fun car to drive around in and take onto trails. Plus you cant beat a topless and doorless car in the summer :) Only downside is with the 4 cyl engine you literally can't go more than 75mph on flat ground.

Iceman about the expensive cars -- not many people at MCG come straight from undergrad into school. Lots have had careers.

Hey Dofu, you should use some of your loan to put a stage III/IV on your car if you haven't already :D
Cool...a fellow car-nut. :thumbup: I've got a *few* mods on my A4. ;) That stage III sure would be tempting, though there's a K04 in it already.

DrTacoElf said:
Only downside is with the 4 cyl engine you literally can't go more than 75mph on flat ground.

I "only" have 4 cyclinders and my car can go faster than 75. In fact it goes up to 155 and 0-60 in under 5 seconds ;) The number of cylinders has little to do with power...maybe you should stop eating so many tacos doc :laugh:

CJWolf said:
...get a decent car that'll get you around, like a honda. save the nice car for after you graduate.

I have to agree. It's only dental school, so don't start feeling to proud of yourself.

What does this post have to do with dental school? Everyone with fancy cars got them from their parents...otherwise you wouldn't need to bother with dental school. The exception is those students who pour all their money into the car because that is what "people will see". Meanwhile they live in a trailer or ratty apartment.

flat4 said:
I "only" have 4 cyclinders and my car can go faster than 75. In fact it goes up to 155 and 0-60 in under 5 seconds ;) The number of cylinders has little to do with power...maybe you should stop eating so many tacos doc :laugh:
I'm pretty sure Tacoelf was talking about a Jeep 4-cyl specifically, not 4-cyl in general.

toofache32 said:
I have to agree. It's only dental school, so don't start feeling to proud of yourself.

What does this post have to do with dental school? Everyone with fancy cars got them from their parents...otherwise you wouldn't need to bother with dental school. The exception is those students who pour all their money into the car because that is what "people will see". Meanwhile they live in a trailer or ratty apartment.
Speaking of nice cars, personally I wouldnt be getting a car that I could be "seen" in. I'm a car enthusiest myself and I put a lot of thought into what I would be driving 4 years. I still have my first car from when I was 17, and I'm almost 24. Its an Acura Integra. It was used when I got it, and I'm a little concerned about driving it till I'm 30. I'm not indifferent to cars, and not just looking for something to get me from A to B. I'd like to get a reasonably nice car that I will enjoy for 4 years while keeping the cost down. I dont give a $#!t about what others will think of me and of what I drive in d-school. I just wanna be able to have something "nice" that I'll enjoy while in school, and not some econo-box that I'll dread getting into every morning. FYI not referring to BMW's, Lexus, Benz. Just something reasonable. So part of a school loan could possibly be used for that? Great!

IcemanDDS said:
I'm pretty sure Tacoelf was talking about a Jeep 4-cyl specifically, not 4-cyl in general.
I know, I was being a smart ass. But I gotta admit I get a regular dose of "that things a four banger :eek: " comments from people who think 4 cylinders are supposed to be slow.

flat4 said:
I know, I was being a smart ass. But I gotta admit I get a regular dose of "that things a four banger :eek: " comments from people who think 4 cylinders are supposed to be slow.
Yea trust me, you wont hear me sayin anything like that. So what do you drive? WRX?

I know, I was being a smart ass. But I gotta admit I get a regular dose of "that things a four banger " comments from people who think 4 cylinders are supposed to be slow.
What would they say about my 2 cylinder banger?

bike4.jpg

:laugh:

Oh yeah, it costs me about 4-5 bucks to fill the tank to the brim. Plus, if you ride around in the rain enough, you don't really have to take showers :p

IcemanDDS said:
Yea trust me, you wont hear me sayin anything like that. So what do you drive? WRX?
That's what I have and I love it. It's one of the things keeping me sane thru these tough years. I don't think there's a better therapy for me after a tough day at school than to hear the boxer rumble at WOT. Puts a smile on my face everytime. Also, modding the car on the weekends can be quite therapeutic as well. Sounds like you're into tuning and the S2000 would be perfect for you (the prices of used WRX's seem to be coming down BTW ;) )

Yohan-nice bike. I definitely miss those days :(

yohan520 said:
What would they say about my 2 cylinder banger?

Oh yeah, it costs me about 4-5 bucks to fill the tank to the brim. Plus, if you ride around in the rain enough, you don't really have to take showers :p

hey! another biker pre-dental !

glad there's another one here that have actually experienced REAL speed and performance, not the tin can exhaust and fins over the trunk kind of pathetic car "performance" ...

what bike is it?? looks like a SV. I'm on a Triumph TT atm.

Yea bikes are cool but I need a passenger seat that my hot pre-met girlfriend can sit in :love: . I have NO money right now, and in search of a new job. That fun car will have to wait a while till I become more financially secure. Job ideas?? :oops:

mvs04 said:

glad there's another one here that have actually experienced REAL speed and performance, not the tin can exhaust and fins over the trunk kind of pathetic car "performance" ...

I had a 1996 Yamaha SECAII and sold it 2 years ago. It was a good beginner’s bike though. Last summer almost bought a 2003 Yamaha R1 but the insurance rate I was given, efin' killed the deal :mad: Well, lesson learned... gotta stay under 1k cu.cm. to keep the rate affordable. Now, I'm looking into a GSXR750 or possibly a CBR600

mvs04, I’ve never been a big fan, personally, of English bikes, but im sure your TT gets you noticed :D Sweet bike dude!

Mine's a Suzuki GS500. It's no I-4, but it'll still go if you encourage it enough :p I'm actually looking to get a SV (gotta love the low end torque).

MV, I was reading your little riding log and it's pretty neat! Pictures are awesome! There was one entry where you said you ran out of gas so you walked to the nearest gas station and drank 2 bottles of beer to fill it up with gas? :eek: :confused: Since you didn't mention calling a taxi I'm guessing you proceeded to ride the motorcycle afterwards?

I know that you were kidding, right? :scared: Last time someone I know tried that, he hit the curb, highsided and landed flat on his face (of course he wasn't wearing his helmet so he died). Ride safe, ride responsibly :p

And Iceman, who said bikes don't have a passenger seat? :laugh: :thumbup:

I have a cute Mercedes C-Class but I hear those don't work up in Buffalo :rolleyes: I guess I'm gonna need to upgrade to a hummer :)

flat4 said:

Forced induction doesn't count :p

Dentist 2 be said:
I have a cute Mercedes C-Class but I hear those don't work up in Buffalo :rolleyes: I guess I'm gonna need to upgrade to a hummer :)
I hope you're joking. There are few injustices as great as a rich prada-sporting city girl driving the vehicle designed for the outdoor-loving mountain-hiking river-seeking fisherman. Hummers.

Tacoelf, what mileage do you get? I would love a jeep for the mountains and beaches in SoCal, but driving home a couple times a year would be a killer so I'm thinking more along the lines of a Toyota Tacoma, or a hummer :laugh: , I guess I'll shop around for both and see what fits in my budget.

USUaggie said:
I hope you're joking. There are few injustices as great as a rich prada-sporting city girl driving the vehicle designed for the outdoor-loving mountain-hiking river-seeking fisherman. Hummers.

Wow , I can't believe you're still not over the Prada thing.

You should come to NYC and see what it's all about and stop beign sexist.

yohan520 said:
MV, I was reading your little riding log and it's pretty neat! Pictures are awesome! There was one entry where you said you ran out of gas so you walked to the nearest gas station and drank 2 bottles of beer to fill it up with gas? :eek: :confused: Since you didn't mention calling a taxi I'm guessing you proceeded to ride the motorcycle afterwards?

And Iceman, who said bikes don't have a passenger seat? :laugh: :thumbup:

SVs are cool bikes, folks in my Motorcycle club who rides them are very satisfied.

I did ride the bike afterwards (the beer), there was no taxi to call since it was in the middle of the desert and i had seen maybe 5,6 cars that day total. The couple of miles hike through 100 degrees heat more than sobered me up.

Iceman: you know bikes carry two and only two? :) No third wheels and your passengers have to cuddle up close. Though it does eliminate the possibility of giving dudes a ride... but hey, small loss ;) My pre-med girlfriend loves riding on it.

DDS2be: Have fun bike shopping! Gixxers = mindblowingly fast.... my skinny-ass weak wrists and back can't handle that posture for more than 45 seconds though : (

Dentist 2 be said:
Wow , I can't believe you're still not over the Prada thing.

You should come to NYC and see what it's all about and stop beign sexist.

Can I stop being sexist if I never started? I have a tremendous amount of respect for the women in my life (mom, sisters, gf) and I always treat them with respect.

I've been to NYC, it's great! It was a new experience but I had a wonderful time. I went and met Rupert G. from the Late show and ate at his deli. He's a real nice guy, as were most people I met. I went sightseeing by myself on crutches and everywhere I went the people were very accomidating - punk kids were offering me their seats on the subways.

"not over"? I probably shouldn't have brought it up because I can see how it might be a sensitive subject for you so for that I apologize. I thought BadVibes was pretty mean with his comments but all in all it was an entertaining thread for those of us not involved. I don't know how you define "getting over" something. I haven't lost any sleep over your bag, I just brought it up.

after learning what a prada bag is and how much it costs, it makes sense to me that you wouldn't have a problem driving the Hummer around in Buffalo. I see the Hummer as an army vehicle well-equipped for the mountains or off-roading and think it sucks that the vast majority of people who drive them have no intention of taking it off-road. I'm just convinced that with wealth comes power and influence and it can be used for better things than bags and hummers which aren't being put to good use.

That's all.

USUaggie said:

Tacoelf, what mileage do you get? I would love a jeep for the mountains and beaches in SoCal, but driving home a couple times a year would be a killer so I'm thinking more along the lines of a Toyota Tacoma, or a hummer :laugh: , I guess I'll shop around for both and see what fits in my budget.

Personally, I have no problem associating girls with hummers. :laugh:

USUaggie said:
Can I stop being sexist if I never started? I have a tremendous amount of respect for the women in my life (mom, sisters, gf) and I always treat them with respect.

I've been to NYC, it's great! It was a new experience but I had a wonderful time. I went and met Rupert G. from the Late show and ate at his deli. He's a real nice guy, as were most people I met. I went sightseeing by myself on crutches and everywhere I went the people were very accomidating - punk kids were offering me their seats on the subways.

"not over"? I probably shouldn't have brought it up because I can see how it might be a sensitive subject for you so for that I apologize. I thought BadVibes was pretty mean with his comments but all in all it was an entertaining thread for those of us not involved. I don't know how you define "getting over" something. I haven't lost any sleep over your bag, I just brought it up.

after learning what a prada bag is and how much it costs, it makes sense to me that you wouldn't have a problem driving the Hummer around in Buffalo. I see the Hummer as an army vehicle well-equipped for the mountains or off-roading and think it sucks that the vast majority of people who drive them have no intention of taking it off-road. I'm just convinced that with wealth comes power and influence and it can be used for better things than bags and hummers which aren't being put to good use.

That's all.

Absolutely No comment. It's just better off that way.

Thanks, I was hoping to end this without a getting-the-last-word-in battle.
(agree to disagree resolution)

mvs04 said:

What you no like my car kook?
052961.jpg

052951.jpg

I used to own a slightly modded CBR600F3 and I had fun with that sucker but it was just too damn impractical but definitely fun. Nothing like riding a bike in the snow. Maybe I'll have a Sunday cruiser one of these days but it'll be fun to try and convince the wife. So anyways, I know what "true" performance feels like but I guess I have to settle for my "pathetic" excuse for a car until I can afford to buy my 6 figure supercars and have "true" performance :rolleyes:

WTF that looks like something out of "El Rápido y el Furioso."

Hey flat4 do you have anything done to your scooby? I'm looking at either one of those or a used s2000. I was lookin at new RSX Type-S but they kinda girly. I dunno.

Check out me an' muh ride, babyyyyyy! Lookin' good and feelin' bad!

mvs04 said:

I'm a biker pre-dent too! Yes..I'm a also a girl:)

not sure if I got that pic in or not? Well, I have a 1996 Honda Rebel...ladies ~ a motorcycle is a guy magnet believe it or not!

how do i get a picture from my hard drive?

angeeeeee said:
...ladies ~ a motorcycle is a guy magnet believe it or not!
I'll second that. A girl who enjoys riding motorcycles would also enjoy several of the same things I do so it's a definate turn-on.