Case Metrohealth vs. Case University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stsa84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone shed some light on these programs? Strengths/weaknesses/reputation? I found an old thread (2006) that compared them, but who knows what's changed in the past 9 years.

I have an interview with both scheduled in about 2 weeks, and am trying to decide if I should interview with both, or just University. Interviewing at MetroHealth (in addition to University) will add a few days to my Cleveland stay, a couple hundred dollars in hotel costs, and I'll miss a few days of my current rotation and get bumped down a letter grade (not a big deal I guess, as programs already have my application and won't see the grades I get on later courses). Don't want to let these things keep me from interviewing at a solid program, but also want to make sure I'm using my time and money wisely. I'm from a different region of the country, know nothing about the area, and can't find any comparison of the hospitals (even from the perspective of other specialties) less than 6 years old.

Any insight, personal or anecdotal, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview at both. Each has a different flavor.
Metro is a workhorse trauma heavy program. The training is hard but very good. The complexity of cases is not that good with the exclusion of trauma. There are no transplants, light cardiac experience. Strengths would be trauma, regional, and ob. The board prep isnt awesome either.
UH is a truly academic center. Wide variety of cases. Starts level 1 trauma soon. Residents seem to be competent. The schedule used to be better than metro but that was a few years ago.
Either institution will make you a good doc and get you a fellowship if you choose. Your bigger choice is will you spend 3-4 years in cleveland.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview at both. Each has a different flavor.
Metro is a workhorse trauma heavy program. The training is hard but very good. The complexity of cases is not that good with the exclusion of trauma. There are no transplants, light cardiac experience. Strengths would be trauma, regional, and ob. The board prep isnt awesome either.
UH is a truly academic center. Wide variety of cases. Starts level 1 trauma soon. Residents seem to be competent. The schedule used to be better than metro but that was a few years ago.
Either institution will make you a good doc and get you a fellowship if you choose. Your bigger choice is will you spend 3-4 years in cleveland.

Thanks, lot of good info. Based on your rec, I think I'll go ahead and plan for both interviews. Yeah, Cleveland holds no attraction for me. Bad weather, worse sports. My med school's in a pretty crappy town though, so it actually may be a step up. Thanks for the words.

Cleveland clinic! Enough said......

Sounds simple enough. If they would be so kind as to send an invite my way, I would gladly accept it.

Residents from both rotated with us at Ccf- narcus prince (I have to stop from typing your real name lol) will back me up in this. They simply were not at the same level as we were... That said uh residents were stronger than metro health. Definitely rank uh higher than metro but interview at both. And Cleveland totally sucks....

Residents from both rotated with us at Ccf- narcus prince (I have to stop from typing your real name lol) will back me up in this. They simply were not at the same level as we were... That said uh residents were stronger than metro health. Definitely rank uh higher than metro but interview at both.
QdEUkuP.gif

And Cleveland totally sucks....

As staff who has taught all 3 groups i would say it more depends on the resident than the place. And metro residents do not rotate at ccf.

As staff who has taught all 3 groups i would say it more depends on the resident than the place. And metro residents do not rotate at ccf.
I would also say that there are other choices than ccf, uh or metro. Just depends on what your looking for.