Case Western vs. UVa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyedoc2016zz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
I have to choose between Case and UVa today due to interview conflicts. Could anyone give me some advice on the pros/cons of each program?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hasn't case been on probation? Plus they have Cleveland Clinic right near by. Go UVA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone give me more info on why they think UVa > Case? I thought Case had been on probation 4 or more years ago, not recently.

Overall I think I'd prefer Charlottesville over Cleveland mostly due to weather. But UVa is a small program with 3 residents per class while Case has double that

Case Western has a stronger VA, where you get many cases. Virginia has a weak, far away, small VA hospital. However, UVa's VA hospital does have a decent faculty member there, but that's just one, so you'll know just his way. In contrast, there are more faculty at the VA in Cleveland but I have no idea if they are uncaring and sloppy, or great teachers.

Against Cleveland is that I know a very stinky and selfish graduate from there. If that program produces that, ouch.

Bottom line: uncertain, but I'd lean slightly towards Cleveland. If you have something slightly unusual in your application, Cleveland might take a chance and take you because they have more residents but a smaller program would probably be able to find 6-8 standard good applicants and rank them higher. For Cleveland's 6, maybe you have to be in the top 16-18 so psychologically, they could put an unusual person in #17 while if you are #17 ranked at UVa, you might not get in. A DO got into Cleveland. (This logic doesn't apply to the top places because they get lots of perfect applicants).

"Plus they have Cleveland Clinic nearby" has no bearing. There are good programs in the same city as lousy programs. There are lousy programs not close to any other programs. There are good programs not close to any other program. A VA is important for a program. So are good conferences. So are good faculty members at the university.

Case Western has a stronger VA, where you get many cases. Virginia has a weak, far away, small VA hospital. However, UVa's VA hospital does have a decent faculty member there, but that's just one, so you'll know just his way. In contrast, there are more faculty at the VA in Cleveland but I have no idea if they are uncaring and sloppy, or great teachers.

Against Cleveland is that I know a very stinky and selfish graduate from there. If that program produces that, ouch.

Bottom line: uncertain, but I'd lean slightly towards Cleveland. If you have something slightly unusual in your application, Cleveland might take a chance and take you because they have more residents but a smaller program would probably be able to find 6-8 standard good applicants and rank them higher. For Cleveland's 6, maybe you have to be in the top 16-18 so psychologically, they could put an unusual person in #17 while if you are #17 ranked at UVa, you might not get in. A DO got into Cleveland. (This logic doesn't apply to the top places because they get lots of perfect applicants).

To defend the graduates from the program I know two incredible people who graduated from case ;) I don't know much about either program, but I will chime in...
VA's are important if the program has no other system in place to get you surgeries and autonomy. Some programs have decent surgical volume without a VA. They will have another hospital/rotation in place to bring you surgeries.

I met a recent graduate of Case who matched elsewhere. They ranked Case very low and described pretty prominent discord among faculty members. Stated she would be very unhappy to match at her home program. I don't know any more details.

UVA is a smallish program and Charlottesville is amazing. They have a continuity clinic all 3 years and an ocular oncologist on faculty. I would personally have chosen UVA over Case.

I'm a UVA resident here and I know nothing about Case, but I do want to clarify a few things.

First off, even though our VA rotation is in a different city, it is awesome. The chief that just returned easily performed 175 cataracts in the four months he was down there. He will finish our program with more than 300 if he wants.

Secondly we have more than just one well known faculty member. Dr Netland is a glaucoma and aniridia guru and Dr Newman is a Neuro-ophthalmology giant. We have a great new cornea attending and our ocular oncologist is phenomenal.

Third, Cleveland does not even hold a candle to Charlottesville.

PM me with more questions.

I'm a UVA resident here and I know nothing about Case, but I do want to clarify a few things.
Secondly we have more than just one well known faculty member. Dr Netland is a .

Whoa, very defensive. Read what I wrote. I wrote that UVa VA guy is rumored to be a good cataract surgeon and that the VA has one good guy. I didn't say that the entire program, including the main campus, has only one good faculty member.

What I found out during interviews is that the worst programs scream the loudest that they are good. Therefore, UVa people should so state but not scream. There is another program in their region that is among the worse programs in the country but one chief resident insisted that they were among the best programs in the country.

Whoa, very defensive. Read what I wrote. I wrote that UVa VA guy is rumored to be a good cataract surgeon and that the VA has one good guy. I didn't say that the entire program, including the main campus, has only one good faculty member.

What I found out during interviews is that the worst programs scream the loudest that they are good. Therefore, UVa people should so state but not scream. There is another program in their region that is among the worse programs in the country but one chief resident insisted that they were among the best programs in the country.

You're speaking in tongues.