CASPer preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did anyone's test crash during this cycle? i'm debating whether i should cancel my test tomorrow since it seems like a busy date

Members don't see this ad.

how long after the exam do you receive your score?
and for NYMC, they will still review our app even if we haven't taken CASPer, correct?

If I take the CASPer for NYMC, do I still need to take the CASPer when applying to McMaster?
Yes because they are difference versions of Casper. And why are you labelled as a "Medical Student" if you are still taking the Casper?

Members don't see this ad :)
how long after the exam do you receive your score?
and for NYMC, they will still review our app even if we haven't taken CASPer, correct?
You never get your score, only your school does. I can't remember the answer to your second question but I *think* they'll still review your app. Double check the school website though.

who's writing the test tomorrow?! am I too late? I still don't want to write this test
I just finished mine:

I think it was okay, but I couldn't finish two of my responses, and I accidentally made a joke in one <- I don't know if that was appropriate or not.

I just finished mine:

I think it was okay, but I couldn't finish two of my responses, and I accidentally made a joke in one <- I don't know if that was appropriate or not.

Hahaha!! Just finished mine too. I had to try hard to hide my sarcasm! My timer ended mid-sentence on a bunch of them.

I just finished mine as well! I feel just okay about it. Definitely not bad, but I thought I would be able to convey my personality and character more strongly. The 5 minutes for each section go by REALLY quickly. I had enough time to process the situation, and then give a very vanilla, objective answer, but not enough to put my own personal, extra flavor on it.

Also, you guys are pretty bold if you included sarcasm in your answers! It can be misinterpreted so easily. Unless you ended each section with a "/s" ;)

I really don't like CASPer.

That is all I have to report here. :p:p

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished mine as well! I feel just okay about it. Definitely not bad, but I thought I would be able to convey my personality and character more strongly. The 5 minutes for each section go by REALLY quickly. I had enough time to process the situation, and then give a very vanilla, objective answer, but not enough to put my own personal, extra flavor on it.

I'm not sure they're gonna like my flavor

Lol, I had a video in which a someone gave a cupcake to her friend as a gift, only to ask him for a pretty big ethically ambiguous favor.

One of the questions was "How would you advise the student to respond?"

After I gave my actual answer, I ended with "He should also eat that cupcake. It looks delicious."

Reactions: 1 users
Just a heads up to all of you applying to NYMC, your file is reviewed before CASPER scores and some of you may receive an II before the school gets your score, however they do take the scoring into account. I personally received an II 48 hours after they received my score, so it may be what pushes you over the edge to snag that II.

Just a heads up to all of you applying to NYMC, your file is reviewed before CASPER scores and some of you may receive an II before the school gets your score, however they do take the scoring into account. I personally received an II 48 hours after they received my score, so it may be what pushes you over the edge to snag that II.

How long was it until they got your score after taking it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, was anyone else really busted looking in their photo? I was surrounded by a total mess! Do adcoms look at that?? If so, I can kiss CMU goodbye

That's a big big assumption though?

I have a feeling Casper is just something schools add to their "holistic review" arsenal..... For their holistic-ness.

Search on YouTube Casper NYMC

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm writing my test today. Here's what I did to study for CASPer:

1) Read "Doing Right" by Philip C. Hébert - Excellent crash course in medical ethics in Ontario, the book contains a lot of different scenarios that you shouldn't just read through and gloss over, but actually think about and give yourself 3 or so minutes to write an answer. I bought a small kitchen timer for this purpose. Discussing cases with friends could be helpful, but I'd caution against it because CASPer is not an interview. Don't study as if it is one. This book can be hard to come by, make sure you buy/check it out in advance.

2) Look up the background/FAQs of CASPer - Get a very good understanding of the format of the test, use CASPer's sample test to your advantage (https://takecasper.com/sample-casper-test/), learn the history and acknowledge that the test is designed so that it is difficult to improve your score by studying

3) Find sample questions from different websites and use those to your advantage. There's tons of stuff on YouTube if you do a quick search for 'CASPer sample questions', 'medical ethics questions', or 'medical interview questions'.

4) Go over your ABS shortly before test day. Make sure you are familiar with everything you've done. Possibly have that list read to /very/ quickly skim over if you blank during the test. Remember you can have resources beside you.

5) Practice taking notes for videos/sample questions to accurately get an idea of the scenario. On test day, you can't go back and re-watch the video. It's a 1-time deal. Make it count!

This last thing is just a note. I was a little surprised that this study found the median typing speed of medical residents/fellows was around 36 wpm (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3963776/). There's a lot of bull**** out there about answering a question fully and approaching from multiple angles. Remember you have to write 3 questions in 5 minutes - that breaks down to 1 min 40 sec per question. Your responses will be about 100 words (more or less, I feel like the study might underestimate the skills of you beasts) if you're a fast typer. How much can you really fit in that space? Obviously use your discretion when you type and allocate time as you see fit, I just caution you to be careful. Don't bite off more than you can chew in your answer approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
And how can we find out if there are some new schools using CASper test so we can skip them? lol I don't want to do this test ever again

I thought Canadian med schools also liked CASPer?

Does anyone got updates about which schools will be using CASPer this year?

Last edited:
well this is extremely annoying

Lol...like we needed this added stress right?

I've taken CASPer twice actually in the past for Canadian apps and was fortunate that my test never crashed on me which happened to other applicants on that took theirs on a different date than mine. But looks like my luck ran out this year :(

Last edited:
I waited ~2 hours then gave up and found an email that said I was rescheduled for a week out, couldn't take it because I was traveling, then had to wait a whole month to take the next rendition. Which also glitched.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

And the prophecy is fulfilled!

Oh my goodness, I cannot believe I got in just fine. This is definitely a first for me.

no technical issues here. Go figure (this will utterly shock my husband since I'm the queen of technical issues).

Happy for you @DBC03, I was wondering if there was going to be an issue for you

Yep - definitely glad I Just went ahead with it. I'm the queen of technical issues, so it is really nice to have that done.

Lol...like we needed this added stress right?

I've taken CASPer twice actually in the past for Canadian apps and was fortunate that my test never crashed on me which happened to other applicants on that took theirs on a different date than mine. But looks like my luck ran out this year :(

Wow ... I def feel for you,