casts and impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user2222

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i recently did an alginate impression for a preliminary impression for an edentulous patient for the mandible and maxilla
i then poured the cast in yellow stone
but i havent separated the impression from the yellow stone for a few days now. (it will be around 5 days since i poured it, when i separate it)
should i be worried about the cast cracking when i am separating it from the impression? any tips to help separate the cast from the impression without it breaking?

Members don't see this ad.

hi i recently did an alginate impression for a preliminary impression for an edentulous patient for the mandible and maxilla
i then poured the cast in yellow stone
but i havent separated the impression from the yellow stone for a few days now. (it will be around 5 days since i poured it, when i separate it)
should i be worried about the cast cracking when i am separating it from the impression? any tips to help separate the cast from the impression without it breaking?

The stone will be more brittle because the alginate sucked out water. The concern would normally be cracking off teeth when removing the tray, but since you don’t have teeth, you will be fine. I really doubt the whole cast will break in half, and even if it did, this is a prelim impression so you could use super glue to put it back together. You could try rehydrating the alginate to help it slide off, but I think you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
You are just using these Mx and Md casts for making custom trays right? So you don’t have to worry too much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The stone will be more brittle because the alginate sucked out water. The concern would normally be cracking off teeth when removing the tray, but since you don’t have teeth, you will be fine. I really doubt the whole cast will break in half, and even if it did, this is a prelim impression so you could use super glue to put it back together. You could try rehydrating the alginate to help it slide off, but I think you will be fine.

is this what you mean by rehydrating the alginate?

Carefully remove trays and then alginate piece by piece

As long as you have a good base on your cast you’ll be fine. It’s edentulous so you so won’t break off any teeth. Just be careful when separating them.

If you know it will be more than 6 hours from when you take the impressions from when you separate them, put them in a large Tupperware container, with a wet paper towel, making sure that the alginate does not touch anything, and seal them up.

But seriously, what the heck are you doing that you cannot separate the impressions after 45 minutes?

Last edited:
Prelim Impression - who cares! lol Just make the custom tray to the best of your ability and adjust if needed in the mouth before border molding.

You’ve probably already taken care of it by now, but if not I’d have no fear. Our schools clinic lab has all sorts of new rules due to covid. It’s now become common to not be able to separate impressions for 1-multiple days. There hasn’t seemed to be any problems.

You’ve probably already taken care of it by now, but if not I’d have no fear. Our schools clinic lab has all sorts of new rules due to covid. It’s now become common to not be able to separate impressions for 1-multiple days. There hasn’t seemed to be any problems.

What's the reason behind the new rule?

Lab not open as much as it used to be, only a small number of people allowed in the lab at the same time

If there's a shortage in lab, you could always setup a mini-lab in your home and let fellow students use it for favors and other stuff (or keep it to yourself). Vacuum formers, model trimmers, etc... can be had on ebay for a fraction of the retail price.