Categorical after completing a TY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RawDMed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into a transitional year and not into an advanced program. Can I match into a dermatology program that is categorical or has a linked intern year and will I have IRP funding for the 4 subsequent years after I finish my TY? The funding is all really confusing to me and there isn't good resources to explain all the nuances.

Members don't see this ad.

Your transitional year does not set your IRP, but it does count as a year. Since Derm is 3 years long + internship, if you were to match into Derm in the future your IRP would be 4 years. If you match into a categorical derm program, then you will have decreased funding your last year.

If you match to an advanced derm program with a linked prelim, you do NOT need to rank the prelim at all. You can just leave your supplemental list empty. You'd match to your advanced program, and get the SOAP email that you were partially matched. You'd ignore SOAP, have a gap year (where you could do anything you wanted), and then start Derm. They can't force you to take the prelim -- well, they can, then they make it a Categorical program!

You can also try to match into a Derm R program -- that would start in July 2023, you'd have no gap year.

Many programs will not care about the funding issue anyway.

Reactions: 1 user