Categorical vs Advanced

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drongo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I have a short question. How can one figure out which program offers categorical positions? I have contacted programs I am interested in, but not everybody responded and I cant figure out if they provide the preliminary spot or I have to find it myself....
As I understand categorical program will have the clinical base year position secured for the matched resident. Am I right?

Thanks a lot!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to FRIEDA. I'm not sure of the address so just google it.

There is info on all of the programs and if I remember correctly it describes if they are catagorical or not.

Thanks Burntcrispy,

The problem with FRIEDA is that it has a limited info for many programs and second, it mostly says for which year they accept the applications.
It doesnt really say which program provides prelim position for its matched residents.
Any ideas?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Burntcrispy,

The problem with FRIEDA is that it has a limited info for many programs and second, it mostly says for which year they accept the applications.
It doesnt really say which program provides prelim position for its matched residents.
Any ideas?:confused:

The best idea I have is to forget about it completely until August. You will have many seemingly endless months to deal with things like that. When you are able to use ERAS sometime in August, you will be able to see which are advanced and categorical. The application process is exciting... however it is also very LOOONG and stressful. You don't want to stress out any more than you have to. Good luck.

Thanks a lot, Badgas!

FRIEDA will tell you the length of the program, right under the contact information, it says "Accredited Length"
3 years: it doesn't include the prelim
4 years: does include the prelim

programs that are transitioning to offer a few (or all) 4 year spots for the first time this year might not have updated their FRIEDA information yet