CAU Psyd Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well it's a new program, what makes you say "it may have served a purpose 20+ years ago?"

My comment was about the PsyD in general. It made sense way back when when research and academia ruled the PhD landscape. But now, balanced and more clinically minded PhD programs are the norm. Why pay a fortune when you can get equivalent or better training and get paid for it?

Reactions: 1 user
How is it the best?

Probably because a lot of applicants that post here regarding some of these problems generally don't consider the data and facts provided to them here like you have. Most of the time, they just want replies that talk up the program or say what they were wanting to hear.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably because a lot of applicants that post here regarding some of these problems generally don't consider the data and facts provided to them here like you have. Most of the time, they just want replies that talk up the program or say what they were wanting to hear.

YUP

Reactions: 1 user

Well there was a woman not too long ago who... never mind, I shudder thinking about that thread.

Everyone appreciates a person who considers and evaluates the information presented is instead of attempting to disseminate their predetermined agenda.

Reactions: 2 users
Implementation of the psyd training model got distorted and way out of hand by the late 80s as professional schools began morphing into profit mills and taking huge amounts of students, which did not allow for proper mentorship, supervision, and oversight. Flooding the market in the process. Outside of a half dozen or so programs, many on here view it as a degree with less, not more. Obviously, this is not good. I have met plenty of Psyds. None have had more or superior clinically training compared to what I received. That notion of the psyd is way our of date, hence wiseneuro comment.

Well I'm happy that I'm different than everyone else(yay!) and with that being said. I am strongly considering a Phd over a Psyd now.

Thanks for the website MCParent!

Just a quick question, I contacted a University today about their Phd in Counseling degree but it is not accredited by APA, instead it is accredited by CACREP. Should I look into another program? The person I spoke too in the dept said that I wont actually be a psychologist, I will be a mental health counselor or something of the sort?

Thats true. Ph.D in "counseling" vs ph.d in "counseling psychology." Different programs....

You wouldnt be a psychologist, as they stated, of course. But if you wanna do counseling all day long for the rest of your life...sure.

I just wanted to chime in from my own perspective. I attended a university PsyD program and it was definitely a full-time gig. Each week I did about 20 hours of clinical work, 20 hours of academic work, 20 hours of dissertation work, and 20 hours of applying for internships. I also had to walk ten miles in the snow to get there. So maybe i am exaggerating a bit but not a lot really. The 20 hours of clinical was a given every week and during the summer, too. I got paid for a couple of the practicum placements and also worked a bit as a graduate assistant for a MA level cognitive assessment class. When I was applying for internships, the PhDs and PsyDs had very similar amount of clinical experience and some of the PsyDs went to questionable programs that did not require dissertations. They tended to not get internships. Also, most people that don't like research have never really done it. Most of what is called research in undergrad or high school is just regurgitating secondary sources. I hated it, too. When I started doing the real thing, I fell in love to the point where I started teaching an undergrad research methods course so that others could find out what it really is to be a scientist in psychology.