CBD: No benefit and possible harm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms​

Published:October 18, 2023DOI:Redirecting

Highlights​

• CBD products may have varying amounts of CBD, varying from none to much more than advertised.

• CBD products may contain other chemicals than CBD, some of which may be harmful.

• 16 RCTs for pain used pharmaceutical CBD in oral, buccal/sublingual, and topical forms.

• 15 of the 16 RCTs were negative: no greater pain-relieving effect for CBD than for placebo.

• Meta-analyses link CBD to increased rates serious adverse events and hepatotoxicity.

Abstract​

Cannabidiol (CBD) attracts considerable attention for promoting good health and treating various conditions, predominantly pain, often in breach of advertising rules. Examination of available CBD products in N America and Europe demonstrate that CBD content can vary from none to much more than advertised, and that potentially harmful other chemicals are often included. Serious harm is associated with chemicals found in CBD products, and reported in children, adults, and the elderly. A 2021 International Association for the Study of Pain task force examined the evidence for cannabinoids and pain but found no trials of CBD. Sixteen CBD randomised trials using pharmaceutical supplied CBD or making preparations from such a source and with pain as an outcome have been published subsequently. The trials were conducted in 12 different pain states, using three oral, topical, and buccal/sublingual administration, with CBD doses between 6 and 1600 mg, and durations of treatment between a single dose and 12 weeks. Fifteen of the 16 showed no benefit of CBD over placebo. Small clinical trials using verified CBD suggest the drug to be largely benign; while large scale evidence of safety is lacking there is growing evidence linking CBD to increased rates of serious adverse events and hepatotoxicity. In January 2023, the FDA announced that a new regulatory pathway for CBD was needed. Consumers and health care providers should rely on evidence-based sources of information on CBD, not just advertisements. Current evidence is that CBD for pain is expensive, ineffective, and possibly harmful.

Perspective​

There is no good reason for thinking that CBD relieves pain, but there are good reasons for doubting the contents of CBD products in terms of CBD content and purity.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
OK bIg PhaRma

But it works for meemaw and her cat

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Something we all knew already. But glad we’ve got some data now to back it up

Members don't see this ad :)
My CBD story:

My brother gave me some CBD years ago. For some reason, it ended up in my suitcase on a trip to Destin, FL. Tincture under the tongue. Don't recall the dose. We drove to Pensacola to go to the museum, but I had my carry pistol in the car, and I couldn't come on base. I dropped off my family, and drove back to Destin, then back to Pensacola...

That AM I used some CBD...Don't even know why TBH. I started getting nauseated an hour or two after using it, and it got worse and worse. I'm on the way from Pensacola to Destin and I start having abdominal cramps.

I now have to take a king-sized dump. No big deal, I'll go at the hotel room when I get there. FFWD a whole 2 minutes later, I have to **** so bad I can't breathe and I'm having trouble driving.

I'm trying to pull into a Kroger parking lot and traffic is bad. I am nearly in tears at this point. I am sweating profusely, yelling at cars and groaning loudly. I prayed aloud to my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. I will convert to communism if you make this go away. I confess. Take my life.

I finally got into the Kroger parking lot and sprinted into the bathroom and nuked that place.

I won't use CBD ever again.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Are you sure it was the CBD and not something else you ate? I had a patient tried to blame his GI distress on my ESI and then admitted to eating gas station fish tacos

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
I can eat things that would make a billy goat puke. It was the CBD.

C: Crying
B: Big
D: Diarrhea

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I can eat things that would make a billy goat puke. It was the CBD.

C: Crying
B: Big
D: Diarrhea

That was just the toxins leaving your body. You were cleansed!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
That was just the toxins leaving your body. You were cleansed!
...from whimpering to feeling better than I've felt in my entire life in the time it took for my internal and external anal sphincters to relax for a grand total of 1.8 seconds. Completely emptied my pipe from teeth to tail in 1.8...

I've found the medical cannabis and CBD conversation to be least efficient discussions I have in my clinic.

There is no other topic more infuriating to me, bc no one approaches it objectively. Opinions are formed and entrenched long before they show up in my clinic, and any cannabis or CBD negativity from me results in a noticeably tense discussion.

IF medical cannabis is going to take place in your state, Georgia is doing it the best IMO. You can get 5% tincture, which is more reasonable and with great quality control bc the growers are limited a select few companies.

The 5% tincture sure as heck beats other places where you can get flower over 30%, dabs or extremely potent oils.

I've found the medical cannabis and CBD conversation to be least efficient discussions I have in my clinic.

nowadays, it is easy peasy.

"its legal, you dont need certification. no, research suggests that it does not work, but it is legal. i might not buy it from a gas station that serves fish tacos."

Reactions: 4 users