CBT heavy Psych residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NancyPansy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm still in medical school so I'm pretty clueless about residency, psych or otherwise, but I'm considering psychiatry and have been trying to learn more. I read threads where a few people noted that, compared to a psychologist, there isn't much training in talk therapy for psychiatry residents. Other people have said the training is adequate, so what's your take on that? Is there any residency or certification you would recommend for someone interested in strengthening their talk therapy skills, especially CBT?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a while before you have to worry about it. CBT is one type of therapy, but not the only one. One you get to the point of applying, inquire with each program, and ask for faculty names of who teaches it, number of lectures, and most importantly who supervises CBT cases during residency. Most therapy is learned longitudinally through cases and supervision. Therapy training varies broadly between programs. I wouldn't be satisfied with learning only one kind, and don't expect residencies to spoonfeed therapy training to you.

By the time you're in residency you should aim to be an adult learner. Explore what you want to learn and pursue it. If your residency doesn't have it (no one has everything), figure out how to get it otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users