Cc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExSavior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on what my coummunity college classes should be.

I am trying to decide now if I want to try and take all my pre-med preq so that once I transfer to a UC I can study for the MCAT and take it or just do my gen ed courses to transfer.

If I take my pre-med courses at a CC I expect to get my BS and get in med school in 4 years but if I just do my gen ed and do the pre med courses at the university I will probably have to take my MCAT at the end of senior year, which take 5 years to get in med school.

Will taking all the pre-med courses in CC hurt my chances of getting in a med school?
Which would be a better choice in everyones opinion? My current finances are fine and I will be going to school full time.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no clear consensus on what is the best route to take. The current SDN feature article addresses some of the different options and their pros and cons.

There are tons of posts around here regarding this very issue; but, I'll go ahead and comment since it was something that I researched thoroughly when looking at it myself. Personally, I feel that no matter what individual students or admissions say, there is always going to be preference given to students who complete their prereqs at a university over those completing them at a CC. Think about it, say you have two identical applications, and there is one last spot to fill. Who do you think the selecting body will give preference to? Assuming everything else is identical this will be a determining factor. Now while this may be a bit far-fetched, it does happen and personally I would never really want to be put in that situation. I am trying to make my application as attractive as I possibly can...and face it, University transcripts are much sexier!

My 2 cents....