CCOM vs NSU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current medical students, please help me decide between these schools.

Cost-wise, CCOM and NSUCOM are about the same. But CCOM doesn't have recorded lectures, which sucks. But CCOM has superior clinical rotations (rotating at Cook County, Advocate Christ, Advocate Lutheran, etc etc). Which school is the better bet?

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you want to do residency?
How did you like either school? Same?
Do you like cold winter weather?

I'm not from Florida or Illinois, and don't really mind where I do residency. However I do want to be an a large city where there are a good number of residencies/hospitals. I'm interested in EM/trauma, so that's why it is important. School wise, NSU had a much better campus but CCOM seemed"better put together" and more "serious" if that makes sense. I think I would be happier in either place. Weather wise I like warm weather but I mean, weather is just weather. You get used to it.

So basically, if I don't care about where I wanna practice, should I go to NSU? And just go toCCOm if I wanna practice is chicago?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you compared cost, did you look at just tuition or cost of living as well? Just curious. From reading your post, it seems like you're favoring CCOM.

I'm not from Florida or Illinois, and don't really mind where I do residency. However I do want to be an a large city where there are a good number of residencies/hospitals. I'm interested in EM/trauma, so that's why it is important. School wise, NSU had a much better campus but CCOM seemed"better put together" and more "serious" if that makes sense. I think I would be happier in either place. Weather wise I like warm weather but I mean, weather is just weather. You get used to it.

So basically, if I don't care about where I wanna practice, should I go to NSU? And just go toCCOm if I wanna practice is chicago?

In your position, I'd go to CCOM. More hospitals. More med schools. More research if you want it. At this point, if cost is the same and it doesn't really matter to you, I'd go where there's more all around going on and where I felt the school seemed "better put together". Chicago is massive too, so that should help with exposure.

Both good schools, both have a proven record, both will get you what you want: DO degree and EM. Really the choice is where you see yourself succeeding the most. Given by how you describe them, it seems like you'd prefer CCOM.

I recommend talking to 2nd and 3rd years about how clinicals are set up and where most people go (not just the list of affiliates, but how many people go to each).

In your position, I'd go to CCOM. More hospitals. More med schools. More research if you want it. At this point, if cost is the same and it doesn't really matter to you, I'd go where there's more all around going on and where I felt the school seemed "better put together". Chicago is massive too, so that should help with exposure.

Both good schools, both have a proven record, both will get you what you want: DO degree and EM. Really the choice is where you see yourself succeeding the most. Given by how you describe them, it seems like you'd prefer CCOM.

I recommend talking to 2nd and 3rd years about how clinicals are set up and where most people go (not just the list of affiliates, but how many people go to each).

Thanks. Which is the best way to reach out to M2 and M3s on SDN?

Thanks. Which is the best way to reach out to M2 and M3s on SDN?

I would try facebook instead. Just post in the class group asking for someone to talk to.

Reactions: 1 user
Current medical students, please help me decide between these schools.

Cost-wise, CCOM and NSUCOM are about the same. But CCOM doesn't have recorded lectures, which sucks. But CCOM has superior clinical rotations (rotating at Cook County, Advocate Christ, Advocate Lutheran, etc etc). Which school is the better bet?

If you like snow, go to CCOM, if you like sunshine, go to NSU. I would choose NSU but that is because I do not like snow.

If you like snow, go to CCOM, if you like sunshine, go to NSU. I would choose NSU but that is because I do not like snow.

That is a phenomenally dumb reason to pick a school.

Go to CCOM, OP.

Reactions: 1 user
That is a phenomenally dumb reason to pick a school.

Go to CCOM, OP.

Most older DO schools in my view are roughly equal, if we are talking about a DO school that is newer maybe I would go to CCOM. Both schools are very good, but if I had that choice it would be NSU.

Reactions: 2 users