Celebrating The 2nd Amendment One Fine Firearm At A Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(sorry, we haven't had a gun post in a while. Wasn't feeling quite like the SDN we all know and love.)

Finally received the tax stamp for the 338 suppressor I bought something like 16 months ago, and I made it out to the desert to break it in with the TRG-42.

I'm going to miss these wide open spaces when I move back to the east coast next year.

trg42-fa338ss-sb.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of the East Coast is basically unpopulated outside of the major cities. You could shoot all you want there.

A lot of the East Coast is basically unpopulated outside of the major cities. You could shoot all you want there.
Unfortunately there's not much within a couple hours of where I'm moving. Only BLM area within an hour is swamp. Local private range is only 200 yards. Public range an hour away goes to 300, charges $15/hour to use, and you have to put up with RSOs callin cease fires every 10-15 min. I'm semi-resigned to putting everything .30 and up in the back of the safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
The gun, scope, and suppressor are gorgeous.

Just took a CCW course this past Saturday. Will apply next week with the local sheriff.

I'm still at a loss for what to purchase next as a concealed carry. Shield? Springfield? Definitely leaning towards 9mm.

Also debating a SBR 5.56 plus scope and suppressor versus a more significant rifle for long range targets, see original image.

pgg: That's a great pic. I'm jealous. I haven't been around SDN a whole lot recently, guess I missed your homecoming? Glad you are home safe and sound - welcome back!

pie: I've got a buddy who has a Ruger LC9, as well as a Shield (in 9mm, I think) for his CCW. I'm pretty sure he is sticking with the Shield. I shot both, and I do like the feel of the Shield... and I have a Springfield XDm. I'm trying to remember why he went with the Shield over the Springfield... was the Springfield having some reliability issues? For some reason that is ringing a bell, but I don't honestly remember.

Just took a CCW course this past Saturday. Will apply next week with the local sheriff.

I'm still at a loss for what to purchase next as a concealed carry. Shield? Springfield? Definitely leaning towards 9mm.

Also debating a SBR 5.56 plus scope and suppressor versus a more significant rifle for long range targets, see original image.

I have, and recommend, a Glock model 27 (sub-compact 40 cal), http://us.glock.com/products/model/g27

loaded with Corbon Pow'R Ball ammo. http://gunblast.com/PowRBall.htm

Last edited:
Pgg, what are you doing on the east coast? Fellowship or new gig?

Twentynine Stumps ?

That picture was taken in Arizona. My brother lives in Phoenix, and I store all of my California-contraband at his house. Usually when I visit we take a drive and hike out in the desert. My little Navy hospital is about the size of the one at 29 Stumps, but has fewer Marines, more planes, and more cows.

Pgg, what are you doing on the east coast? Fellowship or new gig?

We're going back to one of the big Navy hospitals (near Norfolk VA). I owe enough years and have enough time in that it would be financial insanity to get out of the Navy just short of the retirement finish line, so I'm taking orders back there. I did my residency there and we still own our house there so it'll be an easy move.

I've applied for a spot (funding) to spend a year out doing a fellowship, but this year the word is there will be no $ for anesthesia subspecialty training, so it'll probably be 2016 or 17 before I get to do my fellowship. Which is OK, it's not like I'm unhappy as a generalist. Thus far the Navy's given me everything I've asked for ... eventually.

pgg: That's a great pic. I'm jealous. I haven't been around SDN a whole lot recently, guess I missed your homecoming? Glad you are home safe and sound - welcome back!

Thanks, got back in mid August. Good deployment - if not for the 12,000 mile commute and time away from home it's a place I'd like to work more.

Last edited:
That picture was taken in Arizona. My brother lives in Phoenix, and I store all of my California-contraband at his house. Usually when I visit we take a drive and hike out in the desert. My little Navy hospital is about the size of the one at 29 Stumps, but has fewer Marines, more planes, and more cows.

Ah, been there. Love looking out the anesthesia office windows at the farmers on their tractors, and the dirt running paths north of the hospital and gym. Google Earth looks like there have been some changes since 2004.

Last edited:

9mm all the way. Load it up with some hot 124 grain (my preference) HP and you've got a whole lot of hurt on your hip. The bad reputation 9mm has is solely the result of fmj rounds used by the military (begin debate here). With HP it's a great round.

The springfield 9mm slim (whatever it's actually called) and the shield have both gotten great reviews. Shoot them both to and see which one feels better.

Might also want to consider Ruger SR9c. Not as slim as the others but shoots and carries like a dream, if you can handle all the safeties.

Members don't see this ad :)

pie: I've got a buddy who has a Ruger LC9, as well as a Shield (in 9mm, I think) for his CCW. I'm pretty sure he is sticking with the Shield. I shot both, and I do like the feel of the Shield... and I have a Springfield XDm. I'm trying to remember why he went with the Shield over the Springfield... was the Springfield having some reliability issues? For some reason that is ringing a bell, but I don't honestly remember.

Springfield had a recall due to unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. I think this has been resolved though.

Settled on MP Shield 9mm.

Any experience with the Sig SSG 3000? Thinking of this for my first rifle purchase. Would just be for fun at the range.

We just got a new Centurian sniper rifle mannafactured in the good ole U.S. of A. by Nerf. Paid cash at Tarzhay, so no background check were necessary. In my neighborhood trespassers and Revenuers risk getting they eye shot out. BTW, what a loss with the recent passing of the AK-47 inventor.

We just got a new Centurian sniper rifle mannafactured in the good ole U.S. of A. by Nerf. Paid cash at Tarzhay, so no background check were necessary. In my neighborhood trespassers and Revenuers risk getting they eye shot out. BTW, what a loss with the recent passing of the AK-47 inventor.
You'll shoot your eye out!

hqdefault.jpg

The Nerf stuff my kids have is much cooler than what I had ...

Of course, I had a set of lawn darts, so there's that.

.308 is a good choice especially if you don't reload. Huge variety of ammo, and usually something is available. Even these days you can find the 168 or 175 gr Federal Gold Medal Match for $1/round or maybe a bit less if you're patient. Good out past 1000 yards (though maybe marginal past 800 with the 168 SMK bullets and/or the 18" barrel).

Just did some Googling about it, looks like a great rifle. It'll need a scope too. :)

.308 is a good choice especially if you don't reload. Huge variety of ammo, and usually something is available. Even these days you can find the 168 or 175 gr Federal Gold Medal Match for $1/round or maybe a bit less if you're patient. Good out past 1000 yards (though maybe marginal past 800 with the 168 SMK bullets and/or the 18" barrel).

Just did some Googling about it, looks like a great rifle. It'll need a scope too. :)

No clue on scopes. Someone said approximate rule for cost should be twice the cost of the rifle? What do you look for, certain companies?

Can't do a Glock. While it may seem silly want something with a safety mechanism if I will be carrying.

A quick opposing view on safeties..

When you need a CCW weapon for self defense, you need it right damn now and even fractions of a second can count. I prefer no safety on a combat weapon for that reason. My index finger is my safety.

i love glocks. wife let me buy a block 21 gen 4 for my xmas present. can't wait for it to get here.

my ccw is a kahr cm9 - the slide is a little stiff but that bugger shoots nice for a small gun.

.308 is a great choice - i hunt with a cz550 varmint in kevlar and the ammo is available and relatively cheap.

No clue on scopes. Someone said approximate rule for cost should be twice the cost of the rifle? What do you look for, certain companies?
Mid range scopes have really improved in the last 5-10 years. SWFA and Vortex are really good value. On the high end something from March, Kahles (Swarovski), US Optics, Nightforce. Gold standard is still the Schmidt & Bender PMII line for $3500 or so, though the gap between them and others has narrowed a lot.

Avoid hunting and BDC type reticles. Some variation of a mil dot reticle (mil = milliradian not military). I'd look for a first focal plane reticle and matching mil/mil reticle and turrets. So much more intuitive than second focal plane and mil reticle + MOA turret.

Any of these would be reasonable choices. (Links are just for general info, you can probably find better deals elsewhere.)

$1300 SWFA 5-25
$2200 Vortex Razor
$3050 Kahles 624i
$3600 S&B PMII

Also it's worth considering used. When it comes to high end scopes, it's pretty common for people to switch out to the latest and greatest. A lot of very lightly used scopes get sold to finance an upgrade, and the factory warranties usually transfer to the new owner.

I have one of the SWFA 5-25 atop an AR-10 and routinely shoot it out to 900 yards. When I miss it's not the scope's fault. But below that price point you're probably compromising more than that rifle deserves.

The difference between a good scope and a great scope is mostly apparent when lighting is marginal, early morning or dusk. There are a number of inexpensive scopes with nice glass these days, but their internals aren't always great, and if you're going to be shooting at range you need it to track correctly.

A .308 is going to have 400+ inches of drop at 1000 yards, so you'll need to dial in about 11 mils (40 or so MOA). Add a couple hundred bucks for good rings or a 1-piece mount ... will probably want 20 MOA of tilt built into the mount.

I prefer no safety on a combat weapon for that reason. My index finger is my safety.

I agree, a modern handgun in a good holster is safe, even with no safety and a round in the chamber. They don't fall out or accidentally go off. If you're going to Plaxico Burress your way through life, gun in sweatpant waistband style at the club, a manual safety would be prudent. :)

i love glocks. wife let me buy a block 21 gen 4 for my xmas present. can't wait for it to get here.

my ccw is a kahr cm9 - the slide is a little stiff but that bugger shoots nice for a small gun.

.308 is a great choice - i hunt with a cz550 varmint in kevlar and the ammo is available and relatively cheap.

I don't usually sweat selling guns, I don't normally subscribe to that whole "you'll regret every gun you sell"... But I do regret selling my PM9, a great little gun!

Well, it looks like I can join the 2nd amendment club now. My husband surprised me with the gift of a 9mm Glock today. First handgun.

The punch line: I've never even shot a handgun. He just thought I "needed it". I foresee many trips to the range in my future.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice. They tend to multiply, just to let you know. ;) I started out with a Ruger Mk III and somehow I now have 6 pistols and 5 long guns and a growing wish list....

Well, it looks like I can join the 2nd amendment club now. My husband surprised me with the gift of a 9mm Glock today. First handgun.

The punch line: I've never even shot a handgun. He just thought I "needed it". I foresee many trips to the range in my future.

that was my first as well. a great starter.

six and counting...

Nice. They tend to multiply, just to let you know. ;) I started out with a Ruger Mk III and somehow I now have 6 pistols and 5 long guns and a growing wish list....

After I get settled in to my anesthesia training, I would like to get into hunting. I can see myself getting some rifles and shotguns for that. My husband used to bird hunt, so he's got his own shotguns, but I'm more interested in larger game. The price of beef is getting ridiculous and I love wild game, and just being outside, even in the cold :).

Probably not a typical female past time, but it's something I always wanted to try. Not the real reason for 2nd amendment, but an excuse to increase the collection.

After I get settled in to my anesthesia training, I would like to get into hunting. I can see myself getting some rifles and shotguns for that. My husband used to bird hunt, so he's got his own shotguns, but I'm more interested in larger game. The price of beef is getting ridiculous and I love wild game, and just being outside, even in the cold :).

Probably not a typical female past time, but it's something I always wanted to try. Not the real reason for 2nd amendment, but an excuse to increase the collection.

i started hunting this last year for the first time - my wife and i haven't bought beef since i brought my deer home. it is an addictive pasttime - i'm already counting down the days till elk season...

Did you get your SBR and can out of ATF jail yet?

I have a SBR and can??? I totally forgot about them. :D

329 days since the ATF cashed the check for my can (4/10/13) and 175 since the check was cashed on my SBR (9/11/13) :yeahright:

443 days since the dealer ran my credit card on the SBR on 12/17/12. :yeahright::yeahright:

Definitely not for the impatient.

-bsd

Well, speak of the devil. Just got a call from my FFL. My first stamp (can) came in today. Will have to pick it up tomorrow and see how it does on my .308. Should get my SBR sometime mid-late summer.

- pod

Well, speak of the devil. Just got a call from my FFL. My first stamp (can) came in today. Will have to pick it up tomorrow and see how it does on my .308.
:) Nice

My stamps are all back, except for two Form 1s (SBR'ing AR lowers) still pending. They went in 10 or 11 months ago, I try not to look. Think I'm done getting stamps for a while. I can't make myself pay for a MG at today's prices, and I have cans for every caliber I shoot.

12989448423_83ab784311.jpg

It make bang,bang,bang go pew,pew,pew

Here it is mocked up on my POF 308. I didn't have the right wrench to torque the adaptor on last night so I can't shoot it just yet.

I won't be looking into the full auto arena either. I have played with slide-fire and auto, but the novelty wears off fast. I prefer stretching my legs to running and gunning anyway. The high end, custom/ semi-custom rifle market is approaching the low end of MG territory, but the MG stuff still doesn't appeal to me... well except for some of the historically interesting stuff.

Still waiting on stamps for my complete SBR and my Form 1 UZI.

Of course a royal tax screw up last year has kept me from buying much of anything for the last 12 months.

I will try to get some better pictures up at some point.

-pod

I have played with slide-fire and auto, but the novelty wears off fast. I prefer stretching my legs to running and gunning anyway.
Totally agree. If I could Form 1 a MG, I'd be all over it for the novelty.

I really enjoy distance shooting. The longer you have to wait to hear the clank after seeing the target move, the more satisfying it is. :)

Reactions: 1 users
It just dawned on me that I never shared my build from last year.

946269_635391929804865_1954188550_n.jpg

.204 Ruger. VLTOR VIS 3 upper, Noveske Gen2 lower with Geissele SSA trigger. Shilen match bull barrel and bolt. JP Enterprises adjustable gas block paired with JP Ent LMOS carrier and buffer. Magpul PRS stock. AADmount 20MOA scope mount with Bushnell XRS 4.5-30 x 50. Atlas bipod.

This is a HEAVY rifle with minimal recoil so it barely moves when fired.

1176233_654295397914518_1446126845_n.jpg

First attempt at 300 yards with this rifle after sighting in at 100 and dialing in the predicted elevation correction. 0.767 MOA. First two shots dead on with no wind. Third and fifth shot with a gentle quartering wind and no attempt at correction. Fourth shot I pulled high. 32 grain bullet at 4225 fps (advertised) and 40 grain at 3482 fps (advertised). I haven't run it over the chrony yet to see if I am getting those numbers, but suspect that I am as the predicted trajectories from those velocities are pretty close to what I am getting in real life.

This thing was awesome against pasture poodles last summer. I was wiping them out at 500 plus yards and had to take many breaks so that my buddy got a chance at shooting a few with his bolt action.

- pod

Last edited:
Nice rifle. What's the expected barrel life at 4225 fps? Will that get threaded for your new can?

Geissele makes awesome triggers. I didn't really believe the hype, bought one on a whim, and now I've got 4 of their SSAs and 1 SSA-E. One of these days I'll find a large pin model in stock for my Colt 6920 (stupid Colt and their nonstandard parts). Two of my AR10s have Armalite's 2-stage match trigger and they're nice, but not Geissele nice. The only trigger I like better is the one in my TRG-42.

AADmount just started making scope lens caps, which are getting really good reviews. I just broke another Butler Creek cap, and it's not like I'm abusive. Not sure if I can make myself drop $100 on a set of plastic flip caps though. I'm sort of afraid if I buy one set it'll be the Geissele phenomenon all over again and next thing I know I'll have a set on every scope in the safe.

I like the Atlas bipods too. I bought one 2-3 years ago, when they were only available direct, and they had a waiting list. I called to place my backorder with the guy, asked about military discounts, and he says words to the effect of whoa, I'll put you at the front of the list, we try hard to get them into the hands of operators fast, how soon are you deploying ... and I had to explain that no, I'm just a medical weenie who likes to play with this stuff, and they don't let me carry long guns overseas. :) It lives on my favorite AR10:
ar10.jpg

Nice AR. Is that the Surefire FA762 on the end?

Expected barrel life is a tricky subject. Is 300 yd MOA accuracy with one out of 10 flyers to 1.5 MOA acceptable or not? To some it is, for this project it's borderline. I need to hit prairie dogs at 500 plus, and I am proud that I was able to build something this accurate in my own little shop.

There are guys claiming 3000 rounds plus but they aren't quantifying their accuracy parameters. Pie plate at 100? MOA? It does appear to have better barrel life than .223 loaded with light varmint, high-velocity loads and significantly better life than 22-250 but not as good as the 20 tactical which is what I would have built if I could have found a barrel to chamber last summer (even though I hate the name). When I built this gun, barrels were as rare as 22 LR and I had to take what I could get.

Given the platform, barrel changes are a snap, but at $450 per barrel, I don't want to do it too often. I am primarily shooting the slower 40 grainers as my gun gets better accuracy and precision with them. Once I have a good stockpile of once-fired brass I will see if I can tune a 32 grain load. Right now I am just shooting the commercial loads. Given the higher BC of the 40, elevation and windage corrections are remarkably similar to the 32 and the terminal ballistics are identical between the two bullets. DRT at 500 and mist at 100. This summer I plan to try out the 55 grain Bergers although my 1 in 9 twist barrel may not stabilize them well at the altitudes at which I live and hunt pasture poodles, ~3000 feet.

I haven't given much thought to suppressing this rifle. Currently, field use of suppressors is prohibited in Montana thanks to an ill-informed but powerful group of ranchers and Fish and Game folks on the east side that think that suppressors will make it impossible to track poachers on the ranches over there. We got the bill through the legislature to allow them for hunting last year, but the Governor vetoed it. We will try again next year. If you read the regs carefully, the prohibition is specifically against hunting game. Prairie dogs do not fall under the legal classification of game in Montana. Still, I don't relish trying to explain this nuance to a warden with my expensive suppressor and future gun rights hanging in the balance.

I bought the AADmount for my POF 308 which I ultimately hope to have converted to 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore. The unit is phenomenally solid and holds zero when removed and replaced. Unfortunately, it sits much higher than I need for any of my scopes even before considering the built in 20 MOA cant. My Bushnell XRS has 50 MOA internal travel so the additional 20 is unnecessary. Even with the elevation bottomed out, I am 2" high at 100 yards and I am sure that this configuration isn't healthy for the erector. It definitely reduces the amount of windage that I can dial in. The PRS adjustable cheekpiece helps, but I am just trading one problem for another that is only slightly less troublesome. Ultimately, I may just leave the POF as a 308 and mount a Vortex Razor 1-6x 24 on it.

Love the Atlas. Can't see myself ever buying a different kind of bipod.

- pod

Nice AR. Is that the Surefire FA762 on the end?

Yes it is. Small, repeatable POI shift. I have the brake mount on the rifle ... living in a California I shoot it unsuppressed most of the time. It's a very effective brake, ie very loud, physically unpleasant to be on the line next to it. With the suppressor it's tamed to something akin to a 22. Not hearing safe, but far more pleasant. That was the first rifle suppressor I bought, and I went with the QD Surefire over direct thread since I wanted to be able to use it on other rifles in other calibers. Until I got a FA556-212 I was using it on 5.56 rifles too, and of course it goes on the 300 BLK. (Subs are fun in that, though I was kind of surprised how much action/ejection noise there still is.) There may be quieter cans than Surefires, but it's the best QD mount system. Supposedly the new SOCOM mounts are even better.

I hear you on barrel life being tricky, and dependent on what you expect out of it.

The scope on my 338 LM has 26 mil of elevation available, and with a 13 mil base (44 MOA) I can barely get it zeroed at 100 y. Only time I shoot it at 100 is for load workups, and you sure don't need any windage adjustment that close. I can dial in enough elevation to get to about 2000 y, and there's about 8 mil of useful holdover in the reticle to push that to 2300 y. My local range goes to 900 y, and I've been out to about 1200 y during some BLM desert trips, but that's it. Hoping to push out past a mile during my next AZ visit. My only gripe with the rifle is that I needed to add a spacer to the stock to get my head elevated properly behind the scope, and with the spacer installed the bolt can't be removed from the rifle. Hard to understand why Sako would design it that way. I've thought about putting their folding/adjustable stock on it, but like everything out of Finland, they're really really proud of them. KRG makes an aftermarket folder for only $900 or so, 1/3 what Sako wants, but still.

Been looking for a Sako P94S 22, but they don't get sold often. At this point I'm about to give up, maybe I'll get a Quad, at least they're available (and they come with factory threaded barrels).

Which stock configuration are you looking for? There was a nice hunter version that sold out of Kalispell about a month or so ago for way less than it was worth. $750 range if I recall. It seems the varmint version shows up most frequently. If you want the target version, your best bet is to grab whatever you can find to strip the action. Get an aftermarket stock and a Lilja barrel.

I have the hunter stocked p94s and I love it. Found a rail section for the forearm that allows me to attach my Atlas bipod. I did have to remove the rear sight to mount the scope though. When I pull it out for the summer I might try to post some pics.

I haven't played with any of the FA versions, but this SOCOM version works really nicely for removing and replacing. I put the mount on the POF last night after dark so can't shoot it until tomorrow. Supposedly the rockset needs 24 hours to cure before firing. If we aren't skiing all day tomorrow I will get out to the range.

- pod

Which stock configuration are you looking for? There was a nice hunter version that sold out of Kalispell about a month or so ago for way less than it was worth. $750 range if I recall.
Oh that just makes me sad. I've seen two P94S go through Gunbroker in the last 4-5 months, both well over $1000. One I almost jumped on, but its owner had done some weird modifications to it. I passed on the other.

Honestly I'm not that picky, just want a nice, accurate bolt 22lr. I've been so completely impressed by my TRG-42 that I think I want to try another Sako. If the barrel's not threaded I'll need to get it threaded, since this'll be a back yard gun when we move this summer. (Neighbors are far enough away that it's legal to shoot on my property, but not so far that I'll want to annoy them with gunfire.)

Looked at a couple in the Anshutz 64 line but it seems none of them have threaded barrels, and supposedly there's something about the way Anshutz barrels are made, that getting them cut down or even the muzzle threaded risks their accuracy.

I've thought about getting a CZ with an aftermarket barrel, maybe a Manners stock. But by the time that's all done we're getting close to the same price range.

There's a Quad with a threaded factory barrel in stock at Euro Optic for about $1100.

If we aren't skiing all day tomorrow I will get out to the range.

Rough life. :thumbup:

I forgot about this thread.

That 338 LM looks pretty. I wish I had the skill to actually use one.

I finally got my AAC M4-2000 about a month ago. I also got back 2 Form 1's. I'm going to try my hand and suppressor building on my home lathe.

BTW, e-file is wicked awesome. I got my 2 form 1's back in less than 4 months. They actually came in the week after my paper Form 4 and I filed them 7 months later.

Oh that just makes me sad. I've seen two P94S go through Gunbroker in the last 4-5 months, both well over $1000. One I almost jumped on, but its owner had done some weird modifications to it. I passed on the other.
Speak o' the devil, one was listed a few hours ago: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=399364749

$1000 start bid, $1400 buy-it-now. Plus another $200 or so to get it to & from ADCO for threading. Tempting.

I'm going to try my hand and suppressor building on my home lathe.

Someday I'd like to try that. Last time I touched a lathe was in 7th grade wood shop though. Be sure to post some pictures of what you make.

BTW, e-file is wicked awesome. I got my 2 form 1's back in less than 4 months. They actually came in the week after my paper Form 4 and I filed them 7 months later.

I've never understood why the whole process has to take any longer than a NICS check. Hooray for the ATF.

I saw that FrankenFinnfire this morning. If the mods are what you would do to it anyways then it is probably worth it. Otherwise...

EFile is already backing up just like the paper forms. Initially it was a lot faster, but that was a glitch due to the fact that it didn't have a backlog when it started. Right now it will probably save you a month or two at most.

-pod