Cell Biology or Microbiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinky911

Reaction score
I only have time to take one more biology class before my MCAT. I've taken Gen Bio I & II plus Genetics. Would you guys recommend Cell Biology or Microbiology in preparation for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT doesn’t have enough of either to make or break you.
Whatever you can get a better grade in.
Cell is memorisation for sure but has pathways etc that one can at least rationalise.
Micro is just pure memorisation... keep in mind that med school does have a separate Micro and Immuno class so perhaps having some background would help.

Reactions: 1 users
As a third possibility, what about neither? Both cell bio and micro are on the MCAT to some extent, but an upper-level course will almost certainly go into more detail than you need. Based on your question, I wasn't sure if you need to take a class in terms of credits, timing, etc., or if it would be more of an optional thing. Depending on your situation and MCAT timeline, it could make sense to take the time that you'd spend on an upper-level bio class and allocate it towards MCAT prep more generally.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a third possibility, what about neither? Both cell bio and micro are on the MCAT to some extent, but an upper-level course will almost certainly go into more detail than you need. Based on your question, I wasn't sure if you need to take a class in terms of credits, timing, etc., or if it would be more of an optional thing. Depending on your situation and MCAT timeline, it could make sense to take the time that you'd spend on an upper-level bio class and allocate it towards MCAT prep more generally.

Neither.... Neither is good

Reactions: 1 user
I only have time to take one more biology class before my MCAT. I've taken Gen Bio I & II plus Genetics. Would you guys recommend Cell Biology or Microbiology in preparation for the MCAT?

I didn't see much of either that would warrant an entire class. Take it if you're interested in it.

I have to take both classes eventually because of my degree track. It's just a matter of which one to take before the MCAT and which one to take after.

I have to take both classes eventually because of my degree track. It's just a matter of which one to take before the MCAT and which one to take after.

Go for cell bio then. If you can easily find out what your program's micro course is like, that might help in making the decision too. I've seen two types of micro courses: (1) those that focus intensely on classifications and clinical characteristics of different types of bacteria and viruses, and (2) those that focus more on the principles of how prokaryotes and viruses work. Type 1 is totally a waste of energy for MCAT prep, save it for med school. Type 2... :shrug:...that material would overlap a little more w/ the MCAT (content category 2B), but cell bio is a safer bet.

I would recommend Cell Bio. I found taking Cell Biology before the MCAT to be one of the best course decisions I have made.

Another class I have found very helpful for MCAT prep (I'm still studying), is Physiology.

Best of luck to you. :)

Reactions: 1 users