cGPA 3.25, sGPA 3.28, not a reapplicant- competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prestonomalley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm planning on eventually applying to medical school to be an MD. However, I think first I want to go to a post-bacc program (preferably in Southern California because that's where I live already).

My cGPA is 3.25 and my sGPA is 3.28. The lowest grade I've received is a C+. About four of my pre-reqs and UD grades were C+'s and the rest were A's and B's.

What are my chances of getting into UCSD, UCI, UCLA, UCR, and USC for post-bacc?
Since I'm not a reapplicant, I haven't taken my MCAT. I'm nearly positive all of these schools allow first-time applicants to apply without an MCAT or GRE score.
Another factor to keep in mind is that I'm not really considered a minority or economically underprivileged.

I had moments in my undergrad where I struggled trying to balance all my internships, research, and volunteer work while taking about 16 units on the quarter system. I also needed to slow down with my classes because I had to treat an injury.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not ever going to a Cali med school with those grades - post bac or not

Probably not ever going to a Cali med school with those grades - post bac or not
Really? You don't think a good MCAT and decent post bacc gpa would get him/her into a Cali med school? Even a DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
With those grades you're 2-3 years away from being competitive for UC's, assuming you study full time. You might get into a postbac, but don't get confused about your chances on the other side. Read a ton of posts in this subforum and plan it out by following best practices for GPA redemption.

Classic rookie mistake around here is to get excited about a postbac or SMP acceptance without an understanding of the real odds on the other side. Yes, people get into med school from where you are, or much worse, but it's because they're the grownup in charge of their options and choices.

Best of luck to you.

With those grades you're 2-3 years away from being competitive for UC's, assuming you study full time. You might get into a postbac, but don't get confused about your chances on the other side. Read a ton of posts in this subforum and plan it out by following best practices for GPA redemption.

Classic rookie mistake around here is to get excited about a postbac or SMP acceptance without an understanding of the real odds on the other side. Yes, people get into med school from where you are, or much worse, but it's because they're the grownup in charge of their options and choices.

Best of luck to you.

I'm not aware of any other significant ways to raise your GPA other than post-bacc and SMPs. I wouldn't want to retake a class because the med school app would just average the two grades. Plus, my college only allows you to take a class again if you have a C or lower.

What else should I be thinking about other than postbacc and SMPs?

Last edited:
My question was more about getting into Cali post-bacc programs
I know it was, but when your end goal is a long shot, then the plan to achieve it probably isn't good either.

Cali has the hardest med schools to get into as a state (the states averages for GPA and MCAT are higher than the national average). and you are a sub-par applicant, with whom one year of post bacs classes may raise your cGPA 0.1-0.2 (i encourage u to do the math). This still puts you subpar. Hence why its worth pointing out that you would still have bad odds at a Cali med school even after a year of post bac.

So, you should start thinking about leaving Cali if you want med school anytime soon. With a good MCAT, you could theoretically get into a good SMP now, and potentially start med school in Fall 2015. Granted thats if all your ducks line up perfectly, but you'd be in great shape for Fall 2016 admission either way. As Midlife pointed out, you are 2-3 years away from being competitive with your current plan for a Cali med school, which would put you at Fall 2017 with still having poor odds.

I'm not aware of any other significant ways to raise your GPA other than post-bacc and SMPs.
Yes, I'm trying to point out that you may need both, and you need to educate yourself on other choices. Look at ways to accumulate a substantial multi-year med-school-worthy academic performance. Look at 2nd bachelors, Berkeley Extension, maybe traditional grad work, etc.
I wouldn't want to retake a class because the med school app would just average the two grades.
How is that a bad thing? Sure, DO gives you a better deal, but an A is an A is an A for MD schools. If retakes will help your academic preparedness for med school, then retakes are prudent.
Plus, my college only allows you to take a class again if you have a C or lower.
There are other schools.

Step up.

I know it was, but when your end goal is a long shot, then the plan to achieve it probably isn't good either.

Cali has the hardest med schools to get into as a state (the states averages for GPA and MCAT are higher than the national average). and you are a sub-par applicant, with whom one year of post bacs classes may raise your cGPA 0.1-0.2 (i encourage u to do the math). This still puts you subpar. Hence why its worth pointing out that you would still have bad odds at a Cali med school even after a year of post bac.

So, you should start thinking about leaving Cali if you want med school anytime soon. With a good MCAT, you could theoretically get into a good SMP now, and potentially start med school in Fall 2015. Granted thats if all your ducks line up perfectly, but you'd be in great shape for Fall 2016 admission either way. As Midlife pointed out, you are 2-3 years away from being competitive with your current plan for a Cali med school, which would put you at Fall 2017 with still having poor odds.

Thanks for the explanation. I know Cali is hard to get into for med school, and I've been preparing to leave for med school. I just was hoping to at least stay here for postbacc and not need to leave so soon if that makes any sense.

I actually still have several classes in my undergrad left so those may help boost me a little bit. I'm having a hard time deciphering if med schools prefer postbacc or an SMP.

Yes, I'm trying to point out that you may need both, and you need to educate yourself on other choices. Look at ways to accumulate a substantial multi-year med-school-worthy academic performance. Look at 2nd bachelors, Berkeley Extension, maybe traditional grad work, etc.

How is that a bad thing? Sure, DO gives you a better deal, but an A is an A is an A for MD schools. If retakes will help your academic preparedness for med school, then retakes are prudent.

There are other schools.

Step up.

You've given me a lot to think about and consider. Thank you.

Is it safe to say that my chances of getting into a post bacc or SMP would be higher if I take the GRE or MCAT before? I wouldn't be starting the program until summer or fall of 2015.

Again, look at your plan to get into med school, not just to get into a "program". If you take the MCAT "to get into a program" but you need multiple years before you can apply to med school, then your MCAT will expire. That would not be good planning. In addition, with your GPA, you may find you don't yet have the content mastered well enough to do well on the MCAT.

Since you haven't yet graduated you can consider adding a major or minor to get more classes. This is by far the cheapest and most efficient way to go. If your current school won't support this, look at other schools.

I suggest that for every post you make in SDN, you should read well over over 100 posts by those who have been in your exact situation. The low GPA thread here in postbac is a goldmine, and you'd benefit from the cautionary tales in the reapplicant forum.

By the way, with GPA damage, every grade you get that isn't an A is a step away from med school. As you're considering your options, don't shirk on fixing your academic shortcomings.

Best of luck to you.

Again, look at your plan to get into med school, not just to get into a "program". If you take the MCAT "to get into a program" but you need multiple years before you can apply to med school, then your MCAT will expire. That would not be good planning. In addition, with your GPA, you may find you don't yet have the content mastered well enough to do well on the MCAT.

Since you haven't yet graduated you can consider adding a major or minor to get more classes. This is by far the cheapest and most efficient way to go. If your current school won't support this, look at other schools.

I suggest that for every post you make in SDN, you should read well over over 100 posts by those who have been in your exact situation. The low GPA thread here in postbac is a goldmine, and you'd benefit from the cautionary tales in the reapplicant forum.

By the way, with GPA damage, every grade you get that isn't an A is a step away from med school. As you're considering your options, don't shirk on fixing your academic shortcomings.

Best of luck to you.

I think I've decided to work my tail off for my last year in undergrad (obviously), take my MCAT next January and apply to an SMP. Then begin my med school app the summer before I begin my SMP (granted I get into an SMP and to prevent the chances of my MCAT expiring). Hopefully, I will be able to raise my GPA to a 3.3+ next year.
Thanks for all the advice.

Hello

I'm planning on eventually applying to medical school to be an MD. However, I think first I want to go to a post-bacc program (preferably in Southern California because that's where I live already).

My cGPA is 3.25 and my sGPA is 3.28. The lowest grade I've received is a C+. About four of my pre-reqs and UD grades were C+'s and the rest were A's and B's.

What are my chances of getting into UCSD, UCI, UCLA, UCR, and USC for post-bacc?
Since I'm not a reapplicant, I haven't taken my MCAT. I'm nearly positive all of these schools allow first-time applicants to apply without an MCAT or GRE score.
Another factor to keep in mind is that I'm not really considered a minority or economically underprivileged.

I had moments in my undergrad where I struggled trying to balance all my internships, research, and volunteer work while taking about 16 units on the quarter system. I also needed to slow down with my classes because I had to treat an injury.

Thanks in advance for all your input!
I disagree with what everyone is telling you! I got into a UC postbacc with worse stats than you! Also, you have to be a reapplicant in order to apply to a UCLA postbacc. You could get into a UC postbacc no problem. I encourage you to apply!

The average GPA from the UC postbacc I attended was probably around a 3.o...I had a 2.98. A few had a 3.0 and one had a 3.2.