cGPA 3.70, sGPA 3.67, MCAT 40, school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scribblers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I am planning on applying this cycle, but have been looking for some advice on schools to apply to due to my slightly imbalanced GPA/MCAT.

Here are the details:

Year: senior, graduating this spring (BS Biochemistry) and taking a gap year while applying
GPA: 3.70 cumulative, 3.67 science - if things continue as they have so far this semester, these will be around 3.73/3.7 respectively by application time
Academic Honors: university scholarship (~50% tuition), university honors program
MCAT: 40
ECs:
The majority of these were started in the last 18 months as I realized relatively late that I wanted to pursue medicine.
  • 2 summers of research in a developmental biology lab (400 hours), no publications or presentations (PI retired after my second summer)
  • ~4 months of a hybrid market/product development research opportunity (400 hours) through a partnership between my university and Mayo Clinic. This ultimately resulted in an actionable plan for taking a product currently under development at Mayo Clinic to market.
  • 2 years working in the campus television studio (1000 hours). This was primarily to take advantage of work-study funds, but I did ultimately get to film some really cool things and meet some interesting people.
  • 1 year working as an emergency department scribe (900 hours). I will continue working at this position during the next year, and just learned that I will be training new hires starting in a few weeks.
  • 1 year non-medical volunteering at an HIV/AIDS foundation (125 hours). This primarily involved directing clients to and through the services our organization provides.
  • 1 year volunteering at in an upper-level preschool classroom (4-5 year olds) (250 hours)
  • 1 year volunteering in a surgery waiting room (115 hours)
  • 1 year senator for student government (100 hours). Voted on fund allocations for student organizations and was involved in several year-long initiatives.
  • 1 year honors program leadership position (100 hours).
  • 1 semester Gen Chem learning group leader (90 hours). My main job was to provide structure for the students to study with each other, but I was available as a teaching resource if needed.
In addition, I am currently applying for several clinical research internships in the area that I would continue throughout my gap year. If I don't get those, I will be pursuing work with individual PIs at a nearby large academic institution. Most of my volunteer activities will continue through my gap year, and I am looking to get involved with meals on wheels-type organization focusing on people living with HIV/AIDS.

My school list has waffled between lower-ranked schools to higher-ranked ones. I've been feeling optimistic lately, so it is top heavy at this point and I do not know if this is the way to go.
Minnesota (in-state)
Michigan
Virginia
Emory
NYU
SLU
Pitt
Dartmouth
Case (UP)
Stanford
Northwestern
Yale
Harvard
Duke
Mt. Sinai
Cornell

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks, I am planning on applying this cycle, but have been looking for some advice on schools to apply to due to my slightly imbalanced GPA/MCAT.

Here are the details:

Year: senior, graduating this spring (BS Biochemistry) and taking a gap year while applying
GPA: 3.70 cumulative, 3.67 science - if things continue as they have so far this semester, these will be around 3.73/3.7 respectively by application time
Academic Honors: university scholarship (~50% tuition), university honors program
MCAT: 40
ECs:
The majority of these were started in the last 18 months as I realized relatively late that I wanted to pursue medicine.
  • 2 summers of research in a developmental biology lab (400 hours), no publications or presentations (PI retired after my second summer)
  • ~4 months of a hybrid market/product development research opportunity (400 hours) through a partnership between my university and Mayo Clinic. This ultimately resulted in an actionable plan for taking a product currently under development at Mayo Clinic to market.
  • 2 years working in the campus television studio (1000 hours). This was primarily to take advantage of work-study funds, but I did ultimately get to film some really cool things and meet some interesting people.
  • 1 year working as an emergency department scribe (900 hours). I will continue working at this position during the next year, and just learned that I will be training new hires starting in a few weeks.
  • 1 year non-medical volunteering at an HIV/AIDS foundation (125 hours). This primarily involved directing clients to and through the services our organization provides.
  • 1 year volunteering at in an upper-level preschool classroom (4-5 year olds) (250 hours)
  • 1 year volunteering in a surgery waiting room (115 hours)
  • 1 year senator for student government (100 hours). Voted on fund allocations for student organizations and was involved in several year-long initiatives.
  • 1 year honors program leadership position (100 hours).
  • 1 semester Gen Chem learning group leader (90 hours). My main job was to provide structure for the students to study with each other, but I was available as a teaching resource if needed.
In addition, I am currently applying for several clinical research internships in the area that I would continue throughout my gap year. If I don't get those, I will be pursuing work with individual PIs at a nearby large academic institution. Most of my volunteer activities will continue through my gap year, and I am looking to get involved with meals on wheels-type organization focusing on people living with HIV/AIDS.

My school list has waffled between lower-ranked schools to higher-ranked ones. I've been feeling optimistic lately, so it is top heavy at this point and I do not know if this is the way to go.
Minnesota (in-state)
Michigan
Virginia
Emory
NYU
SLU
Pitt
Dartmouth
Case (UP)
Stanford
Northwestern
Yale
Harvard
Duke
Mt. Sinai
Cornell

Awesome app. Weak points are lack of publications and an average GPA (honestly, though, I don't think a 3.7 holds you back anywhere -- don't worry about that). Everything else is amazing. Aim high and expect high, IMO.

Heed the guidance of faculty members who post on these forums (including Catalystik, Goro, LizzyM, gyngyn, among others...).

Take advantage of the resources that SDN offers: Personal Statement Reader List and Applicant Toolkit (although there will be a new one for your cycle, 2014-2015).

Nothing wrong with aiming high! How about Mayo, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Chicago, Wash U, Pitt, USC, or JHU?

Michigan
Virginia
Emory
NYU
SLU
Pitt
Dartmouth
Case (UP)
Stanford
Northwestern
Yale
Harvard
Duke
Mt. Sinai
Cornell[/quote]

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with aiming high! How about Mayo, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Chicago, Wash U, Pitt, USC, or JHU?

Thanks for the encouragement Goro! Are you suggesting adding some of those schools in addition to my current list?

I'd add Baylor. Lots of HIV out here in Houston. One of the attendings is one of the authors on the first paper on HIV. Also UCSD has a great HIV program I hear

I'd add Baylor. Lots of HIV out here in Houston. One of the attendings is one of the authors on the first paper on HIV. Also UCSD has a great HIV program I hear
Do you have any more information on Baylor's HIV/AIDS research opportunities? This is something I am interested in getting more involved in, and it would definitely move Baylor up on the list.

@Scribbers : could you share where you received interviews and where you were accepted?