Chain salary survey for new pharmacists..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Standard RN salary in my area is $24-26/hour depending on skillset and prior experience.

Add in the $3/hour nightshift diff, $5/hour weekend shift diff, and $300 bonus to picking up a 4th shift WHILE getting time 1.5x.... and they are making a $60-70k when it is all said and done if you work certain shifts and pick up a little here and there.
I agree that nurses do pick up extra money if they work weekends and nights if their original job is day shift.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In California, I know nurses that make close to $200,000 after a years at the hospital.
Yeah, California is the exception. They pay nurses more than pharmacists. You know I was thinking if new grads can’t become pharmacists, grad interns, or Pharm techs. Then I would opt to be a nurse tech

Doesn’t matter.. You have to pay me well over that if I am dealing with puke/ poop or blood..

Members don't see this ad :)
RNs can easily make over $30 an hour. I have one in family in southeast. In fact that’s the normal salary. Haven’t heard of any RN making less than $30..
I was talking to some of the RN's I work with, and new grads were making upper 20's per hour. I was shocked, I thought it was higher for all the crap they deal with (and this is mid-sized city, top rated hospital)

I respect the hell out of nurses and doctors. But I could never do their job. Apart from dealing with bodily fluids, you have to sometimes deal with people with extremely poor hygiene. These people show up at the pharmacy once in a while and I can’t stand them even for brief seconds of counseling. Now imagine them getting naked and having to physically examine them one-on-one!

F- that..

Reactions: 1 users
experienced PIC going from one chain to another, offered $64 at the beginning of this year. offer was declined

Yeah, California is the exception. They pay nurses more than pharmacists. You know I was thinking if new grads can’t become pharmacists, grad interns, or Pharm techs. Then I would opt to be a nurse tech

Not just CA. Nurses easily get overtime, evening differential, weekend differential, hazard pay. If you're a travel nurse, your airfare and rent/mortgage are free.

Not just CA. Nurses easily get overtime, evening differential, weekend differential, hazard pay. If you're a travel nurse, your airfare and rent/mortgage are free.
I am talking about general salary, not extra income. Did hospital pharmacists and LTC pharmacists used to get evening differential? Was that a thing of the past for hospital pharmacist?

Shift differentials for hospital pharmacists is the norm. If anything, it's rare that they aren't offered. I would say a good number (maybe half? not sure) of hospitals offer overtime too if shifts are available.

When I left retail pharmacy for industry 15 years ago, I was at 49/hr at 42 hours a week. I don't remember my bonus rate but it wasn't much...maybe 5k annually. 3 weeks vacation.

I'm in the mid-atlantic region (NYC metropolitan).

Edit: Removed my current numbers as I noticed the OP requested just chains.

Last edited:
Is hospital affected? Or is it still sunshine and roses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got offered, and accepted, FT floater position, $67/hr, southern CA/central coast. Not a new grad though.

Just got offered, and accepted, FT floater position, $67/hr, southern CA/central coast. Not a new grad though.
My friend who got laid off, got rehired back recently at the same rate he got laid off at $68 in SD.

So, it appears if you are new grads you get sh1t money $45-55/hr. They will match old rate/competitor rate if you have some experience.

My friend who got laid off, got rehired back recently at the same rate he got laid off at $68 in SD.

That’s odd… Was it by the same company? Or a different one?

So, it appears if you are new grads you get sh1t money $45-55/hr. They will match old rate/competitor rate if you have some experience.
You are right about 45 to 55. For new grads.

I heard same with pharmacist who graduated back in 2017, she was hired last year but got 2017 rate.

The people who hire pharmacists aren’t stupid. I’m sure they recognize the difference between someone who got into pharmacy school when it was competitive vs. someone who got in with their PCAT waived. I feel bad for the competent new grads who now have to prove themselves against their less qualified peers. And for the talent seekers, looking for the hidden gems, wasting their time interviewing people who shouldn’t have been accepting into pharmacy school in the first place. Might as well cut to the chase and make asking for their NAPLEX scores a normal thing and base their pay off of that.

The chains don't care about your GPA or NAPLEX score. They just want whoever can verify the most scrips per hour.

So bfe cali is no longer 68? It is 63 now?