Chairman Letter: Make or break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbunny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So- I have seen this question asked in the past in other fields, but it hasn't been addressed in OBGYN.

Next week I will be submitting my application without a 'Chairman' letter. My clerkship director and advisor never mentioned that I needed an OBGYN Chairman letter for applications. I've only seen the requirement since I started looking at specifics for each program about a week ago.
Only around 10 programs that I am interested in mention it on their website... one of them is my *dream* program. ☹️
Is there even any point to applying somewhere that requires one of these letters if I don't have one in my file? I have a letter from a residency PD, but it doesn't get same the little yellow mark that Chairmans' letters get on ERAS...
#missedtheboat

Members don't see this ad.

So- I have seen this question asked in the past in other fields, but it hasn't been addressed in OBGYN.

Next week I will be submitting my application without a 'Chairman' letter. My clerkship director and advisor never mentioned that I needed an OBGYN Chairman letter for applications. I've only seen the requirement since I started looking at specifics for each program about a week ago.
Only around 10 programs that I am interested in mention it on their website... one of them is my *dream* program. ☹️
Is there even any point to applying somewhere that requires one of these letters if I don't have one in my file? I have a letter from a residency PD, but it doesn't get same the little yellow mark that Chairmans' letters get on ERAS...
#missedtheboat

Without a chairman letter I don't think programs will see your application as "complete" before they review it (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that being said it's not too late to get one, most chairman letters are pretty standard and probably just require a short meeting since they most likely use a template. I don't think the quality of that letter will make or break your application it's more like a requirement similar to uploading your board scores, at least in my experience. So if your dream program requires it, email your chairman now and ask for a letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Without a chairman letter I don't think programs will see your application as "complete" before they review it (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that being said it's not too late to get one, most chairman letters are pretty standard and probably just require a short meeting since they most likely use a template. I don't think the quality of that letter will make or break your application it's more like a requirement similar to uploading your board scores, at least in my experience. So if your dream program requires it, email your chairman now and ask for a letter.

Thanks for the response!

If a program requires a Chair letter, then you need to submit one. Your Chair may wonder why you are asking for this at such a late date.

Reactions: 1 user