Challenging compounding exam score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apothecarist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever suceeded in challenging their compounding exam score? I failed by 1 point ( How hard is it to fight for your grade? Any pointers for when I go to challenge this grade? Any help will be appreciated !!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever suceeded in challenging their compounding exam score? I failed by 1 point ( How hard is it to fight for your grade? Any pointers for when I go to challenge this grade? Any help will be appreciated !!

I take it you're from New York? There's only a small handful of states that still have such an exam...

i got a 74, challenged everything possible, then they gave me a point back. phew!

I missed by 4 points...hoping I can get those back...
I dunno if I've heard wrong, but I heard quite a bit of people failed the compounding from this June...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I'm from NY. I'm a little skeptic that a lot of ppl failed b/c if you log on facebook it sounds like alot of ppl passed. I'm happy for them, but sad for myself. Darn it !!! one point !!
I heard that june compounding is generally harder than spring, is that true?

Last edited:
What is this compounding test are you guys talking about? Is this the extra test for the state of NY?

I heard that june compounding is generally harder than spring, is that true?
I can't say for certain, but I think this is true. I went to a review class before the June exam, and we were given copies of the exams for the past 5 years....and the January exams always looked/seemed easier that the June ones.

Yes in NY, we take NAPLEX, MPJE, and COMPOUNDING (WET LAB). Basically, compounding is hands-on, answering qs, calculations and make IV, ointment, suspension, and/or capsules with the preceptors looking on. Problem with this exam is if one fails compounding portion, must wait for 6 mos to retake the exam.

Last edited:
I can't say for certain, but I think this is true. I went to a review class before the June exam, and we were given copies of the exams for the past 5 years....and the January exams always looked/seemed easier that the June ones.

Hi! I was wondering if you still had those copis of the exams that they gave you...if so, would you mind e-mailing or sending them to me??? im preparing to take the NYS wet lab in Jan and am a bit nervous about it.

Please can you send me a copy of the exam or a web address that I can access the information as to what is on the NYS Wet lab. I am finishing my compounding rotation and would like to be sure I have covered anything necessary to prepare me for this test. I am NOT in a NYS school and am thinking of a residency in NYS and would therefore need to pass this test. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi! I was wondering if you still had those copis of the exams that they gave you...if so, would you mind e-mailing or sending them to me??? im preparing to take the NYS wet lab in Jan and am a bit nervous about it.

You can order the review books here: http://pharmacyboardreview.com/, even if you don't sign up for the formal review. I recommend attending the review, though...the instructor gives lots of tips n' tricks you won't get from the books. There are about 10 little books on various topics, several books of just math practice, and many old exams.

Here is another thread that may be useful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=529830

Were you able to challenge your point? I also failed by a point and wanted to know if yyou have any pointers on how to challenge it?

Yes in NY, we take NAPLEX, MPJE, and COMPOUNDING (WET LAB). Basically, compounding is hands-on, answering qs, calculations and make IV, ointment, suspension, and/or capsules with the preceptors looking on. Problem with this exam is if one fails compounding portion, must wait for 6 mos to retake the exam.

jeez...that sucks big time since you won't be able to get ur license for another 6 months...also mean no work for 6 months? that's real bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
when is the review session for the exam, does anyone know yet? hope you get that point!

hi, i was wondering, have you ever gotten that 1 point after challenging your score?

i got a 74, challenged everything possible, then they gave me a point back. phew!

hello, i had a question, what kind of things did you challenge on the exam? what did they decide to give you back points on?

i also failed by 1 point

Hey,
Did you manage to get those points. The same thing happen to me...would really love some hope.

Thanks

I have a 5 points deficit. What kind of challenges did u go after? I would appreciate any suggestions, success stories...Thank you

I went after as much as i can because i personally don't think it'll hurt but i'm pretty sure i gained back points from calculations in the compounding part. They marked me wrong but it was a mistake on their part.

I guess it depends really. If you plan on challenging, i would go through everything you did wrong and any comments and decide what to challenge. Did you think you were a strong lab person in regards to calculations? There may be a chance that they did something wrong. Do you recall anything from the exam because you can bring in bound notes to use for challenges.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your tips. I think I did pretty well in the lab part. My answers matched with other friends. However, I think I messed up on part I mostly. The errors and omission and patient profiles might have been my downfall.

I have been reaching out to faculty to help me. They have been very encouraging. Don't loose hope, I feel your pain..with a 5 point deficit I am really depressed myself.

I drove 6 hours while on rotation to try to fight my point back. Think about it this way, if you don't try, you won't even have a chance of getting any points back. Aren't you curious to what you miss? Atleast you'll find out what you miss and get a chance to fight your score.

DEFINITELY challenge your score if you failed by 1 or 2, maybe even 3 points. I failed by 1 point in January and was extremely discouraged and depressed for weeks. I went into my review with a very positive attitude and I only argued one question and was able to convince them for a point back. They encourage you not to argue that many questions on your review, so if you're going to argue, just make sure it's for something that you really think you deserve a point or two back for. As for copies of the exam, if you discuss answers to any of the questions on the exam after your review and I'm assuming after the actual exam itself, you can get in a lot of trouble for it and they can actually prevent you from sitting for the exam again for a certain amount of time, so just be careful. Send me a PM if you are looking for more advice as I know how discouraging it can be to be in this position, but some of you will definitely succeed at arguing your point back! Also for the record, I rocked my NAPLEX and MPJE, so just because you did not pass this exam does not mean that you are not capable of being an AMAZING pharmacist. Just have some faith and it will be ok. :)

I failed by two points, what is the probability that i can attain those points back? Anyone who has any experience with this please reply back

I went after as much as i can because i personally don't think it'll hurt but i'm pretty sure i gained back points from calculations in the compounding part. They marked me wrong but it was a mistake on their part.

I guess it depends really. If you plan on challenging, i would go through everything you did wrong and any comments and decide what to challenge. Did you think you were a strong lab person in regards to calculations? There may be a chance that they did something wrong. Do you recall anything from the exam because you can bring in bound notes to use for challenges.

thank you for some information. I've been really upset cuz i missed passing by 3 points as well. do you think arguing a lot of question is good vs bad? and can you specify on what kind of bound notes you can bring in? Thank you so much!!

I personally argued as much as i can that is reasonable that has a fighting chance. You can't argue something like brand/generic but something that can cause a single doubt on it. NYS states to not argue alot of questions because its implying they aren't doing their job and that its not possible for them to make that many mistakes you know? its up to you.Any bound notes, like in a binder or a book. I saw some bring in rxprep or any other review book. I brought in my school compounding notes in a binder, lexicomp. didn't really use it. I would mark down anything you remember making wrong and think u can get the point back. Tag it or write it on a sheet and shove it in a binder. No loose leaf paper, so it has to be in a binder. Good luck, feel free to ask more questions