Chance at Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYorkDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have a chance at Dartmouth with 3.5 gpa, 1400 gre, and 3 years experience in a non-profit?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I graduated from Dartmouth's MPH program in 2007. I don't think they actually reject anybody, so I wouldn't worry about it. What I would do is really make sure you want to go to Dartmouth - I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

why wouldn't you recommend? is it a useful degree from Dartmouth. Is it unorganized, difficult?

Members don't see this ad :)
why wouldn't you recommend? is it a useful degree from Dartmouth. Is it unorganized, difficult?

Unorganized - definitely. Difficult? Hardly.

Is it useful? Depends what you want to do. If you want to pursue a traditional public health career, then probably not. If you want to devote your life to research, maybe, but I'd recommend the MS program instead of the MPH program.

Unorganized - definitely. Difficult? Hardly.

Is it useful? Depends what you want to do. If you want to pursue a traditional public health career, then probably not. If you want to devote your life to research, maybe, but I'd recommend the MS program instead of the MPH program.

hi, i was wondering if you could tel me about the programs courses. are they not at the main campus. i hear its at the institute. if so, how far is it really from the grad student housing on darts ug campus to the institute. will i need a car?? thanks, im applying and am from cali, so im pretty sure i wont be able to get around by bike i assume. thanks in advance. if anyone else has an answer, feel free to chime in!

hi, i was wondering if you could tel me about the programs courses. are they not at the main campus. i hear its at the institute. if so, how far is it really from the grad student housing on darts ug campus to the institute. will i need a car?? thanks, im applying and am from cali, so im pretty sure i wont be able to get around by bike i assume. thanks in advance. if anyone else has an answer, feel free to chime in!

Well, things are different this year (I went there for the 06-07 school year). When I went, it was on campus, right across the street from some of the grad student housing. Now it has moved to being near Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, which is a few miles from campus (and grad housing). You could probably do without a car, as there are buses and shuttles and biking (in warmer months), but it would be difficult. Dartmouth is very isolated.

In terms of the courses - again, things have changed. It used to be three trimesters, now it is four quarters...I think. I'm not even sure. The intro courses are alright...biostats/epidemiology is great, as is the sort of general intro to health care stuff. The intro to public health course was an utter disaster (amongst the worst courses I have ever taken), as was the environmental health course, and the Microsystems course was alright, but didn't appeal to me in the least. After that, the program pretty much consisted of electives. Those again were hit or miss. My policy and economics courses were amazing. The other stuff I took also disappointed me.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I need to get ready for work.

KelbornCmd, if I may, I would like to give my take on the improved Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice.

TDI is actually a fairly competitive program to get into, with a significant percentage of students getting rejections and others (in the 2007-2008 class) gaining acceptance off of the wait list. The reason for this is that a number of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center residents choose to pursue an additionally residency in public health, which includes the entire Orthopedic Surgery department, who are required to get their MPH, as well as a number of primary care physicians. Over half of the class already has, or is in the process of obtaining, a professional degree (MD, DDS, DO, RN, etc.) I have several friends who applied and were rejected.

Having gone through the new program, I can say that the curriculum is now incredibly organized and thoroughly prepares you for a career in public health, be it with the government, in a hospital, community outreach programs, research or to become a more well-rounded health care provider.

The thing is, you don't enter a MPH program for the classes, so much as the experience you gain from your internships and from networking with other health care professionals. This means that the program is what you make it.

Dartmouth is a wonderful place with tons to do (especially if you like the outdoors/drinking). Also, it isn't that isolated, being 2 hours from Boston, 1 hour from Manchester, 3 hours from Montreal, and 4 hours from NYC. It's easy to get away for the weekend.

One thing I would caution you about: Dartmouth is not the place to go if you're interested in international public health. The main focus is on the American health care system, which is excellent if you're a healthcare provider practicing in the United States. Also, I've heard through the grapevine that they're considering switching the program to a 2-year degree. I've also heard that they are relocating the classrooms to the C. Everett Koop wing of DHMC (the teaching hospital), as many of our projects involve working closely with hospital staff and patients. This should be an excellent facility.

It's a decent program, you get out what you put into it. It's also pretty good at getting students into medical school afterwards. The program is young, but it's under good leadership with excellent faculty. I have no doubt in my mind that within the decade Dartmouth will be regarded as the preeminent public health program in America. Hope this helps.

Aaron, that you?

2007 Dartmouth MPH'er here. Loved it. Definitely worthwhile.

Any one have thoughts on Dartmouth's MS program? Descriptions on their website seemed a little vague. Seemed focused on improving the field health care, would it be useful for someone interested in clinical research?

Also, anyone applying to the program while applying to med schools?

Absolutely. Outcomes research is one of Dartmouth's specialities.

For more info, pubmed:

Welch HG
Fisher ES
Goodman DC
Weeks WB

...and many others.

Top notch faculty.

Agreed. If you go to Dartmouth for an MS you'll be dreaming about nested case-control studies and have the cochrane collaborative website as your home page :D

Any one have thoughts on Dartmouth's MS program? Descriptions on their website seemed a little vague. Seemed focused on improving the field health care, would it be useful for someone interested in clinical research?

Also, anyone applying to the program while applying to med schools?

I applied to the MS and will be starting my med school apps in the summer. Did you apply to Dartmouth already?

Has anyone applied and heard back yet? I was complete in Nov and no news. I called last week and they said it was currently being reviewed by the admissions committee.

Thanks for the info mlw47 and ingemar!

Leejwwc, I haven't applied to Dartmouth yet, in the middle of med school apps now, on a few MD waitlists and trying to keep options open for the future. I guess since their MPH and MS admissions are rolling I'd better decide soon though.

R1krazy - I guess we are in the same boat, I was complete in mid-Dec. and also have not heart back yet. Called, and they said it was under review.

I just heard from Dartmouth today that I got the admission. However, according to the previous discussion here, I am not sure that as a foreigner whether Dartmouth is suitable for me. If my plan is to get a position in consulting company after my graduation, could anyone kindly help me to point out the strength and weakness of this program at Dartmouth?
Sincerely thx!

Major consulting firms give presentations and recruit from the Public Health Program. Also, Dartmouth holds a campus-wide "Corporate Recruiting" session where hundreds of employers come to campus and interview and hire students for post-graduation, many in consulting. Dartmouth's positive name recognition and strong alumni base make it a smart school to attend if you're looking to enter the corporate world. Plus you get there a year earlier.

Question for all the folks who have gone through or are currently in Dartmouth's program (MS or MPH), how is the daily schedule? I'm planning on taking the MCAT some time during the same year, does that seem feasible, or does the one year program make things super busy?

On the student resources webpage for dartmouth they have the student packet and schedule to download. I have attached the schedule.

Attached you will find the 2007 schedule, it has the times of the classes for the 2007-08 year.

good luck

Attachments

• Academic_Calendar_2007-08-1.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 130
Question for all the folks who have gone through or are currently in Dartmouth's program (MS or MPH), how is the daily schedule? I'm planning on taking the MCAT some time during the same year, does that seem feasible, or does the one year program make things super busy?

During the first term, you generally have classes for about 8 hours a day, M-F, and homework afterwards. Because it is abbreviated, it is pretty intense.