Chance me for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terpfan15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been thinking about applying to DO school and need some help in regards to my chances.

Major: Physiology and Neurobiology
MCAT: 509
Cumulative GPA: 3.39
Science GPA: 3.23
Clinical Experience as Scribe: 400 hours
Clinical Volunteer at a clinic for the disadvantaged - 300 hours
Shadowing (non-clincal) Hours: 200 hrs
Research: 8 months in a mouse lab

Members don't see this ad.

You’re in good shape for D.O. School!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I have been thinking about applying to DO school and need some help in regards to my chances.

Major: Physiology and Neurobiology
MCAT: 509
Cumulative GPA: 3.39
Science GPA: 3.23
Clinical Experience as Scribe: 400 hours
Clinical Volunteer at a clinic for the disadvantaged - 300 hours
Shadowing (non-clincal) Hours: 200 hrs
Research: 8 months in a mouse lab
Chances but the low ssGPA is a bit worrisome. Apply broadly

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem pretty competitive, however I would definitely try to retake some classes in which you got poor grades. Your GPA will improve and make you much more competitive. Maybe an extra semester of undergrad where you retake the classes in which you scored poorly? If not, I def think you have a decent shot, but if you improved the GPA up to a 3.5-3.6 you will absolutely get in. Good luck!

What's the point of retaking? I think it is better to take upper level courses or courses that you haven't taken yet.

Agree with this. A retake will have the same effect on your GPA as a new and unique class would, with the added benefit or you being able to broaden your horizons instead of, well, doing the same thing again.

I second the retake a class you got lower grades in, shows improvement. I would also highly recommend shadowing a D.O. You got a solid shot though. Good luck!

Apply to your state MD schools. I personally think your GPAs are fine (could be better) but your ECs are on the low side. If you don't get in this cycle I would work on improving those.

I second the retake a class you got lower grades in, shows improvement. I would also highly recommend shadowing a D.O. You got a solid shot though. Good luck!
Don't do this. Retaking a course doesn't look as good as a brand new one as you should be already familiar with the material