Chance me for RPI-AMC Physician-Scientist BS/MD Program

lonesomefish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ACT: 34 (36 E, 34 M, 36 R, 31 S, 06 Writing (aahhh!), 30 ELA, 33 STEM
SAT II: Chem 690, Math 2 720
GPA: 4.0 UW (school does not weight)
Taken 4 APs so far AP World History (3), APUSH (4), AP Bio (3) AP Chem (3) (AP scores are not great, i hope it doesn't hurt me)
Senior year courses (6 or 7 APs): AP Eng lit, AP Econ (Macro and Micro), AP Physics I, AP Stat, AP Calc AB, AP Psych (I will have taken all 10 APs and every honors course offered by my school by the time i graduate)
School does not rank

LORs are great, my counselor rec is 9/10, my eng lit is 10/10, but my physics might be generic (7/10) (The problem is that RPI never downloaded my english teacher's rec, and so they are basing my academic ability off of my physics teachers rec, which is probably very generic, cant do anything about that)

Major ECs:

I did research at Albany Med for 2 summers (740 hours total) investigating Parkinson's Disease and Epilepsy, and I am on 1 paper in submission and 2 posters. I learned a lot and I definitely want to continue researching in college (preferably in his lab). Most importantly, the professor that I worked with at AMC wrote me an incredible letter of recommendation (he said that he has mentored 30 grad/undergrad/PhDs and that I am one of the best students he has ever had in the lab, even against past college students. I showed the letter to my advisor and he said it was one of the best and longest letters he has read, and he highlighted examples of my research work and intellectual curiosity).

I also shadowed a neurologist at AMC for close to 50 hrs. He taught me a lot of things, and I am excited to enter his profession. I performed some tests on patients with his supervision.
Volunteer work at another nearby hospital for 50 hours.

Co founded albany brain bee with the professor I worked with and with a bunch of people from AMC and UAlbany and SfN. I maintain website and do public outreach. The brain bee here attracts schools from all over the region (around 20). I also participated in the first year and came in 4th.

Other non-medical/science related (minor) ECs:
VP of class freshman year
Science Olympiad (won some medals at regional competition)
NHS
Natural Helpers (elected by peers as a person who is approachable to talk to about school/personal problems, receive yearly training)
Varsity tennis since sophomore year

Indian Male
NY (live near RPI and AMC)
Income around 190k

I think I have made it pretty clear through my application and essays that I am committed towards a career in medicine with a focus on research.

With the information I have provided, does it seem like I have a good chance of at least making it to the interview stage? I have not received the supplemental application from AMC yet (I think it is because my ACT scores were delayed, they only received them last week). I know they release supplemental applications and interview notifications in batches, so does anyone know around when the next batch(es) will be released? Thanks so much!

PS. Also, if you get a chance, plz chance me for Harvard, Brown UG and PLME, Duke, Vandy, U of Rochester UG and REMS, and U Mich. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey hey, first off I'm jealous of that 36 reading haha, would've brought me up to a 36 total :D

But anyways I don't really know about chances because I am only applying to them myself and have gotten interviews from 6.5/12 that I have heard back from (one alternate) but while your AP's are on the low side (I think some programs require like 8+ but not the ones you mentioned I think) you have really really good EC (although you already knew that :)).

I guess the main thing that pushed me to reply is that REMS interview invitations came out a day or two ago, and definitely before the time you posted that so maybe check your email. Um UR UG is easy; I would say you can get into all UG easy except maybe Harvard (luck) and PLME is luck too I think.

Anyways good luck, we both applied to RPI so maybe we both get in :) although it'd definitely be easier if less Indians and Asians applied lol
Hey @Cheezin, thanks for your thoughts. I was rejected by REMS, as I had expected. And wow, congrats in getting interviews to around half of the places you applied at! You are obviously quite talented and smart, I think any college would be lucky to have you. Good luck with everything, and I hope we both get into RPI! :)