General Admissions & OTCAS Chance Me On These Schools, Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bokonomy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to whittle down my schools at the moment. I'm considering applying to these schools: Thomas Jefferson, Temple, University of New England, Salus?, San Jose??, NYU?, Bay Path, and Springfield College?.

I'm a psych senior with a minor in behavioral neuroscience. I was previously a special education major, so my previous experiences will hopefully enhance my app.

Right now, I expect my OTCAS GPA to be a 3.5. My prereq varies, but for Jefferson, I believe it's a 3.83 and 3.82 for Temple. It should be around a 3.8 for everywhere except maybe Springfield, which should be a little lower because I received a B in Bio. I'm missing stats and abnormal, which I'm completing at the end of the semester (it looks like I should get As in both, but that doesn't help me now). My last 60 credits is probably around the same, because I have an F in my last 60 which is killing me.

I got a 454 on my MAT, which means I scored 98th percentile for the general and 99th percentile among prospective OT students. I'm crossing my fingers and hope this makes a difference for TJU and Temple. I've heard TJU doesn't care that much about test scores...but being outside of 2 standard deviations is pretty cool?

Work-I have around 2500 hours at a group home for adults with developmental disabilities(over 2 years), worked one summer at a residential camp for developmental disabilities, started working at the pre-school on campus, and I'm going to start working as a reading tutor for elementary school students.

OT Shadowing- I observed for 40 hours at an elementary school, 35 in a PT/OT program for people with developmental disabilities, and maybe 30 split between inpatient and outpatient through the local hospital.

Volunteering-Not much. Only 15 hours as a mentor and 28 as a reading tutor.

Other-Joined the Psych Club this year, but no leadership experience. Some additional experiences in schools through practicum experiences that I'm including in my app as well. I also just started volunteering with my neuroscience professor doing research on one of his projects. I don't know if I'll get to be an author on it or not, though. I'm very excited about the research, and it's making me rethink my school choices a bit.

Anyway, I recently started getting involved in research, and I see that the field could benefit from more people with a bit more of a neuroscience background to help with evidence-based practice. I hope to do a neuroscience Ph.D after working for a few years in pediatrics to help supplement the field. A professor at TJU is doing some stuff that interests me there, so I'd love a shot there.

I know my stats aren't amazing, but what do you think? I really would like opportunities to get involved with neuro research in autism (but PTSD or ADHD would be cool, too), so I'm really hoping for somewhere like TJU. I know this is long, so thanks to whoever reads this!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I honestly think you have great stats! I hope you get your first choice on where you'd like to end up!

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly think you have great stats! I hope you get your first choice on where you'd like to end up!
Thanks. This whole thing can be a crapshoot; it's really hard to tell whether or not we're on track...

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to bump this, but any idea on how Temple/TJU/Salus factors in GRE/MAT scores? I realize they're not a great indicator of success, but I'm hoping they'll get me a second look at TJU/Temple anyway...

I hate to bump this, but any idea on how Temple/TJU/Salus factors in GRE/MAT scores? I realize they're not a great indicator of success, but I'm hoping they'll get me a second look at TJU/Temple anyway...

I applied to those schools last cycle (and interviewed at all of them) and I really don't think they factor test scores all that much. I think they mainly want to see that you scored over the requirement they set. TJU especially appeared to be really big on life experience/extracurriculars last cycle. I had high GPA/prereq GPA/test scores and was wait listed while I saw others with lower GPAs/test scores but with way more experience accepted. Temple and Salus seemed to weigh more academically. Just my thoughts from my experience!