Chance me please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

30AAorbust

Reaction score
- California resident.
-Major: Biology
-DAT: 25AA/26TS/24PAT
-Community college GPA: 3.33
-University GPA: 3.84
-GPA: Cumulative(3.45) Science(3.35)
-Date of applying: 1st-day apps opened
-Shadowing: 250 with one general dentist in person, 25 hours with a different general dentist at a different office, 35 online shadowing hours, 60 hours shadowing different specialties at different offices.
- Dental-related experience: Roughly 200 hours spread across pre-dental activities at dental schools, events, conferences, and hands-on lab courses in sim labs for pre-dental students.
- Extracurriculars: 100 hours across three different clubs that I had an officer position in for a few years.
- Community service: 300 on one activity that I maintained for the long term and another 50 hours volunteering at dental clinics that offer dental care to low-income communities.
- 2 letters of recommendation from professors who I believe wrote my strong letters and one from a general dentist who wrote me maybe an average letter not too sure about that dentist one.
- Personal statement: Spent a lot of time on it and had it reviewed by several dental school students so I believe it should be somewhat good and unique.
- Schools applied: UCLA, UCSF, UOP, UNLV ( for the California schools, I have participated in a lot of the pre-dental events they offer such as the pre-dental Bootcamp for UOP, impressions conference for UCSF, and Basic Dental Principles for UCLA if it matters).

---> Although I do have the upward trend that schools like to see, I am somewhat worried just because the average GPA for the California Dental schools I applied to are quite a bit higher than mine. UCLA is my top choice but I am not sure if I should apply to more schools also in case I do not get into the California schools I applied to. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and good luck to everyone this application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

- California resident.
-Shadowing: 250 with one general dentist in person, 25 hours with a different general dentist at a different office, 35 online shadowing hours, 60 hours shadowing different specialties at different offices.
- Dental-related experience: Roughly 200 hours spread across pre-dental activities at dental schools, events, conferences, and hands-on lab courses in sim labs for pre-dental students.
- Extracurriculars: 100 hours across three different clubs that I had an officer position in for a few years.
- Community service: 300 on one activity that I maintained for the long term and another 50 hours volunteering at dental clinics that offer dental care to low-income communities.
- 2 letters of recommendation from professors who I believe wrote my strong letters and one from a general dentist who wrote me maybe an average letter not too sure about that dentist one.
- Personal statement: Spent a lot of time on it and had it reviewed by several dental school students so I believe it should be somewhat good and unique.
- Schools applied: UCLA, UCSF, UOP, UNLV ( for the California schools, I have participated in a lot of the pre-dental events they offer such as the pre-dental Bootcamp for UOP, impressions conference for UCSF, and Basic Dental Principles for UCLA if it matters).

---> Although I do have the upward trend that schools like to see, I am somewhat worried just because the average GPA for the California Dental schools I applied to are quite a bit higher than mine. UCLA is my top choice but I am not sure if I should apply to more schools also in case I do not get into the California schools I applied to. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and good luck to everyone this application cycle.
you've done all you could for your short list
trust the process
but realize that having such a short list of highly competitive schools puts you at a disadvantage...

Reactions: 1 user
you've done all you could for your short list
trust the process
but realize that having such a short list of highly competitive schools puts you at a disadvantage...

sorry, only skimmed the last sentences
yes, you should absolutely apply to more schools if you want to avoid reapplying...

Members don't see this ad :)
- California resident.

I think you have a decent shot at the UCs but add like 4-5 more schools, some public but some private too. Apply to more and you can afford to be picky with the interviews you attend, but if you apply to too few then you might get screwed and wish you had applied to more the first time around.