Chance of doing well in the end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seravok

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Foremost, I've browsed the SDN threads here and there but finally signed up today. Read the rules and thought this would be the best place to post my question. My apologies if it's not the in correct area.

I'm just a first year premed student that bombed a Social Problems college course (F) while in high school. Completely hated the class due to the teachers attitude, so I stopped doing anything in the class within the last two months. Finished high school with a 3.44 GPA. So yes, it is my fault and I can do better. It wasn't my first choice to go the medical route but it is now. Currently work as a phlebotomist full time and attend school. Been shadowing a trauma & transplant surgeon off and on for a month now and will continue to do so. Also have a connection to a Chief of Staff for more learning opportunities.
With my shadowing, doing well in college, and current job, how badly is that F in Social Problems going to affect me? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If it happened in high school then I wouldn't include it at all unless it shows up on your college transcripts. Typically med schools don't even look at things from before your undergrad years, just like residencies don't look at things from your pre-med years. Even if it shows up on your transcript, you'll be able to explain it in secondaries. If you do well in college and get mostly A's and B's, you can chalk it up to immaturity or not being ready for that class level or something like that and most schools won't think twice about it. For now, don't worry about it, dominate your college classes, and if you have to include it then it will be an afterthought at most places.

If it happened in high school then I wouldn't include it at all unless it shows up on your college transcripts. Typically med schools don't even look at things from before your undergrad years, just like residencies don't look at things from your pre-med years. Even if it shows up on your transcript, you'll be able to explain it in secondaries. If you do well in college and get mostly A's and B's, you can chalk it up to immaturity or not being ready for that class level or something like that and most schools won't think twice about it. For now, don't worry about it, dominate your college classes, and if you have to include it then it will be an afterthought at most places.
Quite the relief right there. Always just thought it'd be look down on forever, haha. Definitely striving to do better day after day since it only gets more difficult. Thank you for the insight!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If it happened in high school, there's a 0% chance of an adcom seeing it.

No problem. Plenty of people have problems in high school, and I understand your concern. No one will count something like that against you though if you can move past it and do well.

If it happened in high school, there's a 0% chance of an adcom seeing it.

No Doug.

Unless it was a class they took at a college while in high school, then it will be on that college transcript. I doubt any med school will care once they see he took the course while in high school unless he's really struggling in college though. Even if that were true, he'd have bigger issues to fix for than some F he got back in high school.