Chance Please and Possible school to apply...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joejoejoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
cutting it close. dental schools want to see you do really well in graduate programs, since it's pretty much your last ditch effort to get into dental school.

get your grad gpa to at least a 3.5 and you're set.

Members don't see this ad :)
could you guys advice me on appropriate school list? also am i in a bad situation if i m getting like 3.4 in masters biomedical in boston area?

Go for expensive private schools especially newer ones.

Both Midwesterns (Az, Il), ASDOH, MSDOH, LECOM, Creighton, roseman, BU, NYU, NOVA, tufts, temple, Pitt, UDM, case, louisville, marquette. Don't bother with USC or western if you're not from CA though.

usc and western are not private schools if i remember correctly. any reason? how do i look in terms of as an applicant? how does my dat look? competitive eneough?

usc and western are not private schools if i remember correctly. any reason? how do i look in terms of as an applicant? how does my dat look? competitive eneough?

Your DAT is fine.....at this point in the game your biggest weakness is your sGPA and masters GPA, but it seems like it's too late to fix that for the upcoming cycle.

USC and Western actually both are private schools so you could give them a shot. I'd agree with hunters list for the most part though....your application is OKAY, not great. Apply early and to many schools and you have a pretty good chance at getting interviews.

Yeah they're both private but so many highly qualified ppl from CA who are desperate to stay in CA apply to them, so they are very picky.

BTW how in the world did you get 1000 hours shadowing and assisting ? I did like 60-70 hours lol.

According to stats I found and compiled the out-of-state acceptance rate at USC was 24% for DDS (the highest OOS acceptance rate in the state) with an average 3.3 GPA. Remember though, that's average, so as many below as above. In light of that fact, I'm not sure why OP shouldn't bother applying to USC except that it's one of the most expensive dental schools in the country.

Only apply to ASDOH if your volunteering is primarily to underserved populations. Good luck. Maybe Ohio State or Indiana?

Members don't see this ad :)

Both Midwesterns (Az, Il), ASDOH, MSDOH, LECOM, Creighton, roseman, BU, NYU, NOVA, tufts, temple, Pitt, UDM, case, louisville, marquette. Don't bother with USC or western if you're not from CA though.
Pitt and Louisville are not private schools but I agree that they are within reach considering op's stats. Pitt may be a little bit of a stretch though because of the low gpa.

So why not western or USC if your not from Cali

yup. western is like 6% (which is pretty good for oos). USC about 2% for oos. but they still accept 42 oos a year. which is just slightly worse than about any of the other school on the list.

but yeah. read the stickies we have here. pretty much explains everything.

dude, dont let this people get your down, your stats are not even bad. You got a good chance to get in somewhere, even at your state school.

when can i update my class grades. i think i might have to take few more courses during to get 3.5 in grad but that would be after i apply. will schools wait or they can give interview? also I am missing one prereq (which I failed). Should I put in as planned course even though I didn't even sign up (may take it spring)...

That's probably referring to class size distribution. I am talking about acceptance rate. 2013 - 1942 oos applicant and 34 oos admitted (and all 34 actually enrolled)

can someone please answer my questions instead of discussing CA schools. Thank you!