Chances? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYURWJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody :)

I'm in a bit of a situation and was hoping to get some realistic and mature input on it.
I was wondering what my chances were of getting into allopathic schools for this cycle and if I should take the MCAT again (given that it is changing soon)

-GPA: cumulative and BCPM around 3.65
-MCAT: 1st take was a 27 and 2nd take was a 29 (fairly even subscores except for the 8 in VR -.-)
-I have a lot of EC's/volunteer/research experiences including internationally
-Not that this is a recognized minority or maybe even relevant, but I am part of the LGBTQ community, which I have expressed in certain secondary apps.
-non-traditional student
-I have applied broadly to MD schools (about 20)

I'm mainly wondering whether or not I should try to retake the MCAT again as I'm weary of what it would look like to have taken it three times and after Jan 2015, the exam will change.

Please let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You only incrementally improved your score on the second try, why would a third try magically get your score to a more competitive number?
If you applied strategically, aiming for schools that have median scores in the low 30s, do not favor instate applicants, and whose 10th-90th %ile ranges run down into the high 20s (like Drexel, VCU, EVMS, Rush and the newest MD schools), then yes, you have a chance.

You fine for all DO schools too.

Hi everybody :)

I'm in a bit of a situation and was hoping to get some realistic and mature input on it.
I was wondering what my chances were of getting into allopathic schools for this cycle and if I should take the MCAT again (given that it is changing soon)

-GPA: cumulative and BCPM around 3.65
-MCAT: 1st take was a 27 and 2nd take was a 29 (fairly even subscores except for the 8 in VR -.-)
-I have a lot of EC's/volunteer/research experiences including internationally
-Not that this is a recognized minority or maybe even relevant, but I am part of the LGBTQ community, which I have expressed in certain secondary apps.
-non-traditional student
-I believe my PS is passionate and inspiring
-I have applied broadly to MD schools (about 20)

I'm mainly wondering whether or not I should try to retake the MCAT again as I'm weary of what it would look like to have taken it three times and after Jan 2015, the exam will change. This score would only be valid for the next application cycle (which is fine). I'm also concerned about taking the MCAT again is because it changes after Jan. 2015 and I don't have the necessary pre-reqs at the moment to take the new exam.

Please let me know what you guys think!

Reactions: 1 user