Chances/advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bryanthebold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I began preparing for the start of application for 2014 I've gotten a bit concerned of my chances of getting in. I'd love some advice!

GPA: 3.14c 2.98s
I've got two degrees (biology & psychology) and around 180 credit hours total. I started my school career in high school at an early college high school. Basically it was a community college that I attended in HS. I got my AS when I graduated from HS, which felt pretty good, but it wasn't with the most stellar GPA. Tried to get back into school after that and decided I needed a year off which left me with some W's. Finished my BA's up in MT with several C's in core science classes. I ended off my last year with a 3.6 both semsters.

MCAT: haven't taken.
My current plan is to take it end of January. I thought I was doing well studying but I realized today that I was only half way through the berkely review series and I may be pushing it. Considering my GPA is low I don't think I could take a lower end MCAT score. I've been thinking of switching to the March testing date to give me extra time. I realize its tough to figure this out without a mcat score.

EC's:
I've been an EMT-B since 2006 and currently work as an tech in the ED (2 years) and as a wilderness medicine instructor (year and a half). I spent some time in Jamaica working with PT doc's at an orphange. Also was a proctor for psychology. I've easily got enough shadowing time, although none specifically with a DO. I also recently started on search and rescue. I was an ED volunteer for about 6 months too.

I have been considering retaking Ochem II and Physics II, both of which I had C's in and taking MCAT end of May. I figure if I have my application ready I can submit in July. I was considering MD as well but I don't think my application would be high enough GPA/MCAT wise.

...back to night shift in the ED :D Thanks in advance for the advice!

EDIT: Its worth noting that I also worked as a lab tech in a neuroscience lab for a year. During that time I accumulated an NSF grant for one semester and according to my PI I helped him win a hefty NIH grant. Hopefully my research will be published this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As I began preparing for the start of application for 2014 I've gotten a bit concerned of my chances of getting in. I'd love some advice!

GPA: 3.1c 2.9s
I've got two degrees (biology & psychology) and around 180 credit hours total. I started my school career in high school at an early college high school. Basically it was a community college that I attended in HS. I got my AS when I graduated from HS, which felt pretty good, but it wasn't with the most stellar GPA. Tried to get back into school after that and decided I needed a year off which left me with some W's. Finished my BA's up in MT with several C's in core science classes. I ended off my last year with a 3.6 both semsters.

MCAT: haven't taken.
My current plan is to take it end of January. I thought I was doing well studying but I realized today that I was only half way through the berkely review series and I may be pushing it. Considering my GPA is low I don't think I could take a lower end MCAT score. I've been thinking of switching to the March testing date to give me extra time. I realize its tough to figure this out without a mcat score.

EC's:
I've been an EMT-B since 2006 and currently work as an tech in the ED (2 years) and as a wilderness medicine instructor (year and a half). I spent some time in Jamaica working with PT doc's at an orphange. Also was a proctor for psychology. I've easily got enough shadowing time, although none specifically with a DO. I also recently started on search and rescue. I was an ED volunteer for about 6 months too.

I have been considering retaking Ochem II and Physics II, both of which I had C's in and taking MCAT end of May. I figure if I have my application ready I can submit in July. I was considering MD as well but I don't think my application would be high enough GPA/MCAT wise.

...back to night shift in the ED :D Thanks in advance for the advice!

You look like you would be a really interesting candidate. But an overly challenged GPA will hurt you if you don't have a strong MCAT score. The low sGPA is particularly concerning. You need to show evidence that you can survive the science-intense environment of med school.

Hopefully you are aware of the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy. Have you retaken any other classes for the same credits or greater? (Need not have been at the same school or have identical course titles.)

DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

AMCAS BCPM GPA varies from AACOMAS sGPA, and includes (scroll to bottom half): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

With the above tools, figure out how many retakes (only counting the last grade earned) you'd need to get your sGPA to 3.3 or greater. If you have any prerequisites with a C- or below, they should be retaken for sure.

A 3.6 senior year is great. What was your junior year GPA? What sGPA did you get for the last 3-4 terms? Do you have any high grades in upper-level sciences?

I updated my OP with the values from the calculator. Couldn't get it to work for Senior and Junior GPA's for some reason, but looking on my transcript I can tell that my last 2 semesters were 3.65, almost all science.

My last 4 semesters look as followed....
Global Health B+ Junior
Neuroscience B Junior
Organic I C- Junior
Organic I lab A Junior
Psych of personality B Junior
Behavior & Evolution B Junior
Ochem II C Junior
Ochem II Lab A Junior
Social Psych C+ Junior
Psych proctor A Junior
Biochem B Senior
Endocrinology 3 A Senior
Ecology A- Senior
Ecology Lab A- Senior
Applied Calc A Senior
Genetics and Evolution A- Senior
Microbio B Senior
Microbio Lab B+ Senior
Microbial Diversity A Senior
Epidemiology A Senior

I feel my upper division science classes were mostly solid. Frankly I thought I did better in those than core classes!

Looks like for sure I will need to retake Ochem series, if I get A's in that it pops up my science GPA to 3.1 which makes me feel a lot more confident and will hopefully let me be choosy with my schools.

Frankly I feel that with some more volunteering I would be set on my EC's. I want to spin the wilderness medicine instructor as a big strength (which truly it has been a fantastic experience) plus my ER time helps too.

Thanks again for you help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Strongly concur with the Cat. You've got to get that sGPA >3, or you're going to be triaged out of a LOT of schools.

You look like you would be a really interesting candidate. But an overly challenged GPA will hurt you if you don't have a strong MCAT score. The low sGPA is particularly concerning. You need to show evidence that you can survive the science-intense environment of med school.

Hopefully you are aware of the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy. Have you retaken any other classes for the same credits or greater? (Need not have been at the same school or have identical course titles.)

DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

AMCAS BCPM GPA varies from AACOMAS sGPA, and includes (scroll to bottom half): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

With the above tools, figure out how many retakes (only counting the last grade earned) you'd need to get your sGPA to 3.3 or greater. If you have any prerequisites with a C- or below, they should be retaken for sure.

A 3.6 senior year is great. What was your junior year GPA? What sGPA did you get for the last 3-4 terms? Do you have any high grades in upper-level sciences?

Besides more nonmedical community service, I suggest you try really hard to shadow a DO for the sake of interview conversations, and to get an LOR for those DO schools that require or strongly recommend one.

Very nice transcript for senior year, BTW. I think it will satisfy many an adcomm that you have what it takes.